Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Will there be a reversal in the use of touchscreens in cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Anyone who hasn't owned a Tesla or modern Euro doesn't get it. Most functions are controlled by voice anyway and you can programme the steering wheel buttons to adjust wipers. I love not having buttons and haven't fumbled because of it.

I can't remember the last time I changed the vents position in any car. It's very much set and forget.
You use a touch screen to change vent position? Why on earth

I don't mind touch screens as long as I don't have to use them for everything. Like I don't want to use a touch screen to adjust the air fan speed or turn on a demister or such.

I've never been in a car with a rotary dial to control the screen, but I don't get how that can be easier than a touchscreen. I feel like you would have to take your eyes off the road more with that compared to a regular touchscreen.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 12:45 AM   #32
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

I don't mind touch screens as long as I don't have to use them for everything. Like I don't want to use a touch screen to adjust the air fan speed or turn on a demister or such.

I've never been in a car with a rotary dial to control the screen, but I don't get how that can be easier than a touchscreen. I feel like you would have to take your eyes off the road more with that compared to a regular touchscreen.
Cause they can. The vents aren't traditional vents. The whole model 3 interior has one long vent that you can adjust through the touchscreen. It's actually really cool not having Vents cluttering up the cabin
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #33
gooseneck
Banned

The vents on a tesla are pretty cool but...

Touchscreens don't belong in a car nevermind the glaring amount of light that comes from them when driving. They're ok if you don't need to touch the screen when driving but not if you have to adjust any controls while mobile.

I've had two tries at getting a LCD screen into a car. A few years ago I mounted a iPad to the passengers side seat and used it for navigation. It was useful because it displayed traffic delays and a large easy to read map including the time, weather. etc. However its not something that you should be playing around with while driving.

A LCD display should be strictly non-touchscreen unless you're immobile in which case it can be a touchscreen.

The other attempt was using a touchscreen double din car stereo, terrible idea. even if the volume control is a set of buttons on the side of the screen the skip track/channel seek functions were on the touchscreen section. Unless all of the functions are on a steering wheel then its no good. Every time I tried to change the channel my finger would bounce up and down and side to side and I could barely change the radio station/track.

Thats why I've got the Sony WX-900BT in my car now. Navigation is done with a Tom Tom GPS. That's all that I need.

I could save up and get an android tablet and mount it on a stalk and let it hover in the middle of the car similar to how a tesla's screen is. But its expensive.

Last edited by gooseneck; 07-08-2020 at 01:39 AM.
gooseneck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 01:31 AM   #34
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What gets me is that our new car (like many/most) has voice control, and cn do a range of functions from the steering wheel and driver's display.
so, for example, it will easily allow me to phone somebody.
Now the car will also allow texts to be sent, but not using voice control. No those have to be punched in using the touch screen!
Old 07-08-2020, 01:41 AM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
What gets me is that our new car (like many/most) has voice control, and cn do a range of functions from the steering wheel and driver's display.
so, for example, it will easily allow me to phone somebody.
Now the car will also allow texts to be sent, but not using voice control. No those have to be punched in using the touch screen!
Android auto/Apple a Carplay allows you to reply to WhatsApp and text via voice. Even Facebook messenger. It's been a feature for a couple of years now.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

For all those advocating voice control as a replacement how do you find its accuracy?

I dont know if I have just been burnt by Toyota's system but I really use it, id say 50% of the time I need to repeat myself and by that time I want to spear a pole.

Much rather use a dial.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #37
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

The rotary dials are usually placed near the gear selector on the centre Consol. Easy to reach, your hand almost sits on it. Using the dial is easy and it’s quick to get through menus when you’ve learnt the set up. Some touchscreens aren’t comfortably placed which means you need to stretch out your arm to reach and doing that repeatedly to access menus and functions becomes ridiculous after a while. I’ve had both systems now and if I had to choose just 1 I’d go the dial.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Anyone who hasn't owned a Tesla or modern Euro doesn't get it. Most functions are controlled by voice anyway and you can programme the steering wheel buttons to adjust wipers. I love not having buttons and haven't fumbled because of it.

I can't remember the last time I changed the vents position in any car. It's very much set and forget.
I didn't see the article as an attack on Tesla. It just used the incident with the Tesla owner as an example.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #39
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Voice recognition might be foxed by those of us who sing whilst driving! Wrong lyrics and who knows?

“She’s got a ticket to ride...”
- Navigating to Ryde, New South Wales.

Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Voice recognition might be foxed by those of us who sing whilst driving! Wrong lyrics and who knows?

i believe voice activation also needs to be activated by the pressing of a button... not just picking up random voices as you drive. My territory is very limited in this regard, so perhaps someone with a car with voice activation can confirm.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If we are moving towards voice control I want a car that argues with the driver.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #42
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
If we are moving towards voice control I want a car that argues with the driver.
Wouldn't want to be singing "I've been everywhere man".

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #43
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Guys you have to push the button in most to activate it so you can freely stretch your vocal chords.

Its interpretation of when you do speak to it is my issue. I barely use it for calling, I just push the call button on the steering wheel then scroll in the screen to find who I want to call.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
For all those advocating voice control as a replacement how do you find its accuracy?

I dont know if I have just been burnt by Toyota's system but I really use it, id say 50% of the time I need to repeat myself and by that time I want to spear a pole.

Much rather use a dial.
Depending on the car, I've had different results. Interesting, for HVAC functions, I've found them pretty accurate. For addresses, they can be hit and miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I didn't see the article as an attack on Tesla. It just used the incident with the Tesla owner as an example.
The article title is "Tesla’s touchscreen a ‘distracting device’, says court"

These articles are in relation to a driver getting fined in Germany for crashing his Tesla when trying to change the wiper speed in his model 3. The main function is controlled by the stalk but speed is via touchscreen (but can use buttons be he didn't know how).

Last edited by kypez; 07-08-2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The article title is "Tesla’s touchscreen a ‘distracting device’, says court"

These articles are in relation to a driver getting fined in Germany for crashing his Tesla
The article headline did its job. It gets people to click on the article. To me, it was just using that incident to address the much broader topic of interactive touchscreens in cars.

Either way, this thread, is not an attack on Tesla owners.

This is another article linked in the original one i posted.
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaig...s/infotainment

Its in the UK and not sure how extensive it was, but i guarantee you won't find too many scientists/doctors disagree with it. The way our brains work is well known... even talking hands free on a phone significantly impairs our driving and observational skills. Few will dare admit it though.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #46
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The article headline did its job. It gets people to click on the article. To me, it was just using that incident to address the much broader topic of interactive touchscreens in cars.

Either way, this thread, is not an attack on Tesla owners.

This is another article linked in the original one i posted.

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/campaig...s/infotainment

Its in the UK and not sure how extensive it was, but i guarantee you won't find too many scientists/doctors disagree with it. The way our brains work is well known... even talking hands free on a phone significantly impairs our driving and observational skills. Few will dare admit it though.
I didn't take it as an attack. I was just discussing the Tesla touchscreen. They were the first to go simplistic.

Why so binary? I'm not defending due to attack, I'm discussing as a topic of discussion. The Tesla system and the new Merc MBUX system are two systems that have almost no buttons and I was sharing my experience with them.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #47
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

Much rather use a dial.
The Mazda one has been ok, the MZD system is a bit slow with the Bluetooth initially but once synced speeds up. Voice recognition is fine, seems to adapt to me ok. Using Android Auto, mixed results, they did a major update on it a few months back and it really went backwards. But then i have also noted it depends on the app too. Spotify is horrendous but google maps or Waze seem to be very good.
In all though, I rarely use the controls (except volume and cruise control). The rest is all voice control.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

Much rather use a dial.
The technology needs to improve before it becomes the main system to change controls. But it's heading that way.

It must be so hard because people have different voices, accents etc, and some people simply can't/do not speak clearly enough for the system to pick it up. Might take years to get right though.

Usually takes 2 goes for the voice controls in my FG to dial the number I want, but that's an old system now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #49
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Voice activation re calls from my experience is most driven by how you set up in your contacts list therefore who/what you ask.
IE names very similar, obviosuly your asked to quote which line no ?
This for any software company will take time to fine tune I suppose.
Same goes for Navigation.
Bossxr8, yer the Sync in the Fords is getting on and int he frist place wasn't that great.
Sync3 improved but leaving it as the OE version its behind.
We've seen owners here in another thread go through a number of changes to upload later improvements/updates but I'm not that type of owner.
The BM is way ahead the Falcon Sync naturally as mentioned but I find its actually got too many fields to fill at times re setting up a destination, one day IF these techs can improve this to cut the chase and in voice activation just quote your destination once and presto it configures you accept away you go.
I prefer not to use the dial as Polyal says for you still have a tendency taking your eyes off the road.
I'm with Whitey re use of the rotary dial placement, its comfortable and easy, in the Bimmer and the wifes CX5.
She surprisingly is very good with that being her daily.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #50
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
The 2016 bimmer I drive is pretty damn good not having to look much at all to the centre screen.
Steering wheel activation controls is good as mentioned in another post.
The other better point is having your speed at eye height on your windscreen.
Press cruise on, see the symbol on wndscreen as well, all I have ot do is lock in the speed at the wheel.
Nav, it all comes up on the windscreen as well, rippa set up imo.
Wipers, they adjust speed depending how much rain hits the screen.
Everything else is voice activation.
Ditto with our 2016 Bimmer, no touchscreen, but im still getting used to the knob control. cruise control heads up display is awesome though according to the car i follow too closely..

Ill just add when touchscreens came about, I found them good in the 4WD/SUVs I drove.
But when I drove Sedans like Falcons for instance the screen was too far away from my seating position to reach without leaning forward. I don't think id be alone with this.

The BMW seating position is further back too which IMO rules out using a touch screen anyway.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #51
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Much rather use a dial.
Whilst not advocating it as a replacement, I use the voice control on my VF2 SSVR daily for Making calls, changing audio, etc. It lets me use the Holden version or, if I hold the button down for 3 seconds, I can use Siri... This feature and the Heads up display with 4 different options of layout (including Speed/Tacho which is what I use the most) and shows incoming calls, nav... Both very helpful and allows me to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i believe voice activation also needs to be activated by the pressing of a button... not just picking up random voices as you drive. My territory is very limited in this regard, so perhaps someone with a car with voice activation can confirm.
The Territory will end up calling someone you don't want if it Interprets incorrectly the cal just goes through without a confirmation. you end up learning the funny way to pronounce some names..

The BMW has a confirmation, but seems to interpret names much better anyway.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cause they can. The vents aren't traditional vents. The whole model 3 interior has one long vent that you can adjust through the touchscreen. It's actually really cool not having Vents cluttering up the cabin
Fair enough

Tesla’s also require you to open the glove box through the screen? Why? I’ve never met anyone who has said “this glove box is really simple, if only it was more complicated and fiddley”
Technology waa supposed to make our lives easier not making simple tasks more complicated
Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #54
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fair enough

Tesla’s also require you to open the glove box through the screen? Why? I’ve never met anyone who has said “this glove box is really simple, if only it was more complicated and fiddley”

Technology waa supposed to make our lives easier not making simple tasks more complicated
Glove box and hazard lights are physical buttons as per legal requirements at the time for model S. I believe hazards are now the only physical button requirement with model 3. Less buttons to fail really though it's run by a motor so go figure.

The doors aren't mechanical either. They are run by wire with mechanical overrides. I love the push button door opening rather than searching for a latch. And in the model Y, the doors open and close by themselves which is nice. As someone who loves technology, I find it trick.

The Mustang and Merc we have, for example, has so many options on the steering wheel that my older parents struggle with (Heck, I do to as the cruise control is on a different side in some of the cars that further confuses). They love that there are only a couple of buttons on the Tesla. Much cleaner controls. The Falcons had nice and clear/simple controls on the steering as well. I've never used any of the buttons on the Everest and Falcon except for the temperature up or down. The rest are redundant.

I find it easier having everything in the touchscreen and voice driven. I hate buttons in a cabin. Keep it clean.

Last edited by kypez; 10-08-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #55
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buttons are old technology.

Cars are mobile computers now.

Dont forget all the autonomy, safety features and media applications that have been added with the addition of touchscreens.

Cars with physical buttons will look like dinasour old technology in a few years.

e.g nokia bricks.

We wont have physical keys too.

Use smartphones, fingerprints or biometric scanning.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

I think the general gist of the article wasn't about removing screens and going back to buttons for all the functions of the car. Just those that have the potential to cause the driver to lose focus on the main role i.e.driving the car.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #57
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The big issue I see is how little Tesla cares about their customers private information. That raises a lot of reg flags.

Seems like the whole company has a lot of governance issues.
I think speeding, drink driving and fatigue cause much
more accidents.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #58
tweeked
N/A all the way

The worst thing with touchscreens is a bumpy road, very distracting and frustrating. Centre console controllers like Idrive are the way to go, anchor your wrist to "synchronise" the bumps and you can make accurate movements and selections on screen.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I've got a new fangled phone with Bixby...

Several times a week it catches something from the radio that it deems a verbal request and starts talking back to me...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
I think speeding, drink driving and fatigue cause much
more accidents.
More accidents than what? Did you quote the wrong post?