Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2023, 07:01 PM   #3631
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: New to cycling

Thanks mate, any recommendations on brand of lube etc, I think of the top of my head I had the RocknRoll stuff ?, it's up in the shed but I can't remember if this was the stuff I've got or not.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2023, 07:11 PM   #3632
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Thanks mate, any recommendations on brand of lube etc, I think of the top of my head I had the RocknRoll stuff ?, it's up in the shed but I can't remember if this was the stuff I've got or not.
SQUIRT

Water based liquid wax lube. Designed more for off road than on so should suit you perfectly.

Otherwise RocknRoll used to be ok from memory.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:19 PM   #3633
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ok guys, I'm in need of some advice on cleaning/maintenance equipment. My bike (Giant Trance advanced Pro 1 29er, 2019) and I've just purchased a Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 2, '22, for my son, I also have my wife's Trance Intrigue Advanced pro 0, I'm looking for recommendations on the best gear to clean the cassette and chain and etc.
Any thoughts ?.

On another note, why is it that I can't get an accurate reading (let alone any reading) when trying to inflate the tyres using my air compressor or Milwaukee air inflator ?, I use the little gold adaptor on the Presta valves but I have no idea on how much pressure is in the tyres, do I need to purchase a foot pump ?, are they the only way to read correct pressures ?.

Cheers.
As mentioned above, I use SQUIRT lube, which doesn't require cleaning the chain between applications. Just wipe it down and reapply.

If the chain does get dirty and need cleaning I remove it from the bike and shake it in an old milk bottle with turps or metho. Let it dry fully then re fit (quick links are meant to be single use but i re use them) and re lube.

I lube by putting a drop on each link, rather than squirting while rotating the chain.

And yes, use a track pump. I have a topeak joe blow https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/product...oor-pump-black
Old 06-11-2023, 08:38 PM   #3634
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thanks guys, our bikes get very dusty as we ride off the beaten track (dusty tracks) and mountainous terrain.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 07:08 AM   #3635
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
As mentioned above, I use SQUIRT lube, which doesn't require cleaning the chain between applications. Just wipe it down and reapply.

If the chain does get dirty and need cleaning I remove it from the bike and shake it in an old milk bottle with turps or metho. Let it dry fully then re fit (quick links are meant to be single use but i re use them) and re lube.

I lube by putting a drop on each link, rather than squirting while rotating the chain.

And yes, use a track pump. I have a topeak joe blow https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/product...oor-pump-black
Geeze, I had forgotten the old water / milk bottle, shake it up trick.
Works a treat.

Anyone here remember the super expensive Rohloff chains.
They were like jewelry. Swapped between 2 so I would never get them dirty.
Did last well though.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2023, 07:17 AM   #3636
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Ok guys, I'm in need of some advice on cleaning/maintenance equipment. My bike (Giant Trance advanced Pro 1 29er, 2019) and I've just purchased a Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 2, '22, for my son, I also have my wife's Trance Intrigue Advanced pro 0, I'm looking for recommendations on the best gear to clean the cassette and chain and etc.
Any thoughts ?.

On another note, why is it that I can't get an accurate reading (let alone any reading) when trying to inflate the tyres using my air compressor or Milwaukee air inflator ?, I use the little gold adaptor on the Presta valves but I have no idea on how much pressure is in the tyres, do I need to purchase a foot pump ?, are they the only way to read correct pressures ?.

Cheers.
Yeah a foot/track pump will be the best way to get a good reading on tyre pressure. Or a decent pressure gauge.
Just be mindful if the bikes are set up tube less, most regular track pumps wont bead a tubeless tyre (ive managed to with my giant pump) although if they are tubeless can top up via the valve if needed without breaking the bead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
We use worth degreaser at work, works pretty well. But another good one i use at home is Muc Off Bio Degreaser. Also a good chain cleaner device is a good idea.

As for lube, another vote for Squirt, we also use this at work. Also another vote for Muc Off dry lube.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2023, 10:21 PM   #3637
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Can brake cleaner/degreaser be used on the chain ?.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:24 AM   #3638
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Can brake cleaner/degreaser be used on the chain ?.
We dont use brake cleaner on drivetrains (wouldnt hurt it i wouldnt think). But yeah no hassles using degreaser, used a few different brands over the years. When using degreaser i try to minimise contact with brake rotors/pads (again not a big issue).
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 08-12-2023, 12:50 PM   #3639
prydey
Rob

So back in July i finally picked up my new bike. Those following along would remember I had back surgery in July 2022.

Getting back on thy bike was short lived, possibly mostly due to my own impatience. Thinking that exercise would be good for me I went straight back to commuting 3-4 days a week. Lasted just over 2 weeks before I had to give the bike up again. Just did too much too soon and combined with the constant struggles at work, ended up feeling like back to square one. So last ride outdoors was Aug 14th.

So long story short and after weeks of physio (and some enforced rest a month ago after covid finally got me) I am now keen to get back on the bike. I've done about 10 indoor trainer sessions and pull up ok afterwards, as long as I leave a day or so in between.

Hopefully over the Xmas break I'll find time to get back out for a pootle around. It's too good a bike just to sit collecting dust.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:59 PM   #3640
prydey
Rob

Regarding the indoor trainer for those who are interested.

I have a tacx flux 2. A few years back when I first got it I signed up to zwift but then cancelled and changed to fulgaz. Mainly because my wife also had a trainer and you could have 2 members on one account.

I've since gone back to one trainer so cancelled fulgaz and signed up to trainerroad. I'm a bit of a nerdy numbers guy so while there is no virtual world or video to watch, I find the time on trainerroad really good. It's just no nonsense training. Really good with training plans and techniques etc.

Alas, it's also very expensive ($30+/month)...

I came across a relatively new player called mywhoosh. This is essentially the same as zwift and it's free!

Its funded by UAE and has just partnered with UCI for 3 years. It works quite well and I've done 3 rides so far on it.

The only downside is the minimum requirement for your device are quite high. My laptop was too old so wouldn't run it but I can run it off my phone. Just not as good looking at a 5in screen.
Old 17-12-2023, 10:03 AM   #3641
prydey
Rob

Finally got back on the bike yesterday. Was great to be outdoors riding again. Took it nice and easy. I don't have a power meter (yet) and lost the crank magnet for the cadence sensor earlier in the year so it was quite liberating to just ride the bike and enjoy the scenery. A few complaints from my back but mostly it was ok. Am sore today but also did a bit of gardening yesterday as well which probably didn't help.

A gratuitous bike pic...

Only noticed after taking the pic that my saddle is a bit nose high. Should be level. Adjusted it once I got home. Need some new bottles too.
Old 17-12-2023, 02:14 PM   #3642
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Good to see you back on the bike Rob.
Went out for a pedal myself yesterday. Ebikes been gone since October, didnt ride it for about a month before. Almost all of the local trails here have been redone, most of for the better some they've tamed down a little which is fine also

Also gave the forks a service with some new seals, they hadnt been serviced since i bought the bike and were running fine but you know, just incase. No wear found anywhere
Got my Strava stats for the year, can tell when i stopped riding an ebike a little but i still kept on as much as i could.
115hrs of riding
174 active days
Longest ride 35Km
2290Km ridden. (goal originally was 2500, but dropped it to 2000)
30500m climbed
55 Personal records
5KOMS (King of the mountain)
Top 17% of all Strava users it tells me.
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 17-12-2023 at 02:23 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:15 PM   #3643
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I did my first ride this afternoon since my body started showing negative reaction to the forced vaccinations I got in late 2021. Damn I am out of shape.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2024, 06:34 AM   #3644
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I did my first ride this afternoon since my body started showing negative reaction to the forced vaccinations I got in late 2021. Damn I am out of shape.
You wouldn't want to ride around here then and I'm only walking atm.

Old 14-02-2024, 07:05 PM   #3645
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Ive been pretty lucky with flats of recent, that was until i had some new wheels built up.
2 weeks ago i hit a couple rocks, even with tyre inserts one of the hits pinched a hole in the sidewall of the tyre. So it was pretty much useless and i ruined it a little more riding home.

This week after i reluctantly fitted a new Maxxis Forekaster (New design) i managed to do the same thing yesterday, tyre survived but another decent dint in the rear.

Bit frustrated if im honest that ive managed to put a few dints in a stronger wheel. Is what it is, wheel still runs true not that it matters.
Im not a maxxis fan, but this forekaster (thin sidewall aside) is pretty bloody good. Its like a summer kinda tyre and it rolls and rolls and then some.

Ive got some Michelins ready to go on when i need to, they were my go to but were U/A for quite a while.
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2024, 07:33 PM   #3646
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Lashed out and got myself something for Xmas...

2023 Norco Fluid FS2, first crack at a dual suspension set up coming from a hardtail.

Mainly been hitting up local rail trails back home in Gippsland, looking to hit up a few new trails down the Otways / You Yangs while working away.
Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2024, 11:31 AM   #3647
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Ive been pretty lucky with flats of recent, that was until i had some new wheels built up.
2 weeks ago i hit a couple rocks, even with tyre inserts one of the hits pinched a hole in the sidewall of the tyre. So it was pretty much useless and i ruined it a little more riding home.
This week after i reluctantly fitted a new Maxxis Forekaster (New design) i managed to do the same thing yesterday, tyre survived but another decent dint in the rear.
Bit frustrated if im honest that ive managed to put a few dints in a stronger wheel. Is what it is, wheel still runs true not that it matters.
Im not a maxxis fan, but this forekaster (thin sidewall aside) is pretty bloody good. Its like a summer kinda tyre and it rolls and rolls and then some.

Ive got some Michelins ready to go on when i need to, they were my go to but were U/A for quite a while.
That's a bummer but rocks are a joy by comparison to some of the grasses.

I've spotted for the first time this Summer in Victoria's NE, bloody cathead grass (spiny emex) growing this side of the Murray.

Horrid stuff grows everywhere in the Newcastle / Hunter Valley region.

Old 16-02-2024, 04:52 PM   #3648
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

New tyres arrived, but i might wait until i get some wear from the rear tyre i fitted last week
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2024, 11:42 PM   #3649
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I rode to Jells Park last night. The damage caused by Tuesday's storm was very evident. Many fallen trees on the path and debris everywhere. I needed to dismount several times to climb over the trees. Near the Police Paddocks was the worst section.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2024, 07:57 PM   #3650
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Port Campbell ride to Timboon and back after work.

Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: