View Single Post
Old 16-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does any body know how Allan Moffat is going?

[QUOTE=yearby;6400395]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post

As a driver he was so easy on the race car in 1977 when he won Bathurst QUOTE]

I guessing that Alan Moffat must have learnt his driving skills of being easy on the race car during his stint in the 70,000 mile Ford/Mobil trail using the XP Falcon, they where going through excessive amounts of radial tyres in that event and all the race drivers where told to take it easy on them (tyres and cars).
Them tyres need to be run in or they don't last as long, they need to get hot and then cool down for a start.

Every new tyres that I bought before the 1990's were like driving a alligator home on the highway and the next day they were fine.

Same with road bikes take it easy the first day or 2 to get heat into them and they last well and that was with top shelf tyres in the 90's but if you fanged them on the first day they would scrub out like mad.

The Mobil Trial had a new road that they blamed tyres for chewing out, but I never seen roads back in them days with sharp stone like we got when they started using crushed granite stone that is sharp as, all that I ever seen back in 1965 or to maybe 1980 was smooth river stone in QLD maybe they used granite on that track it looks like granite rocks in the pictures around the track.

I was driving the wife's Aurion in the rain coming through a sweeper sighed 80KM/H so ok that's what I did and the front end lost grip, it was that new good thickly paved stuff that is smooth, now if it was sharp stone it would of not lost grip, I have found in QLD some crappy bitumen over the years, one was that the stone comes off and you are left with like a glass finish of something like Silicone and it is crap for grip when wet and riding a bike over it you can feel the crap moves under you, it's like that crap that they fill long gaps up in the road with.

As for Moffat or Brock they were taught how to look at the track and do there home work totally pro, in how to tackle a 500mile run like that, P Brock showed me this driving tec and yes I got the message, rather than just hammering it as hard as you can, you have to think everything through as to why you are doing things that you do, he would have a fit if you were abusing the car.

How Moffat did 500miles by himself at Bathurst in a total sh-t box like a XY Falcon, I have to take my hat off to him, he is the best driver ever of hands down of Bathurst. nobody can top something like that off ! non of the young blokes nowadays could do that in a XY in the same track conditions as it was back in the day.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: