Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #3274
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
This source is pretty much on the left of politics.
Which means that it will report in such a way as to make the US look bad.

I seriously doubt its positioning takes into account infection rate, hospitalisations, and deaths - per capita

It is getting insane trying to understand real numbers here (US).
Deaths are overstated, better testing means an increase in reported infection rate (as it picks asymptomatic and minor).
Reported hospitalisations, or Intubations are the only reliable measure - and these figures are not easily available by state - I say by state, because with 300,000 population, and different cultural, social, economic structures the figures need to be separated out to see change (To see my point look at the world figures, and tray to apply that to any one country).

But honestly, I would not trust any US media outlets on their own. To be honest FOX is one of the few national channels that have news programming that will acknowledge there are two sides to a story. (They even have a real lefty commentator among their miriad of right wing opinion hosts)

My best solution so far is to contrast Covid and Politics from ABC(US) and FOX
And catch any other stories from BBC.

I do not trust Politico (on its own).
We all understand it is impossible to give real time fatality rates for Covid 19 when large numbers of people are affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Reported hospitalisations, or Intubations are the only reliable measure
That is pretty much what China did when the outbreak happened in Wuhan. But because the hospital administration system was overstretched they under reported the number of deaths.

China claimed when the outbreak was under control they went back over their records and realised they had not counted all deaths.

The number of deaths in Wuhan was found to be nearly double the original number claimed.

Weather we believe that or not, China was heavy criticised for hiding the truth about the disease and lying to the world.

Other countries are not going to make the same mistake, that is why death rates may be overstated.

Unfortunately the US has some of the worst numbers in the world at the moment. This is a fact not part of any conspiracy by left wing media.

IMHO