View Single Post
Old 30-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Default Re: New Toyota Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Not sure why they would borrow a Barra when the old 2JZ is so much better..

either way I don't think Toyota Plans on making too many of these, so its not worth the development. hence the BMW donk.

even with the sales of the GT86 they partnered with Subaru for the engine.
Lol, the Barra comment was a touch of sarcasm.

Fair comment regarding development costs and the use of the BMW engine,
but growing up with a mechanic as a father, there were probably three straight six engines that I remember as being extremely smooth, and for my limited knowledge both then and now near enough to be equals.

They were the Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Toyota.
The six in my Aunt's Toyota Crown was so smooth and quiet; and although probably down on power compared to the others, certainly remains burnt into my braincells as a standout.

Also not forgetting the Nissan 6 that I discovered later on in my growing years.

I love my Fords, don't get me wrong, and we had a wonderfully torquey and smooth 300 cu in donk in our family transport at the time, that also impressed me, but didn't quite have that finesse.

Not until our modern day Barra at least. Hence my comment!

I'm sure Toyota would find a home in their line-up outside of the Supra for a new modern straight six, but I guess I can dream of the old days, can't I?

Ed