Australian Ford Forums

Australian Ford Forums (https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php)
-   The Pub (https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Common misconceptions (https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313802)

ST 09-11-2010 06:22 AM

Common misconceptions

Figured it's about time to start a thread on this subject. The purpose of this thread is to clear up numerous widely believed misconceptions in the realm of automotive transport (more specifically cars).

I'll start off with a couple of easy and extremely common questions asked a lot on this forum:

1. Was there a Phase IV GTHO?

2. Is the correct title for the 19" dark accent wheels found on the F6/GS 'Dark Agent' or 'Dark Argent'?

Please feel free to answer these questions (provide proof if necessary) and add your own.

Yellow_Festiva 09-11-2010 07:41 AM

Common misconceptions relating to cars....

* From what I have been told, seating 6 in a car with 5 belts is legal, providing all other belts are used. (Say, 4 on the back seat, 2 at the front).

* Give way to all traffic on the right of the roundabout. The amount of people I drive with who still stop dead at the line to allow an approaching car on the right way is worrying. The 'first in, best dressed' law has been in for many, many years now.

I may be wrong on the first one, but pretty sure I'm right. Can't quote / reference it as I'm off to work.

F6T 09-11-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST
Figured it's about time to start a thread on this subject. The purpose of this thread is to clear up numerous widely believed misconceptions in the realm of automotive transport (more specifically cars).

I'll start off with a couple of easy and extremely common questions asked a lot on this forum:

2. Is the correct title for the 19" dark accent wheels found on the F6/GS 'Dark Agent' or 'Dark Argent'?

Please feel free to answer these questions (provide proof if necessary) and add your own.

As to 1, yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.

As to 2, for the love of God, it is Dark ARGENT - argent being the French word for silver. They are a dark silver rim.

Good idea for a thread mate.

Jim Goose 09-11-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST

I dont know what sorta misconception there is here??
Do you mean how many were built?

yift 09-11-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F6T
As to 1, yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.

Good idea for a thread mate.

Actually there is only 1 Phase 4, its the only one with HO on the I.D tag. the other 3 that were built are only GT's.

F6T 09-11-2010 09:48 AM

you see!!! common misconceptions... :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

Dave3911 09-11-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
* Give way to all traffic on the right of the roundabout. The amount of people I drive with who still stop dead at the line to allow an approaching car on the right way is worrying. The 'first in, best dressed' law has been in for many, many years now.

Unless your in victoria and the "traffic" approaching from the right is a tram, then you must give way.

There is an exception to everything ;-)

Bud Bud 09-11-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F6T
yes there were four GTHO ph IV built. 1972 as XA's. Three for Bathurst and 1 for private sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I dont know what sorta misconception there is here??
Do you mean how many were built?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yift
Actually there is only 1 Phase 4, its the only one with HO on the I.D tag. the other 3 that were built are only GT's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F6T
you see!!! common misconceptions... :yelrotflm :yelrotflm

Ha ha ha :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm that is gold! Not a very good start! Let's try and make it that people only with traceable facts respond as it will only keep the misconceptions going otherwise. Can we sort out the XA Phase IV answer before we move on as well! I did have an AMC mag that documented this but I will need to find it somewhere, unless someone else beats me to it.

OK I got one, it is legal in S.A, to drive a car while sipping from a stubbie or a tinnie. The only criteria are that the driver must not be in control of a motor vehicle over the prescribed limit of .05. Not sure about anywhere else. Closing this loop hole is before parliament now though I think.

Bud Bud

xr gr8 09-11-2010 10:33 AM

Driving in WA with a can or stubbie is classed as street drinking and is a no no.

ZDI-970 09-11-2010 10:37 AM

you do have to indicate when merging at the end of overtaking lanes... so many people dont...

prydey 09-11-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

googled it

Giving way when entering a roundabout
A driver entering a roundabout must give
way to any vehicle in the roundabout

there's not a lot of difference between that, and the old 'give way to the right' rule. some people think the new rule means they can just barge in if there's 1 car length of free space.

prydey 09-11-2010 10:43 AM

another misconception, esp on these boards - winning the sales race each month = more profit

F6T 09-11-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Bud
Ha ha ha :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm that is gold! Not a very good start! Let's try and make it that people only with traceable facts respond as it will only keep the misconceptions going otherwise. Can we sort out the XA Phase IV answer before we move on as well!

Bud Bud

Well, Wikipedia states as follows:-

In 1972, the XY series Falcon was replaced by the XA Falcon range. Production of the XA based 1972 Falcon GTHO Phase IV commenced in mid-June 1972, but production was stopped due to a "Supercar Scare". The Sun-Herald had run this as a front page lead article (with banner headline in large capital letters) on Sunday 25 June 1972: "160mph 'Super Cars' Soon". A copy of that front page is shown at the start of a Phase IV documentary.

Four vehicles were built when production was stopped. Three were built as race cars for the Bathurst 500 in October, and one made it off the production line for sale to the public. The four vehicles were sold by Ford Australia, but the Phase IV was never officially released.

flappist 09-11-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D3v[]
you do have to indicate when merging at the end of overtaking lanes... so many people dont...

No only if your lane ends, as in there is clear demarcation that it is your lane that is ending.

If your lane is the one that continues on or there is no demarcation then you do not indicate.

N.B. Demarcation means you have to cross a line to enter the other lane.

Riksta 09-11-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud Bud
OK I got one, it is legal in S.A, to drive a car while sipping from a stubbie or a tinnie. The only criteria are that the driver must not be in control of a motor vehicle over the prescribed limit of .05. Not sure about anywhere else. Closing this loop hole is before parliament now though I think.

Bit of a red flag to a bull though. Cop sees you having a beer while you're driving, I think you're definitely going to be pulled over for a breath test!

flappist 09-11-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riksta
Bit of a red flag to a bull though. Cop sees you having a beer while you're driving, I think you're definitely going to be pulled over for a breath test!

Red flag, red P plate....and the difference is? :)

HP-0351 09-11-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST

See here
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....hlight=phase+4

And here
www.xagtho.com

Riksta 09-11-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flappist
Red flag, red P plate....and the difference is? :)

Good point. Although if you DID have a P-Plate up and were seen having a beer while driving you'd be losing your license very quickly since the P-Plate rule is 0.00%BAC, and not 0.05% like on a full license!

grandpa_spec_F6 09-11-2010 02:15 PM

Common misconceptions:

* The police will never mistake a bottle of non-alcoholic Ginger Beer for alcoholic Beer

* Because you have right of way,..... the other person cares.

* If you try and take off in diesel, you can still steer as it's not THAT slippery.

* Putting your car into park while driving along is the same as using the handbrake (I did this -> :layrubber but in reverse :yelrotflm my poor first car)

Non-car related:
* People on other car forums are as level headed and well spoken as those on AFF

Jim Goose 09-11-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F6T
Well, Wikipedia states as follows:-

In 1972, the XY series Falcon was replaced by the XA Falcon range. Production of the XA based 1972 Falcon GTHO Phase IV commenced in mid-June 1972, but production was stopped due to a "Supercar Scare". The Sun-Herald had run this as a front page lead article (with banner headline in large capital letters) on Sunday 25 June 1972: "160mph 'Super Cars' Soon". A copy of that front page is shown at the start of a Phase IV documentary.

Four vehicles were built when production was stopped. Three were built as race cars for the Bathurst 500 in October, and one made it off the production line for sale to the public. The four vehicles were sold by Ford Australia, but the Phase IV was never officially released.

That last entry is certainly incorrect....
Ford only built and sold one factory (calypso green) XA GT HO.....
The other 4 cars were hand built outside the factory to HO specs and only one was ever race ready....

mrbaxr6t 09-11-2010 02:21 PM

misconceptions huh ok I will triple up the flame suit and hide in a bomb shelter and say this is a misconception

the GT-P is a better car than the F6 typhoon :bolt :peepwall

TheInterceptor 09-11-2010 02:23 PM

More saftey gadgets means you can drive like a stupid and still come out on top.

XWGT 09-11-2010 02:49 PM

Misconception

Wikipedia is an authorative resource.

People, wikipedia is developed and updated by people who frequent online forums. Need I say more?

Riksta 09-11-2010 03:11 PM

I was under the misconception that MC Hammer was on these forums when I saw you could turn his most famous lyric into forum emoticons:

:stop ! :dhorse !

fmc351 09-11-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XWGT

People, wikipedia is developed and updated by people who frequent online forums. Need I say more?

That one is a misconception.

Its moderated, and while it can be added to by many, over time, it becomes closer to the truth. They dont simply leave whatever someone wants to put up.

Misconception 2
Threads stay on topic.

trippytaka 09-11-2010 03:24 PM

Surprisingly, in the general public, that a hybrid car needs to be plugged into a mains to charge.

F6T 09-11-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Goose
That last entry is certainly incorrect....
Ford only built and sold one factory (calypso green) XA GT HO.....
The other 4 cars were hand built outside the factory to HO specs and only one was ever race ready....

Don't you mean 'the other 3 cars'?

XWGT 09-11-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmc351
That one is a misconception.

Its moderated, and while it can be added to by many, over time, it becomes closer to the truth. They dont simply leave whatever someone wants to put up.

Misconception 2
Threads stay on topic.

Politicians have the ability to edit their own entries. Need I say more?

XR6_661 09-11-2010 04:02 PM

BA/BF N/As are real ball tearers.

fmc351 09-11-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XWGT
Politicians have the ability to edit their own entries. Need I say more?

Try edit a page, then go back a few days later and see what happens.