Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Stealing of catalytic convertors from driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
From memory in NSW atleast im pretty sure an individual cant scrap more then $80 worth without an ABN. Also they cant pay cash anymore, it has to go in a bank account. Its to stop the tax free income. On demos ive seen many arguments over scrap cable. My old boss makes thousands per year in scrap alone. He even bought an electric cable stripper so every few weeks would get an apprentice to spend a day or 2 stripping because stripped copper is worth more then sheathed.
Years ago, the junkies down the street from where i then lived would go around at night to houses being constructed and strip out the new cabling. One sparky got jack of that, so put j boxs on everything and livened it all up. One of the junkies got pretty badly blown up.
Just curious, does NSW still have a limit on privately registered cars an individual can buy per year. Was a limit around years ago to stop wheeler dealers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #32
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I don’t think it’s a big deal, some behaviour attracts examination but others know what flags it and keep rolling.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #33
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I don’t think it’s a big deal, some behaviour attracts examination but others know what flags it and keep rolling.
From memory it was 11 per year I think.

Old 26-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #34
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just curious, does NSW still have a limit on privately registered cars an individual can buy per year. Was a limit around years ago to stop wheeler dealers.
Dunno, the guy down my street has about 20 cars. He buys crashed cars that were not insured, so not technically written off, dodgeys them up. Gets his dodgey mate to blue slip them, then flogs em off. He has a lot of unhappy customers. One audi a8 he has refunded and re sold 3 times already. My street is lined with unregistered ****boxs. So i dunno if theres a limit to registered cars. The council every few weeks go nuts with towing stickers. But they just get scraped off. This guy has 3 car trailers and 1 trailer plate. But im told as none of the trailers have vin numbers and the same description, the trailer plate is down with the trailer description and as home built. So dodgey, but he gets away with it. But this guy buys anything. He currently has holdens, fords, bmws, a land rover, a Bedford, a morris, 4 boats, its out of control.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #35
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Dunno, the guy down my street has about 20 cars. He buys crashed cars that were not insured, so not technically written off, dodgeys them up. Gets his dodgey mate to blue slip them, then flogs em off. He has a lot of unhappy customers. One audi a8 he has refunded and re sold 3 times already. My street is lined with unregistered ****boxs. So i dunno if theres a limit to registered cars. The council every few weeks go nuts with towing stickers. But they just get scraped off. This guy has 3 car trailers and 1 trailer plate. But im told as none of the trailers have vin numbers and the same description, the trailer plate is down with the trailer description and as home built. So dodgey, but he gets away with it. But this guy buys anything. He currently has holdens, fords, bmws, a land rover, a Bedford, a morris, 4 boats, its out of control.
Sorry OP, off subject but I do know NSW were coming down heavy on anyone with a car trailer and winch fitted something to do with the towing industry jumping up and down, I guess the scrappy's would do the same if Joe blow started buying up scrap metal and cats for profit without an ABN.
Was even questioned as to why I had a winch fitted on the front end of the tray truck once, pointed out to the RTA it was to pull heavy stone onboard as the tray is fixed not tilting.

I supposed someone with large quantities of Platinum/Paladium would attract the same kind of attention.

Old 26-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #36
Kicking back

Quote:
Sorry OP, off subject but I do know NSW were coming down heavy on anyone with a car trailer and winch fitted something to do with the towing industry jumping up and down, I guess the scrappy's would do the same if Joe blow started buying up scrap metal and cats for profit without an ABN.
Was even questioned as to why I had a winch fitted on the front end of the tray truck once, pointed out to the RTA it was to pull heavy stone onboard as the tray is fixed not tilting.

I supposed someone with large quantities of Platinum/Paladium would attract the same kind of attention.
Stealing cats, really going under the radar would depend i suppose on if the scrappers report sus behavior. They probably dont give half a crap aslong as the can onsell.
But really youd have to be brazen to jump under a car and cut a cat out. Grinders and recipro saws arent quiet tools, and unless its a bolt on cat, you're going to make a lot of noise. So id be interested to find out the targetted vehicles. If it just 4x4s because they dont need to be jacked to get under them, or if its a general free for all.
Old 26-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #37
hayseed

Quote:
From memory in NSW atleast im pretty sure an individual cant scrap more then $80 worth without an ABN. Also they cant pay cash anymore, it has to go in a bank account. Its to stop the tax free income. On demos ive seen many arguments over scrap cable. My old boss makes thousands per year in scrap alone. He even bought an electric cable stripper so every few weeks would get an apprentice to spend a day or 2 stripping because stripped copper is worth more then sheathed.
Years ago, the junkies down the street from where i then lived would go around at night to houses being constructed and strip out the new cabling. One sparky got jack of that, so put j boxs on everything and livened it all up. One of the junkies got pretty badly blown up.

The Local Scrappies Here Photocopy your Licence & Pay By Cheque. even for 1 Battery. & have Told Me they get "randomly" Audited quite Frequently..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Having a lowered car has some benefits
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #39
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In ZA it’s done with a sliding door van like an older Hiace. They pull up right behind a ute parked nose-to-kerb, old mate crouched in the back opens the sidling door and throws a rug under the ute rear. Winds down the spare from inside the van.

When it’s on the deck, ducks out/under, unhooks the carrier and pulls the wheel/rug sandwich into the van, they drive off.
Sounds like a man with experience lol
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #40
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
The Local Scrappies Here Photocopy your Licence & Pay By Cheque. even for 1 Battery. & have Told Me they get "randomly" Audited quite Frequently..
Ive never scrapped anything for my personal. So i dont doubt regulations etc. Makes sense really. My old boss had a business account with the scrappers he used, so id often enough do scrap runs, but a signwritten ute from an electrical company with a trailer of scrap cable. So nothing sus, it was all above board. So its understandable to question some joe off the street with amounts stuff thats unrelated to what a normal person would just have lying about. I know with cable, they will not accept anything on the drum, or any long legnths of cable, because who knows if it just been stolen from a site or a van/ute. Same with full legnths of copper water pipes etc.
My aunties car got stolen a few years ago, picked up on a flat white tilt tray. The car never got recovered, the number plates were found in a storm water drain. So assuming it was stripped for parts then the rest scrapped. It was a 5L eb fairmont. Someone would have made a bit off it, it was a well maintained nice example of an eb fairmont.
Old 27-10-2020, 01:22 AM   #41
IanC

In the UK it is mostly Toyota Prius, Corollas and Honda Jazz that have the cats stolen. They go for vehicles which have the cats further down the exhaust rather than the ones which are right up against the manifold. Easier to get at.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #42
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Stealing cats, really going under the radar would depend i suppose on if the scrappers report sus behavior. They probably dont give half a crap aslong as the can onsell.
But really youd have to be brazen to jump under a car and cut a cat out. Grinders and recipro saws arent quiet tools, and unless its a bolt on cat, you're going to make a lot of noise. So id be interested to find out the targetted vehicles. If it just 4x4s because they dont need to be jacked to get under them, or if its a general free for all.

Some of this thieving is happening in places like train stations. Cars left there for long periods and making noise there less of any issue I guess.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some were doing the thing with batteries,pull up beside an unlocked car,pop the bonnet ,then lift the battery.If the crook is wearing overalls no one ever gives them a second look.If the owner happens along the crook apologies and says he must have got the customers rego number wrong,he was just asked to replace a flat battery
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #44
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Some of this thieving is happening in places like train stations. Cars left there for long periods and making noise there less of any issue I guess.
Over the years theres been a bit of theft in the basement car park of where my mum lives. I beleive a lot of that is to do with the fact people are rarely down there, and you can hear it if they are. So its not as secure as people would like to think. And the internal garage doors are loose mesh, with the manual open/close buttons within easy reach using a stick. Well, button placement is due to where the columns are, and the mesh doors is due to where all the ac units are, they couldnt vent hot air otherwise. Also doesnt help that a number of people in the 5 buildings with the common basement have desirable cars.
Old 27-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Over the years theres been a bit of theft in the basement car park of where my mum lives. I beleive a lot of that is to do with the fact people are rarely down there, and you can hear it if they are. So its not as secure as people would like to think. And the internal garage doors are loose mesh, with the manual open/close buttons within easy reach using a stick. Well, button placement is due to where the columns are, and the mesh doors is due to where all the ac units are, they couldnt vent hot air otherwise. Also doesnt help that a number of people in the 5 buildings with the common basement have desirable cars.
Yeah, they tried that in my fathers "secure" building carpark, all 8 floors down.
Opened every mesh garage door they could find. Rifled through and pulled bits off some very expensive cars.
My partner left her new Cannondale MTBike in it that night fortunately she remembered to lock it up to an internal post but a lot of others weren't so lucky and basically grab anything that was locked or nailed down. Even took the fire extinguishers.
Bike goes up into the apartment now no matter what.

Old 27-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #46
Kicking back

Quote:
Yeah, they tried that in my fathers "secure" building carpark, all 8 floors down.
Opened every mesh garage door they could find. Rifled through and pulled bits off some very expensive cars.
My partner left her new Cannondale MTBike in it that night fortunately she remembered to lock it up to an internal post but a lot of others weren't so lucky and basically grab anything that was locked or nailed down. Even took the fire extinguishers.
Bike goes up into the apartment now no matter what.
Locked out is 1 thing, locked in is easy pickings i suppose. And for fire safety reasons, there needs to be egress, so if youre in, you can always get out. Plus people put the roller shutter up and simply drive to their garage. Scum can easily sneak in before the shutter goes down. When i lived at mums, my work van didnt fit downstairs so i parked it the open visitors parking. Nobody ever messed with it. It was in easy veiw of the 5 unit blocks. Also security patrols the outside, not the underground. I often had thousands worth of gear in that van too.
The only time ive had a car broken into it was a ute with a canopy. It was in a paid 'secure' car park. The only cameras were at the boom gates, pay stations and lift lobbies. So somebody busted my hatch locks, grabbed a few grand of tools probably put them straight in their car and drove out like nothing happend. In the 9 hours the car had been in there, 100s of cars had left, so neither the police or the car park mob had anything to go off.
Old 27-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #47
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Locked out is 1 thing, locked in is easy pickings i suppose. And for fire safety reasons, there needs to be egress, so if youre in, you can always get out. Plus people put the roller shutter up and simply drive to their garage. Scum can easily sneak in before the shutter goes down. When i lived at mums, my work van didnt fit downstairs so i parked it the open visitors parking. Nobody ever messed with it. It was in easy veiw of the 5 unit blocks. Also security patrols the outside, not the underground. I often had thousands worth of gear in that van too.
The only time ive had a car broken into it was a ute with a canopy. It was in a paid 'secure' car park. The only cameras were at the boom gates, pay stations and lift lobbies. So somebody busted my hatch locks, grabbed a few grand of tools probably put them straight in their car and drove out like nothing happend. In the 9 hours the car had been in there, 100s of cars had left, so neither the police or the car park mob had anything to go off.
Stupidity on the management of the building meant no one was on the desk there to open the main gates first thing on a Monday morning for the garbage truck that needed access. They would simply leave the security gate open on Sunday afternoon all night. Sought of defeats the purpose of a high security building. I guess the thieves were casing the joint.

Old 27-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #48
Kicking back

Quote:
Stupidity on the management of the building meant no one was on the desk there to open the main gates first thing on a Monday morning for the garbage truck that needed access. They would simply leave the security gate open on Sunday afternoon all night. Sought of defeats the purpose of a high security building. I guess the thieves were casing the joint.
The major deficiency of my mums complex, well theres 2. 1st is the main gates are on a loop on the inside, but no side fences. So when i didnt have a remote for the gate, and only a physical key to her front door, if she wasnt there to answer the intercom, id put a shovel over the loop and park in visitors parking. The basement is remote only. The 2nd is when she again wasnt home to answer the intercom, when i didnt have an access swipe either for the building front door. The door latches werent installed properly, so i could work them back easy as with a car key. Thats access to the basement right there. The physical key to her place is a go to bunnings get it cut deal. Thats the reason i had a key, swipes and remotes have to get ordered through the body corperate at the monthly meeting. I have both now. But still, if i can work it out, any oportunistic bastard could probably work it out twice as quick. Its all feux, sold as security and people hang off whatever they were sold.
Old 27-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #49
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
BA cat is worth $50. BF NA I6 cat is worth $280 odd for the paladium in them. Turbos worth around $200. FG worth over $300.....
We had a leaky cat on our BF under warranty Ford dealer put a BA one on
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #50
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
his house wouldn't happen to be white and on a corner ?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #51
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m more interested in his blue slipper!

Some of the current affairs type shows will crib topics from other countries and look for parallels here. Remember the hysteria about “Irish Gypsies” the other year, or dodgy bitumen contractors? Standard fare for the UK, as are the catalyst thieves. Much easier legwork for lazy journalism than (say) investigating the real depths of corruption in local government.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I’m more interested in his blue slipper!

Some of the current affairs type shows will crib topics from other countries and look for parallels here. Remember the hysteria about “Irish Gypsies” the other year, or dodgy bitumen contractors? Standard fare for the UK, as are the catalyst thieves. Much easier legwork for lazy journalism than (say) investigating the real depths of corruption in local government.
There were pommie Gypsies who are all roofers. Still see them around in certain towns last time I clocked them was in Wagga 2 years back at the showground. They like me, and carnies, like showgrounds, don't have to put up with caravan tourist.
They have the most spotlessly clean trucks / 30ft + caravan combo's I've seen and have the most glamorous beautiful wives I've ever seen.