Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: That moment in time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My poor XF
Wait till they start talking about Brony's, then your in trouble.

For what it's worth I'm 25 and I have no idea what is transcribed above.

(I'm aware of the contradiction above)
Bronys, - Bronies

Guys who watch the cartoon "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

Pony generally associated with fantasies of little girls, Bronies, guys LOL.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #32
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

I'm 45 and have 4 daughters aged 14, 16, 23, 25 and the two youngest ones sometimes I have no idea what there talking about. Makes me feel old sometimes. And my grand daughter just turned 4 I've got no hope cheers Gary
ego gtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #33
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Bronys, - Bronies

Guys who watch the cartoon "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

Pony generally associated with fantasies of little girls, Bronies, guys LOL.
Pretty damn sad isn't it.
Old 17-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #34
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe the other day my mum showed me a weird picture and i said "STRIKE ME PINK" lol im 22 in a couple of weeks
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #35
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Hi All

I would like to recollect an event that occured yesterday, whilst I was in the Shopping Centre. I believe it is possibly a defining moment, where I have realised that the generation gap does exist and I am what the youth of today would refer to as an "Old"

Two young people noticed each other and below is a detailed explaination of what I encountered.

Girl: Hey. (Big smile)
Boy: Sup. (look around, stare at the ground)
Girl: O. (Shrugging shoulders)
Boy: K (looks around some more, looks at his phone)
Girl: You loning (looks at boy)
Boy: Olds (glances over at his mum)
Girl: Soz. (checks text message on phone)
Boy: ughrrg (kind of grunts)
Girl: Later (walks off with her friend)
Boy: Catch (continues staring at his phone)

What had I just witnessed? Was is some sort of communique between people? I felt like I was David Attenborough, working my way through the Concrete jungle to discover a well known, yet hardly ever listened to, in detail, species - known as - The Urban Teenager.

An often thought of mystical creature who only wanders from the confines of their cave (bedroom), where they appear to be in a sort of half hibernation, before entering the living area/kitchen periodically, where hunting and gathering takes place before returning to it's cave.

Anthropologists in years to come will be able to pin point the moment in time, where Humans beings returned to their ancient roots and began talking and interacting just like cavemen.

Same conversation in my day:

Girl: Hello (Persons name) How are you? (Big smile, direct eye contact)
Boy: Not too bad. And yourself? (looking straight at girl)
Girl: Good thanks. (still smiling, looking at boy)
Boy: Great to hear it. You are looking well (still making eye contact with girl)
Girl: Are you here on your own? (looks at boy)
Boy: No. I am here with my mum (glances over at his mum, smiles)
Girl: Oh, well I hope she doesn't make you try on clothes or something like that (giggles)
Boy: Me too (looks slightly embarrassed but smiling)
Girl: Well I have to go. Nice seeing you. Bye! (walks off with her friend)
Boy: You too. Talk to you soon. (walks over to his mum)

Surely our lives are not that fast paced that we must tear down the Englsh language to it's core. Where has the English language gone? Why does everything have to be shortened? Was is soooo urgent that we have to barely communicate?

Had I just had that moment in time...??

The moment in which I was turning into something, I have dreaded for a few years now...am I indeed turning into my parents!?!

Cheers
Col
I'm 16, and there's no way I talk like that. I may say 'bro' to my mates, but apart from that any conversation with a girl, or boy for that matter is the same as back in Geez Louise's day...

Only stupid bogan tools speak like that....

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #36
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I think its the old argument; "conversation Vs communication". From what Louise had posted I would assume there was a degree of communication, but conversation? I don't think so.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sit the little buggers down in an English class and watch their heads explode...although there are big pushes to do away with things like grammar and spelling and instead praise kids "as long as the content is there"...for fox sake...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #38
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

The older I get the less relevant I feel to younger people.

My 9 y/o daughter has just interrupted me asking for a story before bedtime (I make them up as I go along). I think I'm going to look back fondly on being needed for such simple and lovely tasks.

Soon too.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah....
You're parents were probably having these exact thoughts 25 years ago when you guys were walking around all Marty McFly like, talking about being bad to the bone at Space Invaders and whatever, like you know.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #40
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Ah, can't believe some people really talk like that. Only I few I know talk like that... but ugh... not me.

When people do talk to me like that, I do understand it, but it usually takes me a bit longer to comprehend it!

Orl ths txtn typ wrtn tkes me about 2 times as lng as wll... ugh hate it!

The whole scene of slang speech, eyes glued to mobile phones, and some of these new 'fashions' just, aaaaaargh. What is the point!?

A few mates are hard to even talk to... when they talk, they don't say much, and rarely even look at you, always at a phone or a computer or something, and when you try to talk to them, they still aren't looking, or even give any sign that they're listening at all! Often when you finish saying something, they go "mm" or nothing at all...
Ah well, guess the world is changing... but there's astill a lot of us who don't wanna be like that!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #41
nstg8a

my housemate is 18, and she talks txt lingo all the time, she didnt used to when she moved in a year ago, but the last couple of months she started doing it all the time.
comes out with '****' and 'lmao'... makes me mental trying to understand her sometimes. add in her lack of understanding my subtle kiwi accent and the conversations round here get quite frustrating lol

edit: seems l o l z is included in the swear filter...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAreMyLife
When people do talk to me like that, I do understand it
that is it - as someone portraying a wise chinese/mongolian man said back in the early 80's "to understand, you just have to listen"

our parents thought we (around 40yo) were weird and you can bet their parents thought they were weird and so on and so on. kids aren't changing, it is just the world we are forcing them to grow up in is
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
glavas

im so glad i was born in the 40's
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #44
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

It's almost like trying to understand my Scotsman neighbour, across the road..........
when he reverts to Glasgowian speak, mid conversation.

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #45
street beast
PS13 K'S

I'm 18 and i still don't understand it... along with liking old fords and acdc... guess i'm different...
street beast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im 20 and never heard anybody talk like that in public..i guess its just me and the people i associate with..none of my mates use text speak even in texts..its all proper grammar and spelling (spell check on the iPhone helps haha)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always found it interesting that English is the only language that we are told should be allowed to "evolve" and change from year to year and that we have to keep throwing out old rules of grammar and spelling and "not hold onto the past", and crap like that...every other language has firm rules, strict grammar, and in some cases positively fights against changes to it...I'm thinking of French and Spanish in particular. Go to France and see if they'll allow English words to creep into things the way English has "evolved" and words have changed.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #48
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have to agree with you to some extent. I have studied a few languages now - Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Indonesian and am working on German and all these languages do have rules but so does English.

Having said that, our language is unique. I love most of the slang.

The point to this thread was more in the way in which these teens appeared to have a whole conversation in under 30 seconds....It amazed me and made me feel quite old!

Cheers
Col