View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #1391
dazzalec

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Hi all,
Firstly hang in there guys (all workers facing possible unemployment) and the ones who have already been made unemployed. There is work out there, the only thing is you may have to travel to get it, at the moment there is a lot of foreigners here on visas. They eventually have to go when their visas run out or they get homesick. (I have worked from the Northern Territory to Cloncurry Qld. to the Pilbara to Mount Isa Qld. since April last year). I am pretty sure in this time and the 4 sites that there would be around 25-30 percent of workers in these areas on working visas. Most of them are our kiwi cousins but there are a lot of other overseas based workers as well. Please don't mis-understand, I am not racist or being derogatory in any way, I am just saying that all these people (employed under skill-shortage conditions), will have to leave eventually, as most have no intention of staying. Secondly, if you are faced with your employer going broke get in and file a claim with the Fair Entitlements Guarantee Claim as soon as you have all the required info. I've been there and done that, I used to work for ForgeGroup Construction, until and during their spectacular crash in February. 1750 employees 1 day and 40 odd the next. I was one of the lucky??? few. Do not rely on Korda Mentha to do the right thing by you, they will only try to make more money to pay themselves.
P.S. Sorry If it all sounds doom and gloom, I really think it's going to turn around soon.
dazzalec is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: