Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #9961
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Traveller describes 'totally chaotic' response from Victorian authorities hours after Brisbane red zone declared

Quote:
A man who tried to travel to Victoria from Brisbane before it was declared a red zone says he was forced into hotel quarantine, despite repeated assurances from the Department of Health he would not be.

Acting Police Minister Danny Pearson said governments needed to be able to respond to challenges quickly.

"I do understand that this has impacted a small number of travellers who, as I understand it, were probably in the air at the time those directions were made," he said.

"But the government has a clear responsibility to keep Victorians safe and we make no apology for that. We will protect our borders and we will protect our community."

A short time later Mr Pearson apologised for the inconvenience.

"I'm sorry if people have been inconvenienced," he said.

Victorian Opposition Leader Michael O'Brien described Sam's experience as an "absolute debacle".

"These people were held at the airport for hours. No food. No water. Couldn't even get a jumper out of their cases."

"The government has had months and months to get it right, they're telling us they've learnt from their mistakes, and they haven't," he said.

"These people deserve a lot better than being given misinformation by the state government."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...urne/100041204