Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default miniature planes

Last edited by Mickxr8; 03-05-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: editing fail
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This guy could have built the real thing with a little more aluminium!

P51 Mustang

Corsair

Using a tweezers, the controls can be moved. All cables and linkages are in place to work the wing control surfaces as well. Young Park has since carved a pilot's face and hands from solid aluminum and built an articulated pilot to sit in the cockpit. (Photo: George F. Lee, Honolulu Star-Bulletin)

Here's pic of fingers and tweezers to give scale......... Sooooo small!!!

Remember this as you look at the pics.......... All the controls work as designed, by cables, chains, linkages and levers.

All these controls WORK!!!!!........ And that means they work the parts of the aircraft via rods and chains as in the original aircraft!!!!

Every single part hand made and fitted.

It blows you away, doesn't it???

Don't forget the tiny scale......... Go up again and look at the pic of the fingers and tweezers!

Machine guns and bullets.........

Detail of three .50 Cal. Machine guns and ammo cans. Ammo cans are loaded outside the aircraft and then simply set into place in the wing. Their doors become the top surface of the wing. This allowed for rapid reloading by the ground crew.

Mr. Park generously donated the first (cutaway) Corsair model to the Joe Martin Foundation. It can be seen in person in its display at the Foundation's museum in the Sherline building in Vista, California. A collection of photos showing how the model was built and all the historical data on the Corsair Mr. Park collected to build it has also been donated and is available for viewing. In 2005, Mr. Park also donated the second corsair and it is also now on display in the Foundation's museum.

Showing the extent of his carving skills, Mr. Park sculpted a pilot's head and hands out of solid aluminum. The articulated figure is dressed in a custom made uniform and can be placed in any position to give a good sense of scale to the model.

P51 MUSTANG

Inside the left wing you can see the .50 cal ammunition threaded into the three wing guns. Each round is machined in 3 partsbrass cartridge with copper bullet and primer and is held together with a small copper feed jacket.

Engine exhaust ports....... Pic taken during assembly.

Control wires are being threaded around their pulleys underneath the cockpit during construction. (Y. Park photo)

The radiator air intake sits under the fuselage ready for installation. Much of the detail of some of the parts is hidden once it is assembled. (Y. Park photo)

The wing being made.............. LOOKIT how SMALL it is

Each panel is hand formed over a wooden shape. The metal is annealed to the proper softness and then pounded and bent into shape. The plane is made up of many individual panels, and the fits between panels are just about perfect. (Y. Park photo)

Here we see the panel above in it's final position. Looks easy now, doesn't it? (Y. Park photo)

The form for the air intake and the final part. As is often the case in machining and model making, fixtures, moulds, formers and jigs to make the final parts can take a long time to make and are never seen by the public viewing the finished model. (Y. Park photo).
Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
3933steven

Im just blown away, thanks for posting .steve.
3933steven is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yes that's pretty nuts. coming from a model aircraft making childhood, i can fully appreciate the ridiculous detail and dexterity required for that kind of craftsmanship.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

somebody has waaaaay to much time on his hands....

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Looks about 1/20 or 1/18 scale. Beautiful work. I once built a 1/32 scale P-47 Thunderbolt plastic kit and thought that was hard.
The detail this guy achieved (in metal, no less) is nothing short of stunning. Plus he generously donated his hard work to a museum so everyone can enjoy it.
Maximum respect for him.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Wow, amazing attention to detail

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Damn............retirement huh.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is incredible - the attention to detail and workmanship is amazing - so do the guns actually fire ;)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

That's amazing...imagine what one of those would be worth!

I'd love to have something like that.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

1 x P-51D please...... no rush.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Nate_Dog

I'd love to know what Y. Park did before he retired.

IIIIIINNNNNNCREDIBLE
Nate_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO WAY!

just carving the wooden moulds for the panels would have been too much of a head screw for me!

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:50 AM   #14
rijruna

Iv been known to do stuff requireing detailed work, but,, damn, thats a simply amazing effort to achieve the perfection required. Agreed there Fled74 MAXIMUM RESPECT!!!
cheers
rij
rijruna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfreakinbeleive. thats just incredible, so much detail

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post