Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How To Remove Your Roof Lining.

Hey Hey,

I'm replacing the fabric on my roof lining board as it is falling down and dropping foam everywhere, This is a guide to help you do it.

WARNING
The roof lining board is like fiber glass and gets stuck in your arms and fingers so please use gloves and don't rub the board with your fingers to remove the yellow foam like i did. Use a stiff brush or be gentle with a paint scraper.

Tools Required:
Philips screw driver.
Rubber/latex gloves that go past your elbows.

Step 1
Remove screws holding in each sun viser, Sun viser locks, Handles and hooks. Easy.

Step 2
Have clean hands and pull down the rubber seal around the top of the doors. Mine were rather tight to pull off so pull harder if they wont move.

Step 3
Remove both front piller trims by pulling gently from the top working your way down along the 2 clips then removing from the top of the dash board. The center piller seat belt trims pull off from the top 1st and you can let them sit on the belt down beside the seat. The 2 rear piller trims pull down from the top 1st and pop out 3 of the clips and leave the trim in place. You only need to pull the tops of the rear piller trims out to release the roof lining.

Step 4
Unplug the front map lights from the back of the light casing. Pop out the center light and you can either pull the thick foam from the roof side off then pull the wiring out or just cut the wires to save the risk of kinking the board. Easy to solder them back up later.

Step 5
Remove the two rear trim plugs near the back window holding the roof lining up. By now the lining should be sitting on the parcel shelf and the front seats.

Step 6
Lay both front seats down flat and open all doors. Twist the drivers side of the lining down and lift the passenger side up to the roof and turn the lining anti clockwise so the front drivers side is down near the gear stick and GENTLY fold it a tiny bit and pull it out the passengers door. Easier with 2 people.

Sorry i didn't get photos of removing it but it took about 15 mins to get out.

Use the old fabric as a template.

Its me doing the wrong thing and getting itchy arms and fingers.

Frame for the glasses holder.

These casting marks with need to be sanded down flat before applying new fabric.

Glueing fabric and reinstalling coming soon.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Great write up! Be interesting to see how you go reinstalling as I thought the windscreen had to come out.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Excellant write up. I am looking at doing something with my roof lining. Black interior and satin black pillars and a light grey roof lining.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

That's a great writeup beer baron. My brother has recently done this in his bommodore and whilst being a handy fella, it still took him several hours and $70-80 in materials (the proper roof lining and spray adhesive etc) and ended up with a result that was good, but if a shop did it on mine i'd be unhappy with.

On the other hand, an old dude i work for had it professionally done in his EL for about $180 and it looks perfect.

I'm not saying that either tack is better, essentially you have to decide how good your skills are and what your time is worth.

Also remember these places can do different materials too! I had the fortune of navigating Grandpa Spec AU's Fairmont Ghia on the weekend and it had lovely furry felt-like factory rooflining where as my forte has just the basic scratchy cloth stuff. So i need to get mine done and i'm gonna get something nice.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 02-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

considered fitting fitting a ba sunglasses holder? it should bolt right up, not sure if it would fit against the roof lining the same but looks 100 times better

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im looking at about 80 to 90 bucks to get my roof liner done in a black cloth, downside is im pulling the liner out and putting it back in

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
considered fitting fitting a ba sunglasses holder? it should bolt right up, not sure if it would fit against the roof lining the same but looks 100 times better
No i haven't considered it, I will have a look at some pictures of the BA version. The only thing I'm worried about is changing the colour of the trims to black. I'm going to try vinyl dye on trims from the wreckers 1st and put them through some "tests".
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tomorrow i will be glueing the fabric to the board and I'm taking many photo's
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fabric glued on, Ready to be put back in the car.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would i do it again ? Hell no.

Would i do this for anyone else ? NO.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good job, you are correct. I reckon it would be a hard job.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you planning on doing with the plastic pillar trims? (In terms of colour)
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
What are you planning on doing with the plastic pillar trims? (In terms of colour)
Black dye. I'm going to test on some trims from the wreckers 1st to see how durable the dye is.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Would i do it again ? Hell no.

Would i do this for anyone else ? NO.
Ah, there are so many things with cars that are worth doing yourself, but i had ascertained this is not one of them. Well done on the job, it looks great.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
My brother has recently done this in his bommodore ...
The only reason it looked so neat was your mother helped him with it

Fantastic guide and a great result!

Going to come in handy for a lot of people.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 AM   #16
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Damn well agree a lot of effort has been put into this. Keen to see the lining going back in (without blemishes I hope).
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #17
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big air bubbles have formed over night so its going to the trimmers at moorooka to get done professionally for $160.

It has air bubbles where the roof lining curves to mould down to the pillars.

I reckon i have put at least 8 hours into it and i have failed. Disappointed but at least i gave it a go
Old 14-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
sweetspirit
Starter Motor

Default Grrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
That's a great writeup beer baron. My brother has recently done this in his bommodore and whilst being a handy fella, it still took him several hours and $70-80 in materials (the proper roof lining and spray adhesive etc) and ended up with a result that was good, but if a shop did it on mine i'd be unhappy with.

On the other hand, an old dude i work for had it professionally done in his EL for about $180 and it looks perfect.

I'm not saying that either tack is better, essentially you have to decide how good your skills are and what your time is worth.

Also remember these places can do different materials too! I had the fortune of navigating Grandpa Spec AU's Fairmont Ghia on the weekend and it had lovely furry felt-like factory rooflining where as my forte has just the basic scratchy cloth stuff. So i need to get mine done and i'm gonna get something nice.
I done my previous ford and now my AU is doing the same . If i can find someone to do it at $180 then I'll gladly pay it costs close to half that to do it your self , Its not my fav job .

My next car won't be a Ford
sweetspirit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #19
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Big air bubbles have formed over night so its going to the trimmers at moorooka to get done professionally for $160.

I reckon i have put at least 8 hours into it and i have failed. Disappointed but at least i gave it a go
I reckon you would need to use a vacum seal to get all the air out and compress the glue. Would have to be a bloody big bag though.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:

I was going to ask what sort of glue you used. Not much point asking know, except to know what sort of glue NOT to use! Don't think its air bubbles, just where it lifted, from not sticking tight.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #21
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

love the write up as im close to doing mine.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #22
luckykar

I just remove the headlining board strip all the glue and fabric off , then take it to the trimmers and let them do the recover...the last one cost me $100.00.

Great write up though Beer Baron , I am sure it is going to help lots of people.
luckykar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #23
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Has the roof lining been reinstalled? Be interested to know how you went.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #24
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
Has the roof lining been reinstalled? Be interested to know how you went.
Not yet, I have been busy moving house then spending money and time fixing stuff around the property.

I might get it in this weekend as all i have to do is mow.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #25
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

160 bucks???? i just got mine re trimmed in black for 90 bucks and its perfect, theres a auto trimmer place just past coles in beaudesert

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry for the thread hijackm but here is a pic of mine

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #27
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard too many bad things about that trimming company so I'm keeping away.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #28
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
sorry for the thread hijackm but here is a pic of mine
did you put the maplights in without the sunglass holder...i like it. looks alot neater

in any case...the black liners look awesome, nice write up beer baron - even though you struggled & hated it i'll still be keen to try it myself...eventually. i'm sure this write up will help me
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah i bought it with the lights, think it was out of a series 2 au

Beer Baron, My mate got his done by the same trimming company, and his roof liner is still good after a few years

Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #30
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think i used the wrong type of fabric on mine, I think i needed something a bit more stretchy but oh well.