View Single Post
Old 21-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #29
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Havent read every post, just some random posts.

I've been involved with Underground Mining for 22 years now. Started out at the bottom and progressed up through the stages from there. I've been involved in Safety Training now for the last 7 years now as I wanted to stop being an operator and get involved around the management side of things. Got my Trainer/Assessor Cert IV, then studied and got my CERT IV in OHS, which is a really handy qualification to have.

If you want to be in the mining game you have to look at it as a career IMO. Too many times I've met people who say " I'm just doing this for a couple of years to get some quick cash together, then I'm off to do a normal job".......

Yes, some do it for a couple of years then leave, but most get a taste of the $$$$$ and can't go back to a "normal wage".......

In regards to CV's, In my experience any applicant needs to ensure his/her resume is no more than 3 pages in length. Provide all your basic details, a current phone number, the latest jobs performed and referees - preferably with a recognised title. We really don't want to know your hobbies outside of work/your kids names/how youre happily married/your pets names etc. 99% of the time................

As there is currently a shortage of good experienced underground operators at the moment in WA, the site I am at are prepared to employ people from over East/NZ, if they are who we are looking for. (We currently employ approx. 8 people with this status, and we are still looking for a couple more Jumbo, Bogger Operators/Shift Bosses. Week on Week off Roster, good $$$)

If you a "greenhorn" seeking work in WA, but you live in Vic/NSW etc. then, yes it is much harder to break into the mining game. If you can have a local address on a resume, then that will definitely help. And if you know someone in the game, of course that also definitely helps!

I hope this does help a couple of people who are looking to break into the game. Post/PM me if I can answer any more questions you may have.

Cheers

Colin

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4

Last edited by spebgtsprint; 21-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote