Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2020, 12:05 PM   #3211
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
The China bashing and what they have "done" is a bit more complex than that.

Did you want to start talking about cost of living in Australia? Stagnant wage growth rates etc..all this plays a part in how much citizens have to spend.

If you are squeezed what did people/govco expect to happen?

Think the thread was better off with conspiracy theories, start another one up for the gradual dilution of the Australian economy if you must.

Interestingly, and not great, I know many suppliers in our area that are asking for staff to take leave and even Cummins has started to drop hours. Not good. And thats in mining that has been going pretty well through the whole saga. Iron is doing better than coal currently.
No i dont want to talk about cost of living in Oz .....because i dont live there , maybe i didnt get my point across well i meant were all to blame for the destruction to our industry ....yes people are struggling (its worse in NZ ....You think you have a low wage economy) my point was its too late.....weve sold our soul to the devil, the only hope bi see is if the world boycotts China and trade develops with other countries ,UK ,US etc

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #3212
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
No i dont want to talk about cost of living in Oz .....because i dont live there , maybe i didnt get my point across well i meant were all to blame for the destruction to our industry ....yes people are struggling (its worse in NZ ....You think you have a low wage economy) my point was its too late.....weve sold our soul to the devil, the only hope bi see is if the world boycotts China and trade develops with other countries ,UK ,US etc
Yeah so its not to late, we just need to tweek and take steps to recover.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #3213
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

8 new cases in Australia yesterday and 1 death so the CMR increases to 1.415% but active cases drop to 7.9% (555).

4 new cases in NZ so CMR improves to 1.397% and active cases remains unchanged.

Just over 2,400 new cases and 545 deaths in the UK so the CMR rises to 14.204%.

More than 22k new cases and 1k deaths in the USA sees a fall in the CMR to 5.933% and active cases are down to 71.1%.

In other news:
The global case total will pas 5M sometime today;
Australia has now recorded 100 deaths;
Russia has the 2nd highest number of cases of any country and will pass 300k today;
Brazil (16,260), India (6,147), Peru (4,550), Chile (3,520), Kuwait (1,073), Egypt (720), Afghanistan (581), Kazakhstan (311) and Yemen (37) all recorded their highest daily totals since the epidemic began.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #3214
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I was hearing on talkback yesterday that the UK had never closed their borders ?????
Its being discussed to action this by the end of the week !
If this is so as one said, the horse had bolted.
Can anyone confirm this.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 20-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #3215
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Russ from what i can make from NZ Govt we have 0 new cases, has been like that for a couple of days.
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/...-current-cases
Old 20-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #3216
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I was hearing on talkback yesterday that the UK had never closed their borders ?????
Its being discussed to action this by the end of the week !
If this is so as one said, the horse had bolted.
Can anyone confirm this.
Heard the same yesterday. Bizarre if true. Stopping people moving around seems to be one of the most successful methods of curtailing it.
Old 20-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #3217
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The argument about cheap chinese crap is something we have brought on ourselves due to wanting to get products very cheaply.A friend whose brother in law imports from china did a factory tour recently,and tells me the chinese have basically 3 levels of quality.1 the price most of us want to pay.2 the price we really should pay and 3 the top quality price.If we pay price 1 we get cheaply made stuff that isn’t all that good!but if we pay price 3 we can get quality that is right up there with the rest of the worlds manufacturing levels
Old 20-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #3218
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Hey Russ from what i can make from NZ Govt we have 0 new cases, has been like that for a couple of days.
https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/...-current-cases
This would be the reason for the discrepancy, it's happened in Aus and a few other countries, adding those that contracted or where diagnosed while overseas but not added until they where repatriated, or they were added to the country's total that they where in at the time of diagnosis. We had a group of ADF that where diagnosed while stationed in the Middle East but were not added to Australia's count until they returned home, the reasoning is so that they are not added to the World tally twice...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...ed-to-nz-total

Coronavirus: Four historical cases added to NZ total

Quote:
New Zealand has recorded another day without a new Covid-19 case, however four historical cases have been added to the nation's total.

Four New Zealanders tested positive for the virus in Uruguay, and because the country didn't add these four cases to its total, they have now been added to New Zealand's.

It brings the total number of confirmed and probable cases to 1153, Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield explained at the daily Covid-19 briefing at the Beehive on Tuesday.

It took some time to get a response from their counterparts in Uruguay as to whether they had recorded the positive results in their totals.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #3219
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

In the 70's Australia made just about everything you could want. Then Hawke happened. He replaced collecting taxes from importers who wanted access to our market with taxpayer subsidies to keep now exposed and uncompetitive industries afloat.

The excuse has always been that ditching tariffs was necessary and beneficial, but look at the result. We went from a nation of factory workers and farmers to a nation of coffee pourers. Between 1984 and 1994 poverty and extreme wealth doubled in Australia carving share form the middle class. We went for being one of the most egalitarian nation on earth to just another economically stratified serfdom.

They let loose the pillagers (or entrepreneurs) and when the bubble burst the proletariat were left to pay for the mess.

Subsequent governments played the same tune. This wasn't Hawke's fault, nor any politician. The fault lays completely with the electorate.

All this bluster that we should do this or that is BS. No one is going to change their vote, nor are they going to change their spending habits. The reality is no one gives a f***. If Australians can't be bothered ticking a different box at election time what chance of any real change.

And China will pass. As soon as labour costs rise the multinationals will move on to the next cheap labour market. China exports will decline enough they will have to restructure to run on internal demand. They have already tried to do this but it isn't working and I can't see how it can in the future. They will become a bit player as Japan did, only worse because they don't have the discipline. In 20 years no one will be talking about China.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #3220
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like how the add probable to it as well you either tested positive to it or not, what some one thought you had skews results a bit.
Old 20-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #3221
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
So Australia's milk producers are Chinese? Last I checked they were Japanese, Canadian, French and Italian mostly.

Let's not forget that regardless of what the statistics say about people's income, a very large percentage of Australians struggle to make ends meet every week. The fat cats drag up the average making it appear Australians are wealthy on average but it just isn't true. Families have to buy whatever they can afford.

Easy to say boycott China but Australia isn't big enough to support our industries without exports.

Easy to tell the people who are relatively well off or not associated with industries relying on export to China.
No idea what milk has to do with this, but interesting that you have one of the worlds biggest and most efficient milk producers next door ....yet you choose to buy from the other side of the world , sort of smacks of hypocrisy with our free trade agreement? ....but i guess the big dog can do what they like .....and hey its bullying when China's bigger dog gives you a mauling.....

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #3222
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

I don't think we import a lot of milk, I think the reference was to the ownership of the major australian processors.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 02:02 PM   #3223
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
No idea what milk has to do with this, but interesting that you have one of the worlds biggest and most efficient milk producers next door ....yet you choose to buy from the other side of the world , sort of smacks of hypocrisy with our free trade agreement? ....but i guess the big dog can do what they like .....and hey its bullying when China's bigger dog gives you a mauling.....
https://www.dairy.com.au/dairy-matte...mport-any-milk

Quote:
From all the dairy that is imported into Australia, milk imports have remained steady at 2% of the total volume of dairy imports for the past five years - the majority share coming from New Zealand.
Old 20-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #3224
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The NZ question has been answered. I can't see whether they were historical cases added or actual new ones in the dataset I use.

Here's the graphs for today which is a snapshot of the trends in a number of African countries.

First up are the two with the biggest case numbers, South Africa and Egypt both of which are still trending upward.

Next is the intermediate group. Nigeria and Sudan are trending upward, Algeria is flat while Morocoo and Senegal are trending downward.

Finally, the lower case number group. Kenya and Mauritania are on a steep upward curve while Mali and Ethiopia are trending upward as well but less sharply. The Ivory Coast is on a steep downward curve and Togo is heading downward as well.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #3225
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Note to self...Melbourne is NOT Victoria.
So true.

Pretty much every region in victoria outside melbourne is basically covid free.

The geelong region has only had 1 case in the past month. It's essentially a melbourne problem atm.
Old 20-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #3226
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
I don't think we import a lot of milk, I think the reference was to the ownership of the major australian processors.
Exactly. Why limit the hate to China...
Old 20-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #3227
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Exactly. Why limit the hate to China...
Cause the other countries aren't starting pandemics, and covering it up. Then start bullying any country who calls them out on their bull****.
Old 20-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #3228
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2% that comes from NZ will be processed as in butter and cheese
Old 20-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #3229
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
So Australia's milk producers are Chinese? Last I checked they were Japanese, Canadian, French and Italian mostly.

Let's not forget that regardless of what the statistics say about people's income, a very large percentage of Australians struggle to make ends meet every week. The fat cats drag up the average making it appear Australians are wealthy on average but it just isn't true. Families have to buy whatever they can afford.

Easy to say boycott China but Australia isn't big enough to support our industries without exports.

Easy to tell the people who are relatively well off or not associated with industries relying on export to China.
Me, you and those old bastards Cav and Gaso are sitting in a bar called 'The Firm' on North Terrace in Adelaide CBD.

We're having a great time at the bar discussing conspiracy theories about China and COVID Safe while enjoying our beers, Cav pulls out a genuine shiny new Tupperware container with some Pavlova out of his jacket pocket the sneaky shyster.

Gaso is out the back finishing his 93rd cigarette for the night and comes back in to join the group.

Gaso rejoins the table and says - HEY! THERE'S OUR GOOD FRIEND JEFF BEZOS COMING DOWN THE STAIRS!!

Jeff sees us, comes over, orders a West End Draught and joins our table for a chat.

Suddenly the average wage at the table is now 2.5x New Zealand's GDP even though there's two old bastards and two working class gents.

Tldr - look at median wage in Australia rather than average wage.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #3230
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Jeff sees us, comes over, orders a West End Draught and joins our table for a chat.
It was almost believable until this bit. The richest man on the planet buying west end draught

Mate they can barely give that stuff away. Even beggars wouldn't drink it
Old 20-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #3231
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
It was almost believable until this bit. The richest man on the planet buying west end draught

Tooheys red is worse.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #3232
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

How else could I make that sound ridiculously over the top
Old 20-05-2020, 11:17 PM   #3233
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Monty Python- I Like Chinese
(sorry any chinese, this is a parody, don,t hate me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH2P_pVze6s
Old 21-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #3234
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

You are endangering the world“

Quelle: BILD

Artikel von: JULIAN REICHELT veröffentlicht am
17.04.2020 - 14:27 Uhr
Dear President Xi Jinping

Your embassy in Berlin has addressed me in an open letter because we asked in our newspaper BILD whether China should pay for the massive economic damage the corona virus is inflicting worldwide.

Let me respond:

1. You rule by surveillance. You wouldn't be president without surveillance. You monitor everything, every citizen, but you refuse to monitor the diseased wet markets in your country.
You shut down every newspaper and website that is critical of your rule, but not the stalls where bat soup is sold. You are not only monitoring your people, you are endangering them – and with them, the rest of the world.

2. Surveillance is a denial of freedom. And a nation that is not free, is not creative. A nation that is not innovative, does not invent anything . This is why you have made your country the world champion in intellectual property theft.
China enriches itself with the inventions of others, instead of inventing on its own. The reason China does not innovate and invent is that you don't let the young people in your country think freely. China’s greatest export hit (that nobody wanted to have, but which has nevertheless gone around the world) is Corona.

3. You, your government and your scientists had to know long ago that Corona is highly infectious, but you left the world in the dark about it. Your top experts didn't respond when Western researchers asked to know what was going on in Wuhan.
You were too proud and too nationalistic to tell the truth, which you felt was a national disgrace.

4. The "Washington Post" reports that your laboratories in Wuhan have been researching corona viruses in bats, but without maintaining the highest safety standards. Why are your toxic laboratories not as secure as your prisons for political prisoners?

Would you like to explain this to the grieving widows, daughters, sons, husbands, parents of Corona victims all over the world?

5. In your country, your people are whispering about you. Your power is crumbling. You have created an inscrutable, non-transparent China. Before Corona, China was known as a surveillance state. Now, China is known as a surveillance state that infected the world with a deadly disease.
That is your political legacy.

Your embassy tells me that I am not living up to the "traditional friendship of our peoples.” I suppose you consider it a great "friendship" when you now generously send masks around the world. This isn’t friendship, I would call it imperialism hidden behind a smile – a Trojan Horse.
You plan to strengthen China through a plague that you exported. You will not succeed. Corona will be your political end, sooner or later.

Yours sincerely

Julian Reichelt

https://www.bild.de/politik/internat...8436.bild.html
8 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #3235
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Tooheys red is worse.
For the love of all that is holy; never, ever lift a can of Tun beer to your lips...
Old 21-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #3236
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
For the love of all that is holy; never, ever lift a can of Tun beer to your lips...
Touché. Forgot about that one.
Old 21-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #3237
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Tooheys red is worse.
Whoever likes that deserves the bitter, much like saying VB is a good drop - not.
I'll have a Tooheys New anyday from the tap - lagers are never bitter

Back to covid.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 21-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #3238
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Many decades ago when I was young (er) I participated in a news group called soc.culture.australia (anyone remember usenet news ?).

You get people trolling calling us backward, stupid, lazy. The australians would all just go yep...and have a laugh. There were however 2 things that popped up regularly and every time spark a flame war that would rage for weeks.

1. Which is the best beer.

2. What do you call 24 cans of beer.

Priorities.

An regularly some european would ask how many states they could visit on their 3 week holiday....by bicycle...

Oh how we laughed...
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #3239
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

11 new cases for Australia yesterday and no deaths. CMR improves to 1.413% and active cases to 7.6%.

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is the same and active cases drops to 2.7% (45).

The UK did another realignment of case numbers and reduced them by 525 but also recorded 363 deaths so the CMR rises to 14.38%.

Just over 20k new cases in the USA and 1,552 deaths sees CMR up to 5.955% but active cases reduced to 71.0%.

Globally, cases surpassed the 5M mark;
Brazil recorded their highest daily total of new cases with 19,694;
Algeria (586), Indonesia (693), Egypt (745), UAE (941), Bangladesh (1,617), Iran (2,346) and Chile (4,038) all recorded their highest daily total to date.

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #3240
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

2 new cases for Australia yesterday and no deaths. CMR improves to 1.412% and active cases to 7.2%.

No new cases or deaths for NZ so CMR is the same and active cases drops to 2.3% (35).

The UK had 2.615 new cases and 338 deaths so the CMR drops to 14.365%.

Just over 22k new cases in the USA and 1,403 deaths sees CMR up to 5.961% but active cases reduced to 70.8%.

The UK passed the 3M tests mark;
Brazil remained over 16k new cases;
Lebanon (63), Kenya (80), Iraq (153), Djibouti (219), Armenia (335), Indonesia (973), Egypt (774), Bangladesh (1,773), Peru (4,749) and India (6,198) all recorded their highest daily total to date - those in blue on consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Closed Thread