View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
KerryW
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Step 1. Try and start it in Neutral, thinking in gear selector.

Step 2. Find out if it has fuel pressure, obd adaptor?
If it does have fuel pressure then it's not the fuel pump. When were the last time the fuel filter were renewed? check the EFI fuse? fuel pump relay...

Check the engine controls that may hamper start up:
CAM sensor
CAS sensor
Injector - ecu controls it?!?

that's all I got Kerry this time of the night lol

Thanks Cobrin

I'm currently compiling information and possible things to try. It started last Thursday after almost a week of not starting and I was able to get it home. I've tried to start it twice since then and it has worked both times. Still not game to actually take it anywhere in case it stops again.

When it fails to start, I have tried starting it in neutral and park. I've also tried to start it with my foot on the accelerator as the mechanic suggested.

I've seen advice to turn the key on and off 5 times before starting to test for compression. I haven't tried this yet though.

The mechanic did say he could hear the fuel pump working and the one I have is (apparently) new but I don't know if the filters were changed. The dealer took care of changing the filter and I don't have a report of what was done.

I'm also keeping a log of starting attempts to see if it is temperature related since it has been suggested that it could be the immobiliser or I may need to replace the ignition system. So far I seem to have more success with the car when it's warm but not enough data to say for certain.

The intermittent nature of the fault is possibly the most troubling. Whatever is causing it isn't completely broken and nothing shows up on the tests. The dealer has had it back 3 times, it spent a week with an auto electrician with no problems and then I had a mobile mechanic out to check it when it wouldn't start and he couldn't find the problem either.

Steep learning curve ahead for me
KerryW is offline   Reply With Quote