Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #721
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: New to cycling

well another Amy's ride is over. Amazing day it was. I had myself down to do the 100km classic, but was soon knocked down a peg or 2 by intense dry heat. It actually caught a lot out by surprise. On the way up the Darlington Expressway, a young fella had a heart attack and had to be resuscitated by his friends and the St Johns volunteers 3km into the ride. Made most of us feel a bit sick to see the poor bloke out flat like that. Thankfully he is ok, and is recovering in hospital. There were also reports of a lot of riders seriously dehydrated and in need of care for heat stroke. I heard of another instance a rider misjudged wickhams hill and ended up over the barrier there too.

I ended up doing 65km after I tried to give willunga hill a crack in 36deg heat. Got about 1/4 way up and started getting serious headaches and heart palpitations. Thought about the fella laying on the S.exy so early on and thought, nah stuff this and turned back down and took the short cut to the finish line. Heard the temp got to 38deg at the top of willunga hill and also there was a strong dry head wind to contend with on top.

Some pretty treacherous conditions which I doubt many were ready for, but I must say the event was well orchestrated and there were heaps of water/refeshment stations on the way. No doubt saved a few parched mouths. Mine included. went thru both my large water bottles a number of times over.

So even though I didnt complete the 100km distance I set myself, I did however live to fight another day.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #722
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad luck Shav. Always next year, hey! I'll hopefully attempt it myself then.
That head wind coming from Willunga in to McLaren Vale was a pain in the rear end. The last 10kms of the ride in to the wind! It wasn't pleasant.
I too saw the bloke being worked on whilst climbing up the start of the expressway. Wasn't a pleasant thing to see! Glad to hear he's all OK.
Any idea when the timing results come out? I'd like to know how long it took me to ride the expressway!
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #723
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Bad luck Shav. Always next year, hey! I'll hopefully attempt it myself then.
That head wind coming from Willunga in to McLaren Vale was a pain in the rear end. The last 10kms of the ride in to the wind! It wasn't pleasant.
I too saw the bloke being worked on whilst climbing up the start of the expressway. Wasn't a pleasant thing to see! Glad to hear he's all OK.
Any idea when the timing results come out? I'd like to know how long it took me to ride the expressway!
Im not sure about the timing results, but the usual photos thru the checkpoints can be previewed here. https://secure.epsomrdstudios.com.au/browse.php?id=1265
It's not free to get full untagged copies though. I have a Garmin 500 so I didnt really care about timing. Plus I had nothing to compare it to as it was my first attempt at the 60/100km mark.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #724
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Good work on the attempt mate.. Hill climbs and 38 degree's don't mix very well and like you've said, you live to fight another day!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #725
TZENU
XY Driv3r

For anyone who is interested I'm selling my Ridley Helium frame (page 2 of this thread)... After building her went for several rides to realise I wasn't comfortable so I left her in the office until recently when I went to get fitted. Physio told me the frame is too big and I should have gone the small frame -- Ridley size the frames differently so a conventional Large is a Ridley medium!!! should have paid more attention when I was getting the frame.

Drop me a line if your interested or post in my BNA thread
Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #726
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

I did something this week I never thought I'd do- I bought a bike...

In my usual fashion thought I'd give cycling the best chance by buying something good and next week pick up my first bike since I was 10 (32 now)- a 2013 Felt F3 Di2.

I have to admit I am actually very excited!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #727
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Awesome bike there Jim. Di2 is the shiz niz bloke. Having the gearing change effortlessly and fast will be killer. My mate has an Azzurri Forza with Ultegra Di2 and I am amazed at how smooth it changes. Amazing machine for what he paid.

Your gonna love riding mate, and more than anything your gonna be swooning over your ride.

Pics are a must too. Don't leave us in the lurch

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #728
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU View Post
For anyone who is interested I'm selling my Ridley Helium frame (page 2 of this thread)... After building her went for several rides to realise I wasn't comfortable so I left her in the office until recently when I went to get fitted. Physio told me the frame is too big and I should have gone the small frame -- Ridley size the frames differently so a conventional Large is a Ridley medium!!! should have paid more attention when I was getting the frame.

Drop me a line if your interested or post in my BNA thread
You mean this one?

Dam if that was a small, I would be on it like a fat kid on cake. Even at the expense of a impending divorce and permanent groin mutilation by the mrs.

I reckon you'll sell it quick bloke.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #729
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Yup that's the one mate... Im going to buy a small frame but the Mrs has told me to sell the medium frame first!!!....

It is also the frame that Hoogerland took a tumble on when he got hit by the French media car in the 2011 TdF so it's a built tough frame that is a capable offroader , yet as light as a feather at only 950g...
Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #730
blueoval
Critical Thinker

yeah I remember the incident. Didnt that driver drive off and head straight for the airport on the first plane out of the country?

Definitely like the Ridley frames. They are a nice stead.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #731
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I wonder what ever happened to him.?? Probably got sent packing never to return to France!!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #732
blueoval
Critical Thinker

that's what I heard.

Anyway, hope you sell the Ridley and get what you want for it. Keen to see what you'll get to replace it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #733
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Awesome bike there Jim. Di2 is the shiz niz bloke. Having the gearing change effortlessly and fast will be killer. My mate has an Azzurri Forza with Ultegra Di2 and I am amazed at how smooth it changes. Amazing machine for what he paid.

Your gonna love riding mate, and more than anything your gonna be swooning over your ride.

Pics are a must too. Don't leave us in the lurch
Pics of my new Felt F3 Di2, first bike in a very long time and got to say i love it, suits my theme too- with this on the back of the GT I feel almost carbon neutral. Then I think, stuff it- what can one man do?

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #734
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Bloody sexy. Both the bike and car. Awesome.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #735
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Very nice colour combo !!! (but i'm biased!)
Old 26-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #736
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Nice little community here, and some sweet looking bikes!

I grew up on a farm, so no nice bitumen roads, cept for the Highway. so as a kid got quite used to hacking around the farm on my older brothers, sisters or parents mountain bikes. Never had my own new bike cos I was 3rd child.

Now been in the city for a while and cos I have a desk job 90% of my day involves either sitting or sleeping.
So brought my parents bike to the city. I remember being quite young when my parents were riding this bike, I was riding a 3 speed bike with the gear lever between my legs on the top bar. so 20ish years later i'm riding this bike!

No idea if it was new when they bought it, but it has shimano gears and weighs 17kg. Atm it is a little rusty in places, the tyres are perished, but still holding on. the brakes use to lock up easily as a kid but now struggle to stop, the handle bar grips had been worn out.
So I have got new grips for it now, and some lights. will prolly fix the brakes and tyres eventually.
it used to have lights driven by a generator haha (some of you older guys would of had one of these surely (i'm 25)

I actually brought the bike here a year ago to get a bit of fitness before going to Europe for a holiday. after the holiday the 1st time I rode it all the bearings fell out of the cogs on the rear wheel. (apart from brake cables the 1st thing to fail in it's whole life)

So it's been broken all this year and since there is now sunlight after work I got it fixed so i can start riding again. only been a couple weeks and will quite happily ride from Ikea to Glenelg along the torrens and the beach. about 19k's and did it in an hour 1st time.

When I was in high school I did a charity ride (bike for bibles) with this bike in the riverland(where i grew up) and that was 72km in 3 stages. but all along the highway

I"m not too keen on the traffic in adelaide so try to keep off any main roads and find any shared user paths I can.

Would be great to upgrade to a new bike, but atm happy to see how long this one will go before it dies. I like riding my bike, but not really all that into road bikes or racing. Quite like watching the track racing with the banked curves during the olympics though.

This is my story, thanks for reading and hope I havn't destroyed this thread with this pile of rust lol

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #737
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For Adelaide, there is a government website which shows you on maps all the bike trails and all the roads with bike lanes. I'll post what it is when I get to work.
Old 27-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #738
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Hey Dan,

Great to see you at least giving it a go mate. You have to start somewhere.

I recommend joining www.adelaidecyclists.com and perhaps attending one of there weekly group rides they have for beginners to elite riders. No one gets left behind either so there is no fear of feeling too slow for others.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #739
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANKY 1 View Post
Nice little community here, and some sweet looking bikes!

I grew up on a farm, so no nice bitumen roads, cept for the Highway. so as a kid got quite used to hacking around the farm on my older brothers, sisters or parents mountain bikes. Never had my own new bike cos I was 3rd child.

Now been in the city for a while and cos I have a desk job 90% of my day involves either sitting or sleeping.
So brought my parents bike to the city. I remember being quite young when my parents were riding this bike, I was riding a 3 speed bike with the gear lever between my legs on the top bar. so 20ish years later i'm riding this bike!

No idea if it was new when they bought it, but it has shimano gears and weighs 17kg. Atm it is a little rusty in places, the tyres are perished, but still holding on. the brakes use to lock up easily as a kid but now struggle to stop, the handle bar grips had been worn out.
So I have got new grips for it now, and some lights. will prolly fix the brakes and tyres eventually.
it used to have lights driven by a generator haha (some of you older guys would of had one of these surely (i'm 25)

I actually brought the bike here a year ago to get a bit of fitness before going to Europe for a holiday. after the holiday the 1st time I rode it all the bearings fell out of the cogs on the rear wheel. (apart from brake cables the 1st thing to fail in it's whole life)

So it's been broken all this year and since there is now sunlight after work I got it fixed so i can start riding again. only been a couple weeks and will quite happily ride from Ikea to Glenelg along the torrens and the beach. about 19k's and did it in an hour 1st time.

When I was in high school I did a charity ride (bike for bibles) with this bike in the riverland(where i grew up) and that was 72km in 3 stages. but all along the highway

I"m not too keen on the traffic in adelaide so try to keep off any main roads and find any shared user paths I can.

Would be great to upgrade to a new bike, but atm happy to see how long this one will go before it dies. I like riding my bike, but not really all that into road bikes or racing. Quite like watching the track racing with the banked curves during the olympics though.

This is my story, thanks for reading and hope I havn't destroyed this thread with this pile of rust lol
Most people today wouldn't have any idea about the old dynamo! If you didn't keep up the speed... no light!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #740
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like your story LANKY 1, it's good to see an old bike still being used. I am picking my mountain bike up today (hopefully) and I hope it lasts as long as that one. I haven't ridden a bike in about 7 years but wanted to get fit. I chose a mountain bike so I have a bit more flexibility in where I go. I hope it's ready to pick up soon... I might give the shop a call...
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #741
LANKY 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I like your story LANKY 1, it's good to see an old bike still being used. I am picking my mountain bike up today (hopefully) and I hope it lasts as long as that one. I haven't ridden a bike in about 7 years but wanted to get fit. I chose a mountain bike so I have a bit more flexibility in where I go. I hope it's ready to pick up soon... I might give the shop a call...
This bike prolly hasn't had much of a hard life, would have been in the shed gathering dust for most of it.

How do I measure the bike frame to see how big it is. I'm 6'7" and would like to know if I can get a bigger frame (any ideas on a bike would be good too), would be great to lift the seat up more but it's maxed out as it is

V8 dreamteam
Old 27-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #742
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
This bike prolly hasn't had much of a hard life, would have been in the shed gathering dust for most of it.

How do I measure the bike frame to see how big it is. I'm 6'7" and would like to know if I can get a bigger frame (any ideas on a bike would be good too), would be great to lift the seat up more but it's maxed out as it is
Bike frames vary from brand to brand. It will all depend on your body size, leg length, hip height, arm reach, etc.

best thing for you to do is a get a bike fit done at your LBS.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #743
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You can always just get a longer seat stem for now but as Blueoval says, get yourself measured up at a bike shop.
Old 27-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #744
LANKY 1

Thanks guys might do that one day. I assume like most things being tall it will be hard to get a bike to fit perfectly. Will do a bit of research 1st to see how my bike compares with others. Need to learn all the bike terms that are being used!

Just had a quick look at GIANT cos you guys have mentioned them a few times, like the look of this bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/...2/12052/57484/ About my price range, although I would prolly got up to the 800 mark

V8 dreamteam
Old 27-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #745
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
For Adelaide, there is a government website which shows you on maps all the bike trails and all the roads with bike lanes. I'll post what it is when I get to work.
Sorry guys, forgot to post this today whilst at work. Lucky I came back to read it!

BikeDirect the maps are called: http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transpo...g/Cycling+maps
Old 27-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #746
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks guys might do that one day. I assume like most things being tall it will be hard to get a bike to fit perfectly. Will do a bit of research 1st to see how my bike compares with others. Need to learn all the bike terms that are being used!

Just had a quick look at GIANT cos you guys have mentioned them a few times, like the look of this bike http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/...2/12052/57484/ About my price range, although I would prolly got up to the 800 mark

I've got a Giant hybrid and it's been great.
I'm 6'4" and their largest frame is a good fit for me.
I also have some physical limitations which is why I chose the hybrid and not a race bike.
I have one leg which only has 90 degree bend at the knee and the other leg has a crushed foot at the bottom of it so I have some difficulty riding - I can't walk very far!

The bike is really comfortable (especially with a comfort seat ) and very forgiving to ride. The gears are smooth changing and the durablity has been great so far.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #747
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Pics of my new Felt F3 Di2, first bike in a very long time and got to say i love it, suits my theme too- with this on the back of the GT I feel almost carbon neutral. Then I think, stuff it- what can one man do?

Both great rides Jim ! loving the white 5.0.
I'm LOL as I chose Blue for my Felt (carbon neutral LOL) due to the blueprint T3 got to be colour co ordinated don't we
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #748
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

if your knee range of movement is you main issue, whether drop bar bike or hybrid etc should not affect your ride, seat height and crank length will determine knee bend

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #749
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
if your knee range of movement is you main issue, whether drop bar bike or hybrid etc should not affect your ride, seat height and crank length will determine knee bend
The crankarm on the RHS is 120mm and the LHS 175mm to allow for unusual movement. My point about the kind of bike was merely to give my opinion as to how I find it.
Old 28-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #750
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

no worries, just trying to help, the main thing is you are able to cycle and to help keep fit

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: