View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #34
noddy383

Default Re: Support your paramedics

Let me say first and foremost that ambos are on a very short list of careers that I will instantly respect someone for doing and that I am eternally grateful to all those who are brave enough to take on the huge burden that goes with it.
I'm a radiographer and have worked in the country, in big public hospitals and now in a relatively cushy private hospital.
I've seen trauma patients from all sorts of incidents and I work extended hours being on call and getting called in in the middle of the night, but I know that none of that compares to what our front-line emergency services see. Plus I only get rostered on for 8 hours.
I wish that there was a real and acute threat that ambos could make to force the government to listen, but short of putting lives at risk, there is nothing other than the chronic issue of burnout and breakdown that plague the industry. As proud as it makes me, it truly scares me that my best friend and my younger brother are looking to be paramedics because I've talked with paramedics who have either given up life outside of work, including relationships or are virtually burning out in front of my eyes.

I thank every one of you and wish you all the best in improving BOTH your pay and conditions.
noddy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: