View Single Post
Old 23-01-2024, 09:04 PM   #47
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: So like me you thought it was OK to plug a 10amp device into a 15amp outlet.

I received a message from another forum member yesterday that said in part:

Quote:
Hello Aussieblue,
As someone who regularly plugs 10A in to my 15A points I have followed your thread with interest. This morning I emailed Building and Energy WA and asked the question. Can’t believe how quickly someone from the Energy Safety Compliance Team called , the fellow I spoke with said there is no issues at all with 10A in to 15A, a lot went over my head but basically the circuit is still protected and a 15A socket is designed to take both.
:

So I also emailed the Energy Safety Compliance Team at the WA at Building and Energy WA at be.energy@dmirs.wa.gov.au relaying the advice given from DETA via Bunnings Workshop Forum site and I was also assured that there is absolutely no issues at all with plugging a 10 amp plug into into 15 amp socket and it was perfectly safe to do so as basically the circuit is still protected and that a Australian 15A socket is meant to be designed to take both. The also said that they were puzzled as to why DETA would produce a 15amp socket that could not take a 10amp plug. So this certainly raises questions about the advice from DETA or even perhaps to what extent their products meets Australian standards.