Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
sly
Sly like a G6

Default Yet Another S1 Brake Upgrade Option, Fits E Series Too

Picked up a copy of "Street Machine Fords" Issue 13 the other day. There's a story on a front brake upgrade for EA - AU1. It's an exchange package based on modified uprights (stub axles, spindles, steering knuckles, depending on which school you went to). You fit it up and send your old uprights back to the supplier to do another kit.

The upright is modified by machining off the pad retaining lugs and enlarging the holes to fit a dog bone which carries a new caliper. Calipers used are PBR units, either VE Commodore (requires 17" wheels) or C4 Corvette which allows 16" wheels to be used. A BA caliper was tried but wouldn't fit under 17's.

It's not cheap at $1695 RRP, BUT it does include:
  • new calipers
  • new rotors
  • new pads (low-dust based on BMW compound, other options available)
  • new ADR-compliant braided lines
  • new upper and lower ball joints
  • new hubs and bearings
  • the dog bones
and only requires changing the uprights, you keep the existing lower control arms and swaybar. While a complete s/h BA setup is cheaper (anywhere between $500 to $1000), if you just bought the s/h suspension bits then added new calipers, rotors, pads, braided lines and balljoints, it wouldn't be hard to spend this much.

And of course the BA route isn't available to E-series owners AFAIK.

Apparently this kit from UPC is available through Autobarn.

The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting, more to look into now
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Good to know someone out there is trying to look after us people with 1920 style brakes.
Old 14-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
sly
Sly like a G6

Funnily enough it wasn't a giant leap for them to develop. It's the same kit they do for saloon car racing.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing that info Sly, good one!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I'm not sure if this is the same kit, but there's a kit recently launched that uses neither the E or A series offsets - might be something to look out for.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
sly
Sly like a G6

Do you mean "neither" or either? Neither would be difficult as none of the E- or A/B-series wheels would fit...

Sorry, just having a smartrrse moment... AFAIK this kit can be ordered with either E-series or A/B-series offsets, not sure if they just fit a hub to suit or supply the upright from the same model. Probably the same kit.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 14-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Do you mean "neither" or either? Neither would be difficult as none of the E- or A/B-series wheels would fit...

Sorry, just having a smartrrse moment... AFAIK this kit can be ordered with either E-series or A/B-series offsets, not sure if they just fit a hub to suit or supply the upright from the same model. Probably the same kit.
The one I'm referring to uses neither offset IIRC. Basically the wheels will either fit something like 20mm in on an E series and like 10mm out on an A series. This is all from memory though, so I'll try and find where I read it and confirm.
Old 15-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
SammyDen
Banned

these sound incredibly similar to those ones with the offset problems.
SammyDen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyDen
these sound incredibly similar to those ones with the offset problems.
That's what I was thinking too. I think the ones with the offset prob used a Mustang rotor.
Old 15-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
twr7cx

I've spoken to Tony from UPC and he has informed me that these kits do not give E-series AU-onwards offset. These only give a 20mm increase, which is not enough to equal AU-onwards offset. He says aset up providing AU-onwards offset is still underdevelopment.

You can purchase these direct from him (, or on ebay (username MR-SPARES) as well - but he doesn't seem to provide any discount for by-passing Autobarn...
His details:
UPC-Ultra Performance Components PTY LTD
Factory direct 03 9723 9924 or 9723 9961, 8.30am-5.00pm
competitionengineering@optusnet.com.au
http://stores.ebay.com.au/MR-SPARES
Old 18-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
SupahStah
Tha Stah

does anyone know what disks they use? if you knew that then you could make a "dog leg" out of decent thickness and strength steal and some vy calipers from holden or something else. im sure it can be done for under 1000 bucks.

i heard some were about somone running vt twin piston brakes on an e-series? anyone heard anything about this?
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
sly
Sly like a G6

They make their own rotors. You would also need to grind off the pad lugs.

You would also need to know what you were doing, engineering-wise, so as not to weaken the uprights. This kit's dog bones are designed (ie engineered) to absorb stresses internally. It ain't as simple as hacking into a chunk of steel with an angle grinder.

Something tells me the C4 Corvette calipers are not a million miles away from the VT ones. I'm offline for most of this week, will check the PBR cattledog later, see if the C4's are listed and compare with the VT part no's.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 29-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
twr7cx

Got an e-mail from Tony, says that the brake upgrade kits in the AU-onwards offset to suit E-series should be ready by the 8th of January.