Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #3031
hayseed

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Apparently they do give us a chart of where your personal taxes go towards. Here is an example. Its pretty crude but its suppose to give you some comfort knowing where its gone to. That said, a bridal registry type system would be nice where you can pick and choose what to support the most instead of the gubberment allocating it. But I would hazard a guess that some of the services that rely on taxes would suffer badly due to bias us Australians would have against them.

39.51% of Tax Dollars Spent on Welfare...
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #3032
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
is the NSW open home/auction a typo? How can you have 100 people indoors?
Some real estate Agents have their Own Auction Rooms, & often have Multiple
Auctions in a Session..
Old 12-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #3033
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ACT opening up a bit more on 15th. Most significant is that cafes and restaraunts will be allowed 10 patrons with distancing. Pubs and clubs so long as you have a feed.

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/faqs/...o-restrictions
Old 13-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #3034
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
I think he's referring to government bonds. Most governments of developed countries issue bonds, which are essentially fixed term loans.

During the Howard years we had no gross national public debt. What that meant was we were owed the same amount by others as we owed foreign entities. They were awash with cash in those days so used it to pay down debt and then to give out pork. There was still private debt.

The coalition mention stuff like this to perpetuate the myth they are better financial managers, just as labor quotes other stuff to perpetuate the lie they are more compassionate and favour the lower classes. If you set aside the propaganda and actually study their policy history you find there isn't daylight between them despite the fanatics aching to believe otherwise.

As in Alien vs Predator, whoever wins we lose....

Similar scale of debt was incurred in WW2. It took a while but it got swallowed by inflation and paid down eventually. Decades, not lifetimes, but that assumes they stop excessive borrowing at some point and that gets less likely every year.
Thanks for the clarification.

This is probably where Frydenberg mentioned he was selling Bonds/Share in Australia to help pay for the JobSeeker/Keeper package.

You are right though, the system is designed to keep everyone in debt and dependent on them. It's a no win, no get ahead setup. The debt will continue to increase infinitely.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #3035
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
You are right though, the system is designed to keep everyone in debt and dependent on them. It's a no win, no get ahead setup. The debt will continue to increase infinitely.
this is not a system unique to australia. every country in the world has debt.
Old 13-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #3036
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sooo any more news on the ANZAC deal to open travel to both countries?

We were looking to go to the snow in Australia but want to look to see if there are any deals/incentives to go to NZ instead. Australian fields charge like wounded bulls.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #3037
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

16 new cases and no deaths in Australia yesterday with most of those in Victoria. The CMR drops to 1.393% and active cases to 9.2% although we know that the Ruby Princess (the gift that keeps giving) has added another death to the toll this morning.

NZ had no new cases and no deaths so the CMR remains stable while active cases drop below 100 and now represent only 6%.

The UK had just over 3,400 new cases but the 627 deaths pushed the CMR up to 14.436% and active cases to 85.5%.

The USA had over 20k new cases and 1,700 deaths so the CMR is up to 5.918% but active cases dropped slightly to 75.2%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #3038
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm feeling very sorry for the younger people because they will have to lead a bubble life for the next 50 Years or more.
Old 13-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #3039
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
16 new cases and no deaths in Australia yesterday with most of those in Victoria.
Am I correct in saying these new cases are isolated to a couple of specific areas? Mainly cedar meats?

I feel like the bulk of the country, esp outside of major cities is virus free although this is very much related to testing still or lack of it.
Old 13-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #3040
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
this is not a system unique to australia. every country in the world has debt.
I know mate, no arguments from me on that. My comment wasnt just pertaining to Aus only. It was a general comment.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #3041
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In terms of those countries I'm watching:

In Group 1 (under 5 cases per 100k); Canada has shown strong improvement over the last 14 days as has Denmark but Brazil has continued to rise while Italy, Spain and Norway are increasing again after a period of decline.

In the next group, 5-10 cases per 100k, the UK has made good gains while Russia and Chile might be starting to improve but Saudi Arabia is still increasing and Sweden is on the increase after a period of decline.

The 10-15 cases per 100k group shows small improvements for the USA and Peru while both Belgium and Ireland have started to trend upward after a period of decline.

I've added a new chart for >15 new cases / 100k as Qatar continuing to climb at an alarming rate and is now having more than 50 new cases per 100k of population per day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 13-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #3042
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

We were looking to go to the snow in Australia but want to look to see if there are any deals/incentives to go to NZ instead. Australian fields charge like wounded bulls.
I hear you on that! Im watching with eagerness too

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #3043
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Am I correct in saying these new cases are isolated to a couple of specific areas? Mainly cedar meats?

I feel like the bulk of the country, esp outside of major cities is virus free although this is very much related to testing still or lack of it.
Half of the new Victorian cases came from that cluster, taking its total to 85 cases. 82% of the Victorian cases have been metropolitan with the remainder in rural areas but the testing rate in metro has been much higher.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #3044
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

It wouldn't happen until after Australia has completed its phased approach to reopening which is 3 phases of 4 weeks. So at very best 3 months from now.

At a guess, October/ November provided all goes really well.

My feeling is that we may have reached the low water mark with infections and as things open up then we will be managing the number of cases, so I doubt we will be free of this... and in that case the travel bubble may not happen.
Old 13-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #3045
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

While the USA might be gaining some traction, the data for the individual States continues to look somewhat bleak with most States recording an increase in deaths per 100k of population over the last week.

Case rates per 100k continue to increase for all States but some States are seeing drops in their active case rates so they are getting ahead of the curve.

New York remains about the worst affected with nearly a quarter of all cases and almost a third of all deaths in the country despite having under 6% of the population and it has the 3rd highest CMR (7.79%) behind only Michigan (9.73%) and Connecticut (8.86%). It naturally has the highest number of cases per 100k of population (1,793), ahead of New Jersey (1,590) and Massachusetts (1,137) but it also has the highest number of deaths per 100k at 140 with New Jersey the only other State over 100 (106).
Vermont, Alaska, Hawaii and Montana are all below 2 deaths per 100k of population and the National average is 25.2.

7 States are below 100 cases per 100k of population: Montana (42.4), Hawaii (44.9), Alaska (52), Puerto Rico (75.8), West Virginia (77.5) and Oregon (82.7) while the National average is 425.4.

The National averages are actually a bit misleading as they are significantly impacted by the figures for New York and New Jersey.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #3046
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

16 new cases for Australia and one death yesterday with only NSW and Victoria recording cases. The CMR rises to 1.404% but active cases are down to 8.8%.

No new cases or death for NZ so CMR is unchanged at 1.403% and active cases are down to 5.2%.

The UK had just over 3,400 new cases and just under 500 deaths so the CMR is up to 14.447% and active cases down to 85.4%. They passed the 2M test milestone yesterday.

Just over 22k new cases and 1,873 deaths in the USA saw the CMR rise to 5.922% although we saw the first actual drop in active case numbers and they are down to 73%. They also passed 10M tests yesterday.

Elsewhere;
Russia remains over 10k new cases per day;
Germany passed 3M tests;
Peru (~4,200) and Chile (~2,600) continue to worsen in terms of new cases yesterday; and
Brazil CMR passed 7%.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #3047
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder when we will be allowed to go 4x4ing camping or just for a relaxing drive.
Those activities in the photo above seem like a much higher risk than being alone in a car.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:15 AM   #3048
PhilT2

Dr Fauci told a senate hearing that the national death toll is likely higher than reported as some places including New York were not counting deaths at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#26c1ad351655
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #3049
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

From the 'how about this?' file.

I have an Occupational Therapist coming next week. I missed her call yesterday but I rang her back and at the conclusion of the call, I added her to my list of contacts in my phone.

Just now on FB I got a 'people you may know' (as distinct from a friend request) about that person.

So how does that work?

And people worry about the govmint covid app
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #3050
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is your phone Android?
Old 14-05-2020, 02:55 PM   #3051
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

I have an Occupational Therapist coming next week. I missed her call yesterday but I rang her back and at the conclusion of the call, I added her to my list of contacts in my phone.

Just now on FB I got a 'people you may know' (as distinct from a friend request) about that person.

So how does that work?

There is a setting in your FB app that allows it to obtain your contacts. It then uploads them into FB and matches on phone number. Your OT will have an account so it will then link you together as people who know each other.

Imagine what else it's doing with that.

BTW , you can opt out with the setting but my experience is that it's too late now. I've disabled that feature years ago and still get suggestions.

But year, the govt app is so much worse.
Old 14-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #3052
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

So how does that work?

Is she hot? Pass on my number
4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #3053
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I'm feeling very sorry for the younger people because they will have to lead a bubble life for the next 50 Years or more.
Those young bastards had it too good anyway with their smashed avocado and their electronic 'music'!

Don't worry Fed, us old bastards will be right
5 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #3054
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is your phone Android?
No it's Samsung.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #3055
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
But year, the govt app is so much worse.
The app is not the only concern. Peter Dutton the Home Affairs minister has presented new legislation to give ASIO more power to keep people under surveillance without needing to go before a judge to get a warrant

I haven't read all of the new act yet but the ability to seize any communication device at any time without a warrant may be part of the new laws..

https://www.smh.com.au/national/new-...13-p54smi.html

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...lication%2Fpdf
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 05:33 PM   #3056
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The app is not the only concern. Peter Dutton the Home Affairs minister has presented new legislation to give ASIO more power to keep people under surveillance without needing to go before a judge to get a warrant

I haven't read all of the new act yet but the ability to seize any communication device at any time without a warrant may be part of the new laws..

Reminds me of this meme.

41dtrv by S B, on Flickr

Based on those articles you posted though, that is a big from me if what I read is true.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #3057
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Honestly Phil, Google has all of the information about you.

Where you go, what you look at on the internet, what you buy, etc (unless you have a 20 year old Nokia mobile phone).

This is the data everyone should be worried about, not some second rate GovCo App that is meant to help control this situation.

Last edited by Fordman1; 14-05-2020 at 06:13 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #3058
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dr Fauci told a senate hearing that the national death toll is likely higher than reported as some places including New York were not counting deaths at home.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#26c1ad351655

My Gut says he is wrong, or the under-reports are almost equal the over-reports.

There was a group interviewing Morgue workers in NY saying that many were being listed as Covid-19 when they were not. They found one person who successfully sued to have the death certificate changed.

Whileever hospitals get paid money for Covid-19 cases, I expect we will see over-reporting as the bigger issue.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #3059
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
My Gut says he is wrong, or the under-reports are almost equal the over-reports.
We still have an increase in total deaths that is greater than the normal death toll plus the covid deaths. How do we account for these?
Old 15-05-2020, 01:02 AM   #3060
zilo
BANNED

I removed the Covid19 app from my phone as a direct consequence of the Amazon CEO saying on the record that if the US Govt asked for Australian citizens privacy details that they would have to give it to them.

No Bill of rights Protection in the US constitution for Aussies ...surprise...surprise.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread