View Single Post
Old 16-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #58
DaveD_XB

Default Re: My XB Coupe RestoMod

I was really not looking forward to removing this piece of trim from the sill… I have had many a nightmare thinking of what mass of rust & rot lives hidden behind that

I couldn’t believe my luck when I pulled this off… it’s perfect under there, a bit dirty but no rust at all… happy days..

Next up was to remove the engine & gearbox from the car, I’ve had the engine out before & indeed the box too but never both at the same time, so I decided that I’d remove them as a one unit.. first I started removing all the bits that would stop the extraction, so I removed the tail shaft, starter motor, extractors, the rear gearbox crossmember & the carb (replaced with the lifting plate).

Like the Dodge the yoke comes out attached to the tail shaft followed by a flow of trans fluid…

Unlike Dodge, Ford didn’t see the point in fitting a drain plug to the bottom of the pan on the C4 transmission..

As such the correct way to empty the fluid is to loosen all the bolts on the pan & pry down a corner to allow it all to run out… really Ford, how much would a drain plug have cost here…

Having spoken to several people for advise it seemed that the easiest way get the engine & box out in one go was to keep the rear of the car raised to allow for a better angle

The jack is holding the back of the transmission as the crossmember is out now

1972 Dodge Challenger R/T - Mopar Weekend Toy
1969 GTO - Pontiac Weekend Toy
DaveD_XB is offline   Reply With Quote