Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default BA XR8 pod setup into AU i6 - my bodgy how to!

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd post up some info for anyone that's thinking about this intake setup.

I bought a BA XR8 pod box setup that had already been modified to take a Tickford/BA XR6T snorkel, and it also came with the mounting bracket and a new K&N.

I also bought some 3" mandrel bent intake piping a while back.

Final item needed is a silicone reducer (and suitable hose clamps) to join the pod up with the intake pipe. In my case I needed a 3.5" to 3" reducer, but if you're using a standard intake pipe, I'm pretty sure you'll need a 3.5" 5o 2.5".

This stuff has been sitting around for over a year, and I was bored today so thought I'd give it a crack.

Tools required:

-10mm socket to remove the air box and intake pipes,

-8mm socket to use for hose clamps, and to bolt down pod box to the mounting bracket.

-Phillips head screwdriver to remove the snorkel

-Flat blade screwdriver to undo all the hose clamps.

-Approx 4mm drillbit (and drill of couse!)

-3 screws to mount pod box mounting bracket with.

Here's what I started with:

First step is to remove the original air box, snorkel and intake piping (note, if you're keeping your standard piping, no need to remove it.)

Next, I popped on the mandrel bent pipes - just goes straight back on as standard. I would've liked to replace the rubber concertina hose with silicone, but I couldn't find any in the angle required.

Next step is to sit the BA XR8 pod box in place to get an idea of where to fit the bracket.

In my case, I bolted the bracket down with the factory airbox hole at the front just near the headlight.
I then bent the bracket slightly at the other end (there are 2 points on this side) around the wheel arch so it sat flush, and then drilled holes to bolt through there. I probably should have tapped a thread, but I just used self tappers.

Using the rubber spacers off the standard airbox, I then bolted the bracket down using the standard air box bolts.

Next step was to bolt the pod box down to the bracket.

I then refitted the snorkel.

Finally I slipped a 3.5" to 3" silicone reducer between the air box and the intake pipe (3.5" on the pod end, 3" on the intake pipe).

Normally, on the BA there's a rubber snorkel that sits on the front of the pod box. While I do have this, it won't fit due to the AU headlights. I believe this can fit however with an AU XR as the lights are far more compact than non-XR lights.

At this stage, I've left the rubber lower snorkel off, and I've left the hole open. I'm thinking I might cut down the BA rubber snorkel and sit it in place. Either that, or I'll just use a short run of autobarn spec intake pipe.

Here's the final results:

I already had a Tickford snorkel and a K&N panel filter, and it's hard to say whether the car's actually any quicker for any of this (which probably means it's not!), but it does feel a fair bit more responsive, and has a MUCH deeper intake roar. Sounds ok for a 6 IMO, but no doubt I'll get sick of it and rip it all off soon!

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

looks good any chance of a couple of pics of how the snorkle connects to the ba box
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR
looks good any chance of a couple of pics of how the snorkle connects to the ba box
Thanks mate. I'll get a couple of pics over the next few days for ya.

It basically just connects exactly the same as the standard airbox.

The pod box has been modified to take a standard style snorkel. I believe FTG do them, and a few other places do them as well.

To do it yourself, you just cut a hole into the box, get some PVC pipe of the appropriate diameter (which is what looks like has been used in mine), stick it in and glue it in place.
Old 27-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Black XR
Narooma blue XR8 ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Thanks mate. I'll get a couple of pics over the next few days for ya.

It basically just connects exactly the same as the standard airbox.

The pod box has been modified to take a standard style snorkel. I believe FTG do them, and a few other places do them as well.

To do it yourself, you just cut a hole into the box, get some PVC pipe of the appropriate diameter (which is what looks like has been used in mine), stick it in and glue it in place.
thanks mate & good write up
Cheers
Black XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Looks good mate!

Wish i was still on holidays, i'd give it a crack!

Maybe next hols

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Looks good mate!

Wish i was still on holidays, i'd give it a crack!

Maybe next hols
Thanks mate, only took an hour and a half or so, so definitely doable between holidays!
Old 27-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any sound clips. Definitly something i'll look at doing to my ute.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
Any sound clips. Definitly something i'll look at doing to my ute.
Sorry mate, no sounds clips, but I'll see if I can get one next time I drive it (which won't be for at least a week).
Old 14-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR
Hey mate, sorry it took so long, but here are a few pics of how the snorkel attaches to the pod housing.

As for sounds clips, still none sorry.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the improvement. I was truly expecting no difference, but it's definitely far more responsive and it seems to go better too, although this is a fairly subjective statement!

It did run like crap for a few days after the installation, but that has settled right down now that the ECU has learnt around it.

Having said that, there is still a dull yet constant vibration/drone at idle which is a little annoying. It's also quite loud now too. These 2 issues may well be to do with the fact that I've left the bottom snorkel off as you can see in the pics.

If I can't get it a bit quieter (ie figure something out with the lower snorkel), I think it'll all be coming off and replaced with the standard gear.

I'm not quite sure what to do there though, as the standard snorkel doesn't fit, and it would no doubt help to quieten things down with it's rounded edges.
Old 14-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

A drone at idle you say, could be the piping rubbing up against the underside of the bonnet. My EL did this with the 3" pipe and as soon as I moved the piping around a bit the annoying sound went away.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
A drone at idle you say, could be the piping rubbing up against the underside of the bonnet. My EL did this with the 3" pipe and as soon as I moved the piping around a bit the annoying sound went away.
Good point mate, come to think of it, there is a touch of scuffing on the pipe.

Thanks for that!

The drone/vibration isn't loud, but it is annoying!
Old 15-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I like it.It looks nice man.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #13
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Nice mod their i am looking into atm. just for looks, what u pay for the setup.
Old 15-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYS_XR8
Nice mod their i am looking into atm. just for looks, what u pay for the setup.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I can't quite remember as I bought this stuff well over a year ago, but it was around a few hundred all up.