Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
BillC

Default LED vs Light

My missus told me that the dash had gone dull. On closer inspection I found that the light behind the digital readout on one side of the dash has blown. My question to all in the know is, can I replace the bulb with a LED? Will there be any hot spots if I use the LED instead of the bulb. And finally is the bulb the same as the ones that light up the dials? Oh, and one more. would blue LEDS work on the digital part ?

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Yes of coarse you can, you can get LED's in either wedge or round based to suit...

Led's give a much nicer look, especially if you go with some different colours!

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Im looking at replacing my dash lights in my car with LED's, from what i can gather they are t5 wedge type globes yeah? and how many would i need???
Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

You should need to worry about heat with LED's. LED's run a lot cooler than normal type lights, they are a more direct light and a bit brighter. Should look good mate.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

thats cool, just wanna make sure ive got everything right before i pull the dash out...

but how many do i need??
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGT RAA
thats cool, just wanna make sure ive got everything right before i pull the dash out...

but how many do i need??
IIRC there is 6 T5 size. However, this is only at the instrument cluster. There are a few at the centre ac panel also, and the clock uses a smaller size.

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

cheers mate, ill have a snoop around for the clock bulb size..
Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
gregtomfred

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGT RAA
cheers mate, ill have a snoop around for the clock bulb size..
Clock globe is a very odd globe. In an AU3 Part No ER 10B765D approx. $5.00 ea
Could not find an LED or a coloured one to fit but good luck in your search
gregtomfred is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've got a globe out in the centre panel (maybe the door unlock button - the far left hand side one, anyway) and had a look through Jaycar and DSE for the auto leds.
Didn't have any luck but found this site. Are these the globes we're talking about or is it the "T5 Dashboard Globes" immediately underneath? Either, or?

http://www.ledshoponline.com/automot...rd_bulb.htm#T5
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just ensure they are the concave (dippy) tipped items... these disperse the light rather than focus it like the convex (standard lookin LED) end..
otherwise the light will appear spotty
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty sure your after the 2nd ones
Old 20-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
Umineko
Karasu

You'll find there are 7 T5 wedge type in the cluster for instrument illumination the ones in the clock and digital display are a T4 "neo wedge" type, it is possible to remove the bulbs from the holders and fit LEDs into these which is the easiest option as I have only ever seen one source for these with LEDs fitted and only available in white and blue
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Has anyone done a how to for this?

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #14
Umineko
Karasu

Not as far as I know but would be happy to oblige if desired. It's a pretty easy mod which I've done a hundred times
Old 20-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
Not as far as I know but would be happy to oblige if desired. It's a pretty easy mod which I've done a hundred times
Yes please

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 20-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yes please

UK
Old 20-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
You'll find there are 7 T5 wedge type in the cluster for instrument illumination the ones in the clock and digital display are a T4 "neo wedge" type, it is possible to remove the bulbs from the holders and fit LEDs into these which is the easiest option as I have only ever seen one source for these with LEDs fitted and only available in white and blue
That's a good bit of info...

Is the source you know of on ebay?

http://tinyurl.com/a4gck2
Old 21-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #18
Umineko
Karasu

Yep that'd be the one, His product is good but a bit on the expensive side considering you can do it yourself for a fraction of the price.
and Uncle Ken I'll throw something together for you tomorrow with some pics of how it's done
Old 21-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
THR347

I'd be interested in a write up about this too!
THR347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2008, 04:18 AM   #20
Umineko
Karasu

Ok Guys you asked for it so here it is
How to put LEDs into T4 Neo Wedge holders.
Firstly you'll need the LEDs, and these come in a wide variety of colours, sizes and types. for the T4 Holders the largest you'll be able to fit through the hole is 5mm. From personal experiance I can tell you that you'll need LEDs that are Hi Intensity and at least 7000 Mcd, anything less and the display will be too dull in daylight. also because of the Orange filter in the displays you are pretty much limited to white, yellow, orange and red for the colours. It is possible to remove the filters and substitute other colour filters but as the displays are static sensitive and tricky to take apart it's not recomended. The best style of LEDs for use here are those known as "Inverted Wedge" types (fig 1). These have a concave impression in the top which acts as a reflector to disperse some of the light to the sides. These are difficult to find in sizes below 10mm though so the next best option is flat topped LEDs (fig 2) To help eliminate the "Spotlight" effect common to LEDs you can sand the top with 400 grit wet and dry paper which will diffuse the light somewhat, I have also painted the tops with white paint which works quite well too.
Once you have your LEDs you'll also need resistors to lower the 12 - 14Vdc of your car to the voltage the LEDs can handle.. 470 Ohm will do the job nicely, you can get these in various styles, I use .5W metal film types generally but the smaller .25W carbon film types will fit better in the T4 holders (see fig 2, the metal film resistor is blue while the carbon film is brown and about half the size)
Ok on to the conversion.
1/ remove the holder from the cluster and carefully unthread the wires from the holder(fig 3 and 4)
2/ Pull the bulb from the holder (fig 5)
3/ Take your LED and clip the anode (long Wire) about 2 to 3mm from the base of the LED and bend outwards at 90 degrees to the base.
4/ Clip one end of the resistor to about the same length and carefuly solder the two together. Be very carefull here as most LEDs can only stand solder temperatures for about 5 seconds, any longer than that and you risk destroying the LED (fig 7)
5/ Bend the Resistor upwards to lay along side the LED, This is necessary to keep the height of the LED to roughly that of the bulb it replaces, note if you use the carbon film resistors you can leave it facing to the rear as their smaller size will fit inside the T4 holder. having the resistor lying against the LED will have little effect on the light given off as most of the light given off by LEDs is projected upwards with very little going to the sides.(fig 8)
6/ Insulate the anode with plastic tube to prevent short circuit (fig 9)
7/ Cut the cathode (short wire) the same as the anode and solder the wire clipped from the resistor on. (this is not strictly necessary but as the tags on LEDs are quite brittle you will only be able to bend them 2 or 3 times before they'll snap off.(fig 9)
8/ insert the LED assembly into the holder and bend the wires around the holder the same way they were with the original bulb (fig 10 and 11)
9/ replace holder into cluster. Note, LEDs are sensitive to polarity, if the bulb does not light up remove it, rotate it 180 degrees and replace it and it should work, if it doesn't the unit is defective.
you can test them before you insert them by putting a 9V battery across the terminals, it won't be anything near as bright but it'll at least confirm it works.
As I mentioned before you can buy T4 Neo wedge holders with LEDs (fig 12)but as I found out last night they won't fit into Ford clusters anyway, so you are pretty much stuck with making your own.
As I said before you can get a neater finish using .25W carbon film resistors and to illustrate this I put one together (fig 13)
The whole process only takes about 5 to 10 minutes and at least you'll never have to change them again.

Hope this helps Cheers averyone, Have a merry Xmas and a happy and prosperous new year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fig 1.jpg (5.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg fig 5.jpg (10.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fig 8.jpg (7.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg fig 2.jpg (12.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg fig 6.jpg (10.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg fig 9.jpg (8.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg fig 3.jpg (9.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg fig 7.jpg (7.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg fig 10.jpg (8.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg fig 4.jpg (9.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg fig 11.jpg (7.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg fig 12.jpg (9.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg fig 13.jpg (9.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Umineko; 22-12-2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old 23-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #21
ronwest

Hey, great write up. Thanks... appreciate it.

I was hoping to use blue leds as I like the blue in the front panel of my headunit. As that is not an option I guess red is my next choice (my headunit has a choice of 10 or so colours and the red isn't bad either)

If you've used red leds could you tell me how red they are - bright red... pink... or somewhere in between?

Also, is there a chance you could upload larger pics to photobucket (or wherever) and link to them? Or alternatively could you send them to me via email?

I'll definitely be doing this mod so thanks again.
Old 23-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #22
Umineko
Karasu

Hi Ron
I'll see what I can do witht he pics, I had to cut the size down or I ran out of space to upload them, if you PM me your email addy I'll send them to you direct.
The red does light up very red. The orange filters only block green, blue etc but allow red light to pass, imagine putting red bulbs in your cars indicators, they will not show up orange. that said you'll need very bright red LEDs or you won't see them in daylight conditions. you'll want something in the 10,000 Mcd range with as wide a viewing angle as possible.
cheers.
Old 23-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #23
ronwest

Thanks mate; pm sent.
Old 23-12-2008, 03:47 AM   #24
ronwest

Pics received; thanks again.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im looking at changing over the 7 bulbs that have the grey plastic screw bit, these are the backing lights yeah? how do i go about taking them out?
my fingers are too big to get em out..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
Umineko
Karasu

I use a pair of small surgical forceps works a treat
Old 28-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #27
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just replaced mine with blue leds and now i can't see the needle so at night i have to guess how fast i'm going so i'm taking them out and replacing them with std lights
I have 10 t5 blue leds forsale now
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

did the same thing about 4 years ago... had same problem with the needles..

not worth the hassle IMO..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #29
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Love the threadmining!!

White LED's FTW......got some super white LED parker bulbs.....they give off a bluish tinge without being too much the boys in blue want to get involved.....
Old 28-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
ronwest

oops, wrong thread...