Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Was it a good buy, am I stretching my luck?
YES 33 73.33%
NO 3 6.67%
MAYBE 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
windowlicker
Little Dog

Default Just got a old falcon. AU. Gold.

I went looking 'round car yards in May. I am over 50 and have had over 25 cars. All sorts of stuff. So I'm no newb.
Six weeks later, after considering a car loan (aka extension to an existing personal loan) I decided no.... no loan, no late model. The bank wants too much interest. We know they are getting wholesale money really cheap right now. Around 3 or 4 percent. And they still want "credit card" interest rates over 14pc. Not this little black duck.

Last week i was the only bidder on a AU 1999 wagon once it went over the reserve. Took it sight unseen for $1800. It looked absolutely immaculate judging by the seller's photos. 173,000km. Low. Pensioners. With quite a few service dockets, expense receipts (4 new tyres etc) and with bonus features such as doglet hair and smell... this is why it was cheap as. This car was loaded with those pine tree freshners. I counted about six when I was cleaning out the car. We ended up pulling out all the trim and pressure washing it all on the long weekend (thx Ford for the fibreglass type stuff backing the velour whatever). Dries easy.

Why did i get a pov white wagon? I was looking for a wagon to reliably carry gear 'round town for a couple of years and then a few laps of the Hume etc... as a bandwagon. Amps, spkrs. guitars, drums. I needed a towbar and cruise control at a minimum of course.

I haven't been in the wagon market since my last wagon, a EB, which I pedalled as a sales rep around most of eastern Aust. Sold it off years ago. Never hassled me -one prang with a roo slowed me down, but I always got home, always on cruise control. I avoided motel fees and drove long legs, fully loaded with stock. Newie down to Albury or up to Byron Bay in a night, every month, for a few busy years. I still have the fuel receipts - unleaded was $1.14 a litre.

I just filled the wagon (nicknamed "The Little Dog") and it cost $94
It passed rego inspection with just a balljoint job. I have driven 20km to work each way this week, 100km zones, 40km zones, this thing drives like a new car. I know what that is, because I own a 2011 car (Toyota for the missus). No tran line noise (aka taxi noise). No brake shudders. No exhaust noise. It does have front pad squeals. The washer bottle bung is perished. The electronics work perfect. Shifts nicely, smoothly, idles smooth as. Paintwork is white and glossy as new except for a shopping trolley mark out front on the "bumper" with the rego plate.
$1800
Thats what a good Telecaster costs.

AU is the table of elements symbol for gold.

windowlicker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Just got a old falcon. AU. Gold.

Is the AU considered 'old' now? Might keep mine and see if it makes it to 'classic' next year .

Good story though, post up some photos of your music gear too. Thread for that in the Bar somewhere.
Old 14-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Welcome to the forums.

There's an awesome area for AUs on here, and you won't find the guys in there short of advice when it comes to do with pretty much any mod or repair you may need to do.

AUs are indeed a brilliant car, I have really grown to miss mine in the almost 2yrs since I traded it in.

173,000 kms for a 1999 model? Mate, for an AU that's just ran in. You'll get many more out of her yet with the right care & attention. Just look after her and she'll look after you!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
windowlicker
Little Dog

Thx for replies.
Yeah, low kms, a few trips to see the grandkids or whatever with the doggie. The seller was the 3rd owner. He got it at Goulburn dealer. So this car already knows the Hume. I went down to Melb again the other week in the Yaris and the only bit not bypassed now is Holbrook (its bypass is well and truly underway though). Tarcutta bypass opened earlier this year.

The trips to melb are bad without cruise. I know because My Yaris has no cruise. So the AU will be better at the "oh so boring" slab.

Mind you, our Yaris did 17300km in its first year, for a fuel cost of roughly $8 a week. $414 for the year. Incredible. Riceburning can be ok if you're a tight@@@.

My page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/carzee

Stayed tuned for the next episode, when something needs a repair. OMG, the suspense! The dark unknown, the spellbinding POV-pack mystery of... "The Little Dog".
Old 14-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a good buy mate. Can't go wrong with an AU.
I bought a AUII Fairmont with 220,000kms on it for $2700. Sure it's rough around the edges, few scratches here and there, but it's unstoppable (knock on wood). I replaced every fluid in it when I bought it 10 months ago and haven't had a single drama with it yet.
I think you'll also be pleasantly surprised by the highway fuel economy.

Keep the services up to it (especially transmission) and it'll last forever.
Old 14-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Welcome to the AU family
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a AU sedan and an AU ute!! bullet proof the both of them!!!! I have actually got 6.8L/100km out on the highway in my sedan a few times!!! usally around 7. driven sanely around town it isnt too bad on fuel for a big car either!! my trayback ute uses a bit more but has a big fuel tank too compensate for it thou its pretty good on fuel too. both have exhaust systems and have a great note!!! (6 cylinders)
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it hasn't been done already bypass the gearbox cooler in the radiator and get an external fitted. Could be the best 300 odd dollars you've spent.
I've owned several BMWs and S Class Mercedes but the old AUs are always a favourite, I've had 6, never been let down, my favourite was my just run in XR6 ute, for some reason it dropped 1st gear syncro after a burnout in reverse, other than that it still goes strong to this day my old flat mate has her nearing 660k (original engine and T5).

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Riceburning can be ok if you're a tight@@@.
Yup!!
Old 15-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

duaned, you obviously didn't look to hard
Old 15-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i ve had my AU since about late 2004, a few very minor flaws aside it`s best car i`ve ever owned without any doubt, easy to drive, easy to maintain, ultra reliable, i must confess i strayed recently ............ i was thinking the AU has done a lot of hard miles and quite a bit of of towing, it`s been the family taxi and rock 7 days a week for that time, when other cars in the household have faltered the AU kept going, at 200,000 plus k`s i thought maybe i should buy something with some low miles and a bit more luxury even though the au still drives very very well, i bought an lexus ls400 a nice car(except for the price of parts ), i like it but and it does have nice points , but when both sets of the car keys are on the table , i find myself still reaching for the Falcon AU keys, i would agree with the AU = gold analogy, good luck with your wagon.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too bought an AU recently
Bit more than what you paid, a few more Ks, but a tray back,so that makes the difference
For the money, the price of parts or even a 2nd car for spares, their robust engines is there anything out there that compares to the money ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
windowlicker
Little Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I too bought an AU recently
Bit more than what you paid, a few more Ks, but a tray back,so that makes the difference
For the money, the price of parts or even a 2nd car for spares, their robust engines is there anything out there that compares to the money ???
You're right.
The car has been flawless and driving so nice this week - i'm still impressed and find it hard to believe its 13 yrs old.

First fuel figures are in... I topped up the tank tonight after using Little Dog to get to work all this week: 100 percent city driving - 24.2mpg (9.8 per 100km)

Is that about right city consumption or is it too thirsty?

ps.
Going down the Hume to Melb in a fortnight (began Leave today). Gonna pickup a guitar (anotrher Telecaster) and a head case.... Should I take the Yaris (no cruise control but 37mpg and 7 airbags and great sound sys) or take the Little Dog for a run (cruise cntrl but 27mpg at a guess with a cassette deck). The Yaris cost almost exactly 10 times the price of the 1999 wagon.
Old 21-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Give the AU a run!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
windowlicker
Little Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Give the AU a run!

GK
Hmm. [thinks about his 10 or 12 remaining cassettes and remembers spending 6 weeks in a caravan between homes when I was a young 'un with only 1 cassette 'The Wall' by Floyd which went round an round an round. No telly, no nuttin' back then.]

I have got these... Bondi Cigars, Radiohead's Creep cassingle, SRV's Live in Texas, Daddy Cool, CCR's Cosmos Factory, Alice Cooper's School's Out, Midnight Oil's Head Injuries, Sex Pistol's Nevermind The Bollocks, Nirvana's Nevermind, and Silverchair's Frogstomp. No INXS, No Chisel. No Powderworks. No Divinyls. No Stones.. No Metallica. So I'll have to start looking for them.

If you have some old Guns Roses, Eagles, Van Halen... on second thought I might just tune in the FM stations who play not much more than that stuff.

I think the AU speakers will die if I try a Hume run.
Old 22-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive had all 3 a wagon , sedan , ute all fantastic
Old 22-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
windowlicker
Little Dog

Talking Re: Just got a old falcon. AU. Gold.

He shoots and scores again - the AU will get a run, definitely!! I just brought a set of AU2 chasers (16x7) and have to pick them up from Geelong area. Happy birthday to me..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280905753276?

So I get to see both sides of the bay, I have to go to Frankston too, What that means id I have a good excuse to ride on the Queenscliff-Sorrento ferry. $55

http://www.searoad.com.au/timetables-fares/
Old 22-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Some young buyers should take your advice!!!
Dept is a killer..
Money NOT working for you !!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Usually when they put a whole stack of smelly pine fresheners in it means they are trying to cover up the smell of wet carpet or a dead body after someone gassed themselves.
Hope I didn't put you off.
I'm in the same boat, picked up an AU Futura series 2 for a carton of Corona's and runs like a charm and yes pretty economical too.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #21
windowlicker
Little Dog

We scrubbed/pressure washed and vacked like a CSI team, mostly in the back. All the doglet hair was in the rear, and only there; the area behind the cargo barrier thing was obviously fangs lair. Also the window UV tint has some fine scratches from the tiny claws. The scratches and the size of the dog hairs... it was a small dog alright. Thats where the filth was. The pressure washer runoff as we did the side linings was clear, clear, clear, and then BAM, beef soup then clear again.

Anyway, a good job, no more smells. Except when I overfilled the fuel for the first time.

Today I also grabbed some plastic 'christmas tree' trim clips at a custom body place; the ones you shove down empty safety belt bolt holes behind the rear passenger bench seat. Obviously I could've used bolts but I want a flash surface and nothing to dag the band gear.
Old 22-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
Torment47
Mr Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
If it hasn't been done already bypass the gearbox cooler in the radiator and get an external fitted. Could be the best 300 odd dollars you've spent.
I've owned several BMWs and S Class Mercedes but the old AUs are always a favourite, I've had 6, never been let down, my favourite was my just run in XR6 ute, for some reason it dropped 1st gear syncro after a burnout in reverse, other than that it still goes strong to this day my old flat mate has her nearing 660k (original engine and T5).

WOW! mines sitting on 150000 , hope mine goes to 600 thou! ;)
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
windowlicker
Little Dog

This thread , part 2, cont'd..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11370325
Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
Werd.
nou

I crashed my AU so I bought a little $800 Ford laser with a month rego...

what an amazing little car, fuel economy is just stupid, rips skids in first, has a sunroof, power steering, aircon, plenty of storage space, and my friend happened to be selling a sub/amp/headunit/4 speakers for $100 so it now has a stereo that thrashes the AU..

I'm in no hurry to fix the AU now because this little 1994 KH laser is better in nearly every single way. 1.8L EFI 5 speed manual so no issues with power.

honestly I was an AU fan, but I gotta say I do love this little car, uses half the fuel ans is sooo much more fun/rewarding to drive.

laser has more K's btw so no unfairness there! RIP AU.. ill fix you eventually but for now you can rot in the garage unregistered.

did I mention FWDs are very fun in the grass /dirt with a little handbrake manipulation? honestly I see little need to cart around 1600kgs of metal anymore.

no doubt bigger cars have their purpose, the AU is certainly better on the open road, but give me this for city/town driving any day of the week.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
windowlicker
Little Dog

More pix, new thread, Part 3:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4345160&