View Single Post
Old 18-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #42
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Was driving back into Auckland from the south yesterday. The DTE said about 65 km when the low fuel light came on. I drove up the Bombay Hills (about 3 km)and the DTE dropped to 25 km! The car's due for it's first service next month, so I'll ask them to look into this.

And then after I filled up, it was reading 860 km DTE after 20 km on the motorway cruising at 110 km/h! Is this a record for a petrol Mondeo?
The DTE is calculated on the real time fuel usage and tank contents.

If you are driving on a level road the real time fuel usage will be low, but when you climb a gradient the real time fuel usage will rise. Therefore the same fuel level could give you differing DTE numbers if you are driving in different conditions as it is simply a multiple of fuel use by fuel in the tank.

As a previous member said it simply tells you if you keep driving this way, this is as far as you will get.

To satisfy yourself watch the DTE drop if you drive hard or hold the gear lower than you normally would or rise as you drive if you take it easy.

To demonstrate I have seen a DTE reading of 1200kms after filling up halfway down the GWH from the Blue Mountains because I am running in 6th but with hardly any throttle so the real time fuel use is low and available fuel is high. I can see the numbers increase as I drive along!
Going uphill on the same road sees the reverse occur when the DTE drops by more than the kms travelled.

I treat the DTE reading as a bit of a toy and rely on the gauge to tell me when to fill.