View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #105
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Quick question re: DRL's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01
Hey Glenn - just wondering if you have ever been able to get 100% brightness? The test we did was to connect the red (fused) wire to the battery positive, connect the black to earth, and then touch the yellow wire to the battery positive: this gave us 100% brightness - while still holding the yellow on the battery positive, we then touched the blue to battery positive and they dimmed. For you, it will probably be the other way around...

Either way you should hear the relays 'click' when you switch the DRLs on and another 'click' when you activate the relay to dim the lights. One thing I just thought of though: have you confirmed you actually have two relays in your harness? If you look at the photo from my previous post (below) you can see that there are definitely two relay boxes in the harness (although it is possible to get two relays into one box!)
<a href="http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/smw757/?action=view&current=DRLwiringandrelays.jpg" target="_blank">imageThe relay to dim the DRLs will also have some kind of resistor to reduce power (I assume that's how it works)...

After you have tried the above, and they still don't dim, it might be worth emailing the seller to ensure they are actually designed to dim?
Hi, mine are exactly the same as yours. 2 little relays side by side.
I hear one click when ignition turned on; DRLS on. But I do not hear another click when headlights are turned on. So that must be tha answer.

But my issue is that they have never been 100% brightness, only 70% brightness. So maybe the relay is stuck in a closed / open position and not allowing it to reach the required 100% intensity.

Could you please tell me the digits on your relay, I can't quite make it out; 86, 87 85 and 30?

Glenn