Australian Ford Forums

Australian Ford Forums (https://www.fordforums.com.au/index.php)
-   AU Falcon.com.au (https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Tow points (https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=96406)

AU dude 20-04-2007 07:37 PM

Tow points

Last night I got a call from a mate, who somehow managed to get himself bogged on a main road shoulder.

Anyways I get some thick rope out of my shed and drive down to him. After looking at the car and laughing at my mate I back my car up to his. Then I had a look under my car and couldnt find anything like a tow point or think loop of metal I normally see under other cars. I also had a look under the front and couldnt see any. Ive heard people hooking it up to the watts link/panard bar and bending them, so I wasnt going to use that.

Im not sure if it was just too dark (no lamp posts around plus my phone doesnt have a torch on it) but is there any tow points on an AU? Front and back? If so, where abouts are they?

Cheers...

au2sw 20-04-2007 07:58 PM

watts link?:wtf: nah, you wouldnt do that, as you said, they bend them. if you have live axel, around the diff housing works (obviously to one side on the thinner side where the axels are) but there are tow points front and rear, check you owners manual fro the points as im not really sure where they are on the sedan (i have a wagon), but they should be on the drivers side corners. the front one is behind the spliter and sits level with it. basically just a 3mm piece of steel hanging down with the oval hole for a hook.

AU dude 20-04-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by au2sw
watts link?:wtf: nah, you wouldnt do that, as you said, they bend them. if you have live axel, around the diff housing works (obviously to one side on the thinner side where the axels are) but there are tow points front and rear, check you owners manual fro the points as im not really sure where they are on the sedan (i have a wagon), but they should be on the drivers side corners. the front one is behind the spliter and sits level with it. basically just a 3mm piece of steel hanging down with the oval hole for a hook.

Ok, I'll have a look tomorrow under the car for next time.

Yea I do have live axle and thought about the idea of using it as a tow point but since Ive lowered it, its a c*** to get under the rear and I had a full tank of petrol so it sat about 10mm lower then normal. I even have trouble pumping up the jack when Im trying to lift the rear.

usa966 30-10-2020 02:55 PM

Re: Tow points

i cant find a tow hook,or any tow point on my au's either

aussiblue 30-10-2020 04:11 PM

The owner's handbook will nominate the emergency towing points; often the tie down and at the rear a tow bar, if fitted, with notes that they should only be used in an emergency and then only for "light towing" on flat smooth surfaces.

redxm 30-10-2020 06:02 PM

AU's dont break down so they never need towing.

or so they say..