View Single Post
Old 20-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #80
Pol84
Police Officer

Default Re: Digital Driver Licence statewide rollout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Good idea...

Plod pulls you up interstate and says that he needs to take your phone back to his car to check the validity (like they do with a license check)

Where he could use something like Samsung's Smart Switch and download all your messages and phone numbers.?

I'll stick with plastic thanks.
Mmmmm, look, I get where you're coming from, but I just don't think there'll a massive issue and it'll just be a shift in how system checks will be conducted. Writing down a name & DOB in your notebook and then heading back to the car for checks would sort that issue out. Also, bearing in mind I don't actually want to touch your phone for two reasons. Firstly, if I don't touch your phone I can't be accused of breaking it and secondly, I deal with enough dirty, grotty things and I don't want to add more to it by handling someone's mobile phone if I don't have to.

Onto the issue of downloading your data. If it's going to be done, it needs to be done lawfully to be of any use. That's not to say that of the 50,000 odd Police Officers out there, there isn't anyone dodgy who'd do it illegally, so technically it could happen. There's bad eggs everywhere and we don't want them in our occupation just as much as anyone else would want them in theirs.

Realistically though, does the law require you to hand the device on which your licence is displayed to a Police Officer?
61C (4) of the NSW Road Transport and Other Legislation Amendment (Digital Driver Licences and Photo Cards) Act 2018 No 21 says;

Quote:
Despite any other provision of this section, a person who displays or purports to display a digital driver licence is not required to give or hand over, to the person who is requiring the driver licence to be produced or handed over, the mobile phone or other electronic device on which the digital driver licence is displayed or purported to be displayed.
Pol84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: