Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #181
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: More power for Australia's fastest car

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6T View Post
Australia's fastest ^^ did they beat the GTF 297 kilometers per hour ?
GTF does 297km/hr I thought FPV's were limited to 250km/hr?
This user likes this post:
Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #182
G6T

John bowe & unique car magazine took limiter off did a run. Google it.
FPV BF F6 TYPHOON in TOXIC green BUILT ENGINE & MT built ZF, FORCED PERFORMANCE turbo HTA 37r Turbo e85 26psi= 525 rwkw 1162nm its DMENTD . BUILT & TUNED by ( PROFILE AUTOSPORTS ) first time on dyno after run in =
Pacific Ford and FPV Carshow - DMENTD Dyno Run base 22psi on 98 : https://youtu.be/PoONpkk7qJE
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #183
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
GTF does 297km/hr I thought FPV's were limited to 250km/hr?
I thought every HSV since vr was limited from 230-250.
Although mark Skaife drove a HSV R8 to 270ish for the world record, I'd be pretty surprised if the road versions are allowed to hit nearly 280.
Might have to look it up.
'Probably' another title you Holden fanboys don't own.....but are happy to claim....because your told u have:

But yes John Bowe drove a stock GT to 297.(limiter removed)

Edit...For the official world record runs...
Apparently you can't make any POWER or AERO upgrades to the car. Oils,limiters and so on are not restricted. Couldn't find anything about probably the most important point. Tyres!

Last edited by 1TUFFUTE; 06-07-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #184
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6T View Post
John bowe & unique car magazine took limiter off did a run. Google it.
Ah okay you're talking about a modified GTF gotcha
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #185
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
VF HSV GTS. Speed limited to 250kph
Ford GT 335 speed limited to 255kph

And your basing your belief in Holden claiming to have the 'fastest' car In Australia on a test done on a car with its limiter taken off

And just so I don't get flamed by the hundreds of hurt Holden fanboys on here...from what I've read...Both cars engineers say their cars unlimited will go about 300kph. John bowe showed this to be true for ford....and we know the GTS has close to the same power as the GT so it should be a fair statement from both engineers.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #186
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Tailshafts are an issue. The 297 kph run had a modified tailshaft. So the car wasn't stock

With the right power even an old BA can go over 300kph

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #187
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Tailshafts are an issue. The 297 kph run had a modified tailshaft. So the car wasn't stock

Yep but the John bowe run wasn't for a world record. Just to hit 300.
The world record run attempts CANT change power or aero. Otherwise stock.(wouldn't be surprised if a driveshaft change came under safety anyway.) not sure.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #188
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Definetly a safety issue. Ford and FPV know the limitations of the stock tailshafts

High power or high speed or both is done safely with an upgraded tailshaft. They make a big mess when they self destruct at high speed. I have seen a few. Balance becomes real important.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #189
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
And just so I don't get flamed by the hundreds of hurt Holden fanboys on here...from what I've read...Both cars engineers say their cars unlimited will go about 300kph. John bowe showed this to be true for ford....and we know the GTS has close to the same power as the GT so it should be a fair statement from both engineers.
From what I’ve read that’s not true of the stock versions as more than engine power is required to hit those speeds.

Maybe a check of Dry Lake Racers Australia will give you a good idea of how difficult it is to go fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm

If it did, I’d hate to be in a stock one without the proper aero upgrades while it did it.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #190
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
From what I’ve read that’s not true of the stock versions as more than engine power is required to hit those speeds.

Maybe a check of Dry Lake Racers Australia will give you a good idea of how difficult it is to go fast.

If it did, I’d hate to be in a stock one without the proper aero upgrades while it did it.
are you saying the GTS doesn't have the ability to reach 300? Because the Gt335 was very close.
I haven't seen the dry lake racing site before...but I've seen a million Commodores,stock and tuned in Dubai going close to 300. From memory the highest was a Ve R8 with a Supercharger and mods.....hit 306 and has been mentioned around here before.

Have you seen the video yet where John bowe goes to 297? Pretty impressive. I'd say if it wasn't the gearing or similar holding it back....a GT351 would top 300 rather easily.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #191
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Definetly a safety issue. Ford and FPV know the limitations of the stock tailshafts

+ the FPV rim might crack, apparently they all do that...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 07-07-2015, 02:00 AM   #192
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you saying the GTS doesn't have the ability to reach 300? Because the Gt335 was very close.

Have you seen the video yet where John bowe goes to 297? Pretty impressive. I'd say if it wasn't the gearing or similar holding it back....a GT351 would top 300 rather easily.
Yes I’ve seen that and I’ve also read the full article in Unique Cars who arranged the Bowe test and the effort they put into trying to make a factory stock car reach the 300 mark and still failed.

I've also read they don’t have the aero and are very suss with their stability at those speeds.

Bowe also mentioned something similar in the Unique Cars article.

Quote:
I haven't seen the dry lake racing site before...but I've seen a million Commodores,stock and tuned in Dubai going close to 300. From memory the highest was a Ve R8 with a Supercharger and mods.....hit 306 and has been mentioned around here before.
What’s a modded VE R8 with aftermarket supercharger in Dubai got to do with a stock car reaching 300 here under controlled testing?

Check out some of the speed records on the Dry Lakes Racers Australia website and you may be surprised at the limitations of many stock cars.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #193
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Yes I’ve seen that and I’ve also read the full article in Unique Cars who arranged the Bowe test and the effort they put into trying to make a factory stock car reach the 300 mark and still failed.

I've also read they don’t have the aero and are very suss with their stability at those speeds.

Bowe also mentioned something similar in the Unique Cars article.

What’s a modded VE R8 with aftermarket supercharger in Dubai got to do with a stock car reaching 300 here under controlled testing?

Check out some of the speed records on the Dry Lakes Racers Australia website and you may be surprised at the limitations of many stock cars.
I think you misunderstood me....I said GTS ....not GT's. Don't you think they can hit 300?

Well a Ve is the older far less powerful and less aerodynamic car. Compared to the GTS it's a dinosaur. And a modded one with no aero changes will hit 300. There's a lot of stock imported SSs in Dubai that go over 285 as well.

My point is if a GT335 can pretty much do it...(297 is as close as needs proving), then the more powerful 351 would finish that off easy! So I'd imagine a GTS should do it too!

And I'm not into salt flat running one bit.....perhaps you could just tell us the record for the fastest stock cars on the salt flats!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:06 AM   #194
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
And I'm not into salt flat running one bit.....perhaps you could just tell us the record for the fastest stock cars on the salt flats!
There are none, at least not Aussie cars.

The closest to what they call an off the showroom floor stock category, that is without suspension or body (aero) changes is still allowed to run nitrous and they still don’t hit 300km/h.

You don’t see stock Aussie cars running those sort of top speeds.

Gary Myers Mustang is a long way from stock but it looked cool there.

It pulled 273km/h.

This pulled 402km/h

Last edited by Express; 07-07-2015 at 03:19 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #195
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Looks pretty stock. Were do the fares sit

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 07-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #196
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
+ the FPV rim might crack, apparently they all do that...
Cracked rims, sounds bad. How many cases

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #197
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Cracked rims, sounds bad. How many cases
Was being slightly facecious as I cracked mine recently and was denied a replacement from Ford ( outside of warranty - fair enough ) - but was arguing the "fit for purpose" case.
Either way - I got the standard " they all do that if you hit a bump" response - so was playing devil's advocate with the ability to reach 300 on an FPV rim.

Mind you - when I dropped my rim off to the wheel repair factory - i spied another 4 different type FPV rims there for similar repair work...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 07-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #198
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Wasn't there a BA that tried to do 300 several years ago? As it neared top speed it was a handful and was shifting left to right big time.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #199
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Wasn't there a BA that tried to do 300 several years ago? As it neared top speed it was a handful and was shifting left to right big time.
http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm

Apparently it was horrid to drive above 270 - 280. Swerving all over the tarmac. Shows how aerodynamics play a big part.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #200
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Was being slightly facecious as I cracked mine recently and was denied a replacement from Ford ( outside of warranty - fair enough ) - but was arguing the "fit for purpose" case.
Either way - I got the standard " they all do that if you hit a bump" response - so was playing devil's advocate with the ability to reach 300 on an FPV rim.

Mind you - when I dropped my rim off to the wheel repair factory - i spied another 4 different type FPV rims there for similar repair work...
Ford always tell me the issue is the floor mat

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #201
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
http://www.airpowersystems.com/falcon/avalon/307kph.htm

Apparently it was horrid to drive above 270 - 280. Swerving all over the tarmac. Shows how aerodynamics play a big part.
Shows how good the Stock GT335 is then if in the video you can see John bowe doing almost 300, on a two lane highway. Must have had confidence in the car, because at that speed it wouldn't matter who was driving. Your dead if there's a big problem.
In the Guin world record run in the R8 Skaife drove...he hit 269 and then 277 for a record of 272 or thereabouts. Not bad in a far older car. Stock

I wonder how much diff Tarmac and salt are to the traction of a car. I'd assume it's apples and oranges with the diff of the two surfaces. Not to mention road cars aren't engineered for 'ice'!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #202
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some quotes from the article where both John Bowe and Dick Johnson jumped behind the wheel of the GT-F and had a few cracks at the 300.

Quote:
Because sixth gear is so tall, the GT-F has to rely on fifth gear for reaching its top speed, but without a few more rpm up its sleeve, 300km/h is looking about as likely as a reprieve for the Australian car industry. Cue Rob Herrod and his faithful laptop. Twenty or so minutes later, the Miami V8’s rev ceiling is no more.

After another run this time with the rev limiter removed, John Bowe said:

Quote:
….we’re looking at 3-4km/h. It sounds like nothing but when you’re at that sort of speed, there’s a difference. If you ask Dick about his V8 Supercar engines, to get another two or three km/h is pretty difficult.

Quote:
I asked JB how the GT-F felt at top whack. “Aero does funny things and the faster it went, the more – you know – I wouldn’t say it was unhappy, but it wasn’t a walk in the park to drive it at max speed. It moves around a bit, it generates a bit of front-end lift, which most road cars do, but you don’t normally drive them at 300km/h. So you’re on the balls of your feet, like you’re a boxer … It shifted around in the wind and a couple of times the helicopter flew across the top of it, which upset it and it changed lanes.

After John Bowe took the GT-HO Phase 3 run to recreate the photo of Mel Nichols driving down the Hume Highway doing over 140mph:

Quote:
Not surprisingly, our legendary racers, Dick and JB, are disappointed that the GT-F didn’t crack the 300. Some consolation comes with the performance of the GT-HO, which is still capable of everything Nichols claimed.

I use to go down to Florida for the high speed tarmac runs they’d have there each year and they had a lot of serious iron turn up.

Even the Euro’s in total stock form with all their power and superior built in aero compared to the Aussie built cars still in many cases could only hit around the 320km/h or so mark which goes to show the Aussie cars are no slouches. It takes a lot to make a car go fast and to be able to keep it on the road at the same time.

If someone like Bowe found the GT-F to be a handful with its moving around at that type of speed, heaven help someone without his skills trying to do the same.

And yes the GT-F is the fastest driven Aussie car, though admittedly not completely factory stock.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #203
AussieCJ7

You can always head down to the Snowy Mountains 1000 if you want to see some cars push 300

http://snowymountains1000.com.au/
Old 08-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #204
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Looks pretty stock. Were do the fares sit
In the box.

It’s there to protect the driver from the drunks in case they think he’s taking them the slow way home.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #205
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Since you seem to know everything about the GTS, What's the top speed of a GTS with a upgrade tailshaft and the rev limiter removed?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #206
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
Since you seem to know everything about the GTS, What's the top speed of a GTS with a upgrade tailshaft and the rev limiter removed?
Dont know if anyone has even bothered doing that in a GTS yet, maybe head over to the LS1 forum and do a search?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #207
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
...What's the top speed of a GTS with a upgrade tailshaft and the rev limiter removed?
GTS sedan 308km/h

GTS ute 321km/h
Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #208
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
GTS sedan 308km/h

GTS ute 321km/h
Where did you source that info?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #209
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got those stats from my ****.

Made it up for a laugh - I appreciate no one other than me found it funny, but after too many drinks waiting for the Ashes it is all about amusing myself right now.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #210
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where did you source that info?
It looks like you need to head over to the ls1 forum.
Closed Thread