Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Default LR exhaust.

I have been reading alot about exhaust systems for the LR focus.

Hitech / herrod have had a fair mention.

At the moment Im only looking at a catback, Im not looking into it for the sound but rather the performance upgrade end.

Does Installing a Catback system make a noticable difference to the power output of the 1.8 16V zetec?

The only reason Im a little stand-offish about the headers, hi-flow cat is the problems with sensors, tuning and things I've read of. I have the money to install a full system, but if any of these problems arise I wouldnt have the cash to rectify them straight away.

Im trying to look for all the "bang for you buck" upgrades. At the moment the $53 2.0ltr auto air deflector has been the best purchase, according to the seat of my pants

Any feedback would be great thanks.

LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

If it's sound you're after, then the original system Zetec had is probably the go. He does describe the setup somewhere here on the Forum, which basically any decent zorst shop could fabricate for you.

(Found it.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=exhaust

I have the Herrod/Hi tech system, and I like it, but it is reasonably quiet.

It has two resonators. I think if you have one you get a good throaty sound
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

All you need is a 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch with a single muffler. Dual muffler setups are too restrictive and aren't very loud at all (as per the Hi Tech system) whereas the single muffler works best to cut restriction and let it flow freely.

DON'T get a hot dog resonator. They sound terrible and belond on Excels and Mirages. Any good local exhaust shop can fabricate a $250-$300 mild steel exhaust in 2 1/4 inch, with a single mid-flow or good-flow (not high-flow) muffler to give you solide midrange and top end, with a bit of sound. It will be road legal and fun at the same time.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I would rather it be quiter, than louder... So the hitech system is right up my alley.

I know what size pipes, types of mufflers I need etc. What Im trying to find out is, does a catback system make a noticeable performance gain? I know its not going to be great, but can you notice / measure a gain?

Every car I have changed, I have done a full system with headers etc. So Im not up on the catback advantages. I assume its very minimal gains.

I dont want an exhaust for sound. I couldnt care less if it stayed stock. But Im trying to find out where I should spend my money first to get some extra fun

I normally dont mind spending money on doing up cars, I enjoy it. But this is my daily driver, I have another project which is getting more attention, so I need to choose wisely where my money goes on this one.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

the Hitech system will be what you are alooking for. tuned to your needs supposedly.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I will post these. Shouldn't really but I will. Tell me what you think of my Hi-tech exhaust

OUTSIDE

INSIDE

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

From what I could tell thats pretty damn close to what I would want in sound, not over the top.

Did you get much performance gain from the catback system?

Thanks very much
Old 05-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So long ago now. I can't remember.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

i got a complete system through hitech and i love it. Can't vouch for the gains from a cat back tho, i dont think it would be much.

If you're in sydney you're best off talking to the dude from hitech and see what he can put together.
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

TJ, did you have any troubles with the check engine lights or the ecu running the car rich?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #11
melbzetec

From memory, the HiTech catback should be worth about 5kw, and take away a flat spot that is sometimes found at around 2000 odd rpm on the stock system.

I dynoed most of my mods, but the catbcak was the first mod and I didn't do a stock dyno read.

5kw doesn't seem much, but few mods on the Focus give much more by themselves. It is only in combination that they start to build up
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah well I havent really done anything to the performance already. Just a k&n panel filter (didnt seem to do anything even with ECU reset), and the air deflector off the auto (Gave better throttle response).

I'll be sure to contact Hitech and see what they offer. The stainless no doubt would probably be a little expensive for me, with no added performance benefits for the extra cash...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

if you want a bit of power and better responsiveness i would suggest a cat back, the SVT snorkel which you can pick up from ebay.com USA fairlyy cheap, and a CFM 65m Throttle Body. car should go pretty good then.. as in .. really god.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:46 AM   #14
amlohac

my old focus had a 2.25 cat and pipe all the way to the back end, mid mount straight through muffler, it was very loud for such a small car, wish i had done some sound clips before i sold it, not a great deal of performance with just the cat back (had a cat back only for 2 years before i replaces the cat) really not noticeable at all, maybe a bit more responsiveness. I had no problems with check engine lights or the ecu when i changed the cat. I would suggest a k&n panel filter big snorkel and a cat back if you want something with a slightly noticeable gain.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #15
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I've never had an engine light come on since the exhaust was installed. hitech re installed all the sensors from the old system into the new so i wouldn't have any issues and so the car behaves the way it should.
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #16
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Thanks guys.

It might have to wait a little while now.

I just picked up some xr4 wheels for a steal, going to put tyres on them today So I dont have the cash for the exhaust now...

I'll throw some pics up when they are on the car, should look a lot better that hub caps
Old 13-10-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Ahh so thats who matt sold his Rims too...

Hope you like em mate.

Should look good and very different to what every1 else has.

Old 13-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yep, I picked them up from Matt a few days ago.

Pics are in a new thread if your interested...
Old 18-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
Zetec_170
Zetec_170

Just a quick note, unless you are putting out big power a change of exhaust is not going to give a noticable power gain.
2002 3 Door Zetec Coupe, 18" BMS Multispokes, Sports Muffler, Kingsprings, Wings West Avenger 4 Piece Body kit, and an ST170 write-off which will be donating its Brakes, interior, suspension and gearbox to my Zetec.
Zetec_170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Trueish. A full exhaust with a tune will give you a noticable power gain. but then again thats with a tune.

Im just going to replace the stock muffler with something better flowing jsut for sound. The turbo/SC will take care of the rest and yes i understand that the Stock Exhaust system will effect the amount of flow and power. but 7psi = 130FWKW on a stock exhaust is more than enough.

Old 19-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

A guy at the Motorshow mentioned something about a company called MILLTEK having compatable exhausts for the LR Focus. Any thoughts about them???

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #22
melbzetec

A very popular UK brand.
The Herrod catback exhaust I have reputedly showed a 5kW improvement on the Herrod dyno.when tested. I can't verify as it was my first mod and I didn't take a base dyno figure on my car.

Headers back will give a good improvement in power and torque