Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #31
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why Ford will fail in Australia.

Here’s a statitistic.
Just a few short years back Ford sold 2500 approx Focus/Fiesta a month.
Now it’s about 250.
Merc A Class outsells Focus roughly 5 to 1.

Why the change?
Powershift is one factor.
Shift to SUV s.
But I dont understand why A class outsells Focus 5 ton1.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #32
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has he ever done a video where he says anything negative about Hyundai or Kia?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ford will continue in Australia in spite of the ramblings of Mr Cardogan and,
for a person that claims to not care about Ford, he's quite the emotional lump.

All in all, a disagreeable little man. Perhaps a bonus from Kia this month?
Of coarse they'll continue, but in what capacity.
There just isnt enough volume to maintain dedicated showroom space, so i see them becoming a niche player sold either alongside oppo brands which introduce competition to their overpriced strugglers on the same forecourt or in a greatly reduced no of stand alone dealers for those who are prepared to seek them out.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 08:02 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
There are two types of people in this world. Those who have a go. And those who criticise those who have a go. Car manufacturers exist to make money. How they go about making money is entirely up to them.

When the Ford Range first came out on the Australian market, there was a lot of criticism in the press. This included that it was; a Yank SUV that we didn't need here, its size, its fuel consumption, its environmental damage, etc, etc. If Ford had listened to its critics of the time, it would never had released the Ranger. Yet, here we are in 2020. The market has clearly moved away from sedans, and the Ranger is the perhaps the only thing keeping Ford Australia afloat.

My advice is not to watch YouTube channels or other social media channels like this one. Generally, there is a very poor signal to noise ratio.

As for Ford, stop worrying about them. They will either sink or swim.
Ford Australia stopped 'having a go' when the Australian taxpayer money dried up, they quickly upped and ****ed off.

No Australian presence anymore and when they turned their back on us that was it for me, no more love for Ford.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #35
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Ford Australia stopped 'having a go' when the Australian taxpayer money dried up, they quickly upped and ****ed off.

No Australian presence anymore and when they turned their back on us that was it for me, no more love for Ford.
Ummm, there are employees of Ford in Australia now, then there was 5 years ago 👍
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 09:10 PM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Look his primary job is to engage people, and I think this guy does a pretty good job. I don’t think he has a personal thing against Ford, and he uses a kind of Clarkson-style hyperbolic tone with a bit of sarcasm. At least he’s not boring.
bing o
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #37
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Chasing the premium market that we repeatedly are told just ain't gonna work IMO, no one I know thinks of ford as a premium product, and there's enough experiences out there to show that despite the spin it's just not going to happen,
Next ranger will be a make or break, what is good news though is that the Feds want us to spend up now and by loosening lending criteria shoppers won't be as hesitant to spend big on a car again in about 6 mths or so
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 01:34 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

ironic that many used to label ford the 'falcon car company' and prophesy that if falcon failed, Ford were doomed.

falcon failed. Ford are still top 5 or 6 out of over 60 brands here.

same folks, different tune...

'Ford are basically the Ranger car company. If Ranger fails, Ford are doomed'...

Old 29-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Of coarse they'll continue, but in what capacity..
The important point is that Ford survives, there's absolutely no need to cut and run.

They basically can't sell anything outside of Ranger, Everest Mustang and a few Transits,
so collectively, their most profitable products are still there even with exceptional times.

Vehicles like Puma, Escape and Endura are there for whoever wants them and dealerships
do what they must to survive.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #40
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
ironic that many used to label ford the 'falcon car company' and prophesy that if falcon failed, Ford were doomed.

falcon failed. Ford are still top 5 or 6 out of over 60 brands here.

same folks, different tune...

'Ford are basically the Ranger car company. If Ranger fails, Ford are doomed'...

hopefully they will have a volume product after Ranger depending where the market leads us to next, for like Falcon ending doomed the same goes for Ranger possibly - having all your eggs in one basket is not a good business model for any company - just saying.
Oh they won't disappear just become a brand in the mix of 64 agreed..
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 12:37 PM   #41
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I started with Ford back in 2012 and the product range was pretty awesome, and lots of sales across the whole model range. Every car was getting doors opened and enquiries and hence sales. Many can speculate where it all went wrong and why, but I left as 90% of the enquires was Ranger based so I got bored with being stuck in Groundhog Day mode. They do make some good cars but just not getting the punters excited to open a door on them. I wish them well and hope the new Puma gets some traction in the market.
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #42
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
hopefully they will have a volume product after Ranger depending where the market leads us to next, for like Falcon ending doomed the same goes for Ranger possibly - having all your eggs in one basket is not a good business model for any company - just saying.
Oh they won't disappear just become a brand in the mix of 64 agreed..
Utes are one of the safest markets though. There will always be a need for tradesman to use these kind of vehicles. The market just won't disappear like it did for sedans.

Being profitable is all Ford needs to do here. And IMG was profitable for the 3rd quarter. So despite the covid pandemic, they are still making money in the region selling cars. Which is actually a pretty good effort considering. Most people would have expected losses due to lockdowns, job losses, lower business spending etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I went along to the Adelaide 4wd and camping show on the weekend, thousands of punters in attendance, found the Ford display, front and centre, Ranger, then Everest, another Ranger and right at the back behind everything else, Puma.
Now i know its aimed at the 4wd crew but wouldnt you think in the absence of any other shows this year you'd put a new product front and centre, the punters will walk past it to see Ranger, but will they walk past Ranger to see Puma.
Old 29-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Here’s a statitistic.
Just a few short years back Ford sold 2500 approx Focus/Fiesta a month.
Now it’s about 250.
Merc A Class outsells Focus roughly 5 to 1.

Why the change?
Powershift is one factor.
Shift to SUV s.
But I dont understand why A class outsells Focus 5 ton1.
Luxury car makers moving down market. Badge snobs love driving their entry level Mercs, even though they cost less than most Toyota utes and SUV's.

I wonder if high rollers in E and S class's look down at peasants driving A class's
Old 29-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I went along to the Adelaide 4wd and camping show on the weekend, thousands of punters in attendance, found the Ford display, front and centre, Ranger, then Everest, another Ranger and right at the back behind everything else, Puma.
Now i know its aimed at the 4wd crew but wouldnt you think in the absence of any other shows this year you'd put a new product front and centre, the punters will walk past it to see Ranger, but will they walk past Ranger to see Puma.
I don't agree. You put the product you want to sell, front and centre. Rangers are popular, start at around $50k and go north from there, and have a lot of profit.

And like you say, its the 4x4 show, which also included boating, so can't think too many would be there to check out the new Puma.
Old 29-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #46
prydey
Rob

slightly off topic, but currently shopping for a new (to us) car for the wife. Looking at 2017 or newer Ford Escapes. I'm a ford man and will always go there first.

Now obviously resale plays a big role in the second hand market, but nothing comes close to the Escape for value. Looked at the competition (Mazda cx5, Hyundai tucson, etc) and they just don't tick as many boxes as escape, esp if it has tech pack.

Again, when new, they may be a bit dearer than their competitors, but the value is there i believe.

For consumers though, with so much choice on the market, it only takes one or two boxes to get a cross for them to go elsewhere. No need to compromise too much anymore, and consumers 'needs' vary greatly.
Old 29-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I don't agree. You put the product you want to sell, front and centre. Rangers are popular, start at around $50k and go north from there, and have a lot of profit.

And like you say, its the 4x4 show, which also included boating, so can't think too many would be there to check out the new Puma.
You'd fail at marketing if you put the car that might sell a couple of hundred a month, in front of the one selling 3-4000 odd a month, that's for sure.
Old 29-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #48
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Luxury car makers moving down market. Badge snobs love driving their entry level Mercs, even though they cost less than most Toyota utes and SUV's.

I wonder if high rollers in E and S class's look down at peasants driving A class's
I hear where your coming from BUT IF I was after a hot hatch a A45 is great piece of kit to consider to a Golf/Focus etcetcetc...
I wouldn't think I'm a pauper because a A class suited my needs.
yer there is "brand" buyers in all of them, just look at prydey as eg (mate you know not intended to offend just discussion)
See I'll go the CX5 anyday, infact thats what the wife wanted and I showed her all the others.
She won't go near a Ford in any case (like most fo the market today) but its splitting hairs positives negatives when buying the high end model and besides, the wife wouldn't have a clue which had 1 knick nack better than the other BUT I know our experiences with Mazda to date is a no fuss good service since new.
Thats all I need being its the wife's car.
As for the value being there, being a private purchase in the case of the wife's - trade or sell time the "value" isn't there - get it, depreciation sucks whereas the Mazda will have that little bit more.
Some care about this some not whatever.
Old 29-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #49
winkle

The one (and only) way to keep Ford in Australia is for them to sell cars. Put your money where your mouth is. I did - my Wildtrak will be delivered next week.
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
You'd fail at marketing if you put the car that might sell a couple of hundred a month, in front of the one selling 3-4000 odd a month, that's for sure.
Lol, yeah im sure putting Puma out the front of a small display is going to have a negative impact on Ranger sales.
The point is, everyone knows what Ranger is and where to buy it, Puma is a new model and not very big in size, im sure the punters walking past would be able to see the Ranger behind it if the were looking but it wasnt so easy to notice the Puma behind the Ranger.
Old 29-10-2020, 05:18 PM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Why bring it at all then, could have put another Ranger or Everest or any of their other larger SUV's in its place.
Old 29-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Utes are one of the safest markets though. There will always be a need for tradesman to use these kind of vehicles. The market just won't disappear like it did for sedans.

Being profitable is all Ford needs to do here. And IMG was profitable for the 3rd quarter. So despite the covid pandemic, they are still making money in the region selling cars. Which is actually a pretty good effort considering. Most people would have expected losses due to lockdowns, job losses, lower business spending etc.
The word from America is over 300,000 reservations for Bronco with Ford expecting
around 70% conversion to orders, what we would give to have new, fresh product like that.

It must be clear to Ford by now that our tastes differ a bit from Europe but we're not entirely
American taste either...maybe something in between.

I like the sound of Bronco Sport and the new smaller dual cab Ute called Maverick, perhaps
Ford should take a look at a few different products for us, things that other manufacturers
in our market aren't really covering.....couldn't hurt.
Old 29-10-2020, 06:25 PM   #53
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
The one (and only) way to keep Ford in Australia is for them to sell cars. Put your money where your mouth is. I did - my Wildtrak will be delivered next week.
Yeah it is easy to see why Ford push Rangers,especially the higher spec’d jobs which are probably overpriced by about $10k
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 08:23 PM   #54
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Put my money where mouth is depending what suits my needs like anybody and likes.
That’s life
Old 29-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #55
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah it is easy to see why Ford push Rangers,especially the higher spec’d jobs which are probably overpriced by about $10k
A fool and his money are easy parted?
Old 30-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #56
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd hate to think that we descend to the level of calling Ranger buyers fools just because
they're prepared to pay a premium to get what they want.....

I think it's compelling that both Toyota an Ford are able to charge premium pricing for their
4x4 pick ups and still get decent sales, not only that, be the top two in the segment.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #57
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'd hate to think that we descend to the level of calling Ranger buyers fools just because

I think it's compelling that both Toyota an Ford are able to charge premium pricing for their
4x4 pick ups and still get decent sales, not only that, be the top two in the segment.
It is just outright jealousy. If people were not willing then it would not sell, its that simple. People also take advantage of tax breaks for them, I think the fool would be those who can and dont.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

People can buy whatever the **** they like, no skin off my nose, but lets not lose sight of the fact that Ford and Toyota are taking the **** with what they ask, and in Fords case you either pay the premium or they cut the product.
But go your hardest by all means.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yer there is "brand" buyers in all of them, just look at prydey as eg (mate you know not intended to offend just discussion)
no offense taken. I agree absolutely. Marketing would make up a very small percentage of the bulk of some of the big sellers. Many buyers of toyota, mazda etc would just continue to buy that product without even considering other options. I don't hide from the fact that i am the same with ford. My experience with them is positive and i like the products, so always look there first.

quite often, blind loyalty gets criticized however its one of the main reasons why other brands sell well.
Old 30-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #60
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

No one here, well not many, know how much they are making per sale or what investment $$ are required to continue developing them. I dont think its as simple as looking at the RRP.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: