View Single Post
Old 16-01-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Ibaker
Mondeo MD Titanium Wagon

Default MD Diesel Transmission Woes

I have been experiencing transmission failures in my 2016 MD Mondeo Diesel Titanium Wagon and are getting sick of taking it to Ford dealers to try and get it fixed without success.

I have just dropped the car off at a Ford dealer again for the 3rd time and I know of other 2016 MD model Mondeos who are experiencing the same issues and not getting any fixes from Ford. My Mondeo has now done 46,000 klms with more than 90% of its use has been freeway driving with the cruise control set at 110 between Melb to Canberra return and Melb to Syd return. In between the trip the car sits parked in the garage for weeks at a time not being used...I live in Melb and work in Canberra and Sydney flying back and forth each week unless like Xmas I will drive due to the time in Melb so it is just a freeway car.

Here is the email I have sent the Ford dealer where the car is again trying to get fixed and note the different klm readouts on each photo showing the frequency of failures and it being ok in between each failure:

Please see attached photos of the transmission warnings I experienced again with this time every 25 to 30klms from Gundagai to Sydney, each time requiring me to pull over and wait 15mins before I can get going again.

Just after each time it happens the tacho would start revving up and down with a feeling that it was kangaroo hopping every time the tacho went back down to 2,000rpm. It was as if the car was trying to get into gear but was not able to connect causing the tacho to rev back up, then back down again, a bit of a clunk and hop of engagement then disengagement and tacho going back up again. Please see the videos at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9Z6sksKKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfXCHgMQ15s

I have received replies from other Mondeo owners who have/are experiencing the same or similar issue, one is currently at the Ford dealer at Tamworth and to date I have not heard of any fix for that one.

This is an ongoing issue and the 3rd time it has tried to be rectified. The vehicle has traveled Syd to Melb with no issue and Melb to Gundagai with no issue before the issue started again. The vehicle only does freeway driving with the cruise control set to 110kmh, there is extremely little local driving as it is just simply parked in the garage between trips...I live in Melb but work in either Canberra or Sydney and in most cases fly back and forth.

One interesting thing which may not be relevant or not but generally I get around 6.2 to 6.4 litres per 100klm however lately and especially when the issue arises I get 5.5 litres per 100klm although the tacho remains at 2,000rpm with the cruise control set, but as I said, it may not be connected at all but still strange.

This being the 3rd attempt to rectify the issue, I am very seriously concerned about the lasting impact/damage done to the transmission that may present itself in years to come when my voice will be ignored leaving me with a huge repair bill plus this whole issue has placed an enormous amount of inconvenience on me when driving the vehicle and now back and forth to dealerships. I am at my wits end, I have had a relationship with Ford for 40 years, and my next step will be to ask for a full refund for the vehicle or a new replacement or a completely new transmission and all associated components after taking the matter to the ACCC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (84.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (106.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (105.8 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (102.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (104.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (100.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (94.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (102.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (78.4 KB, 47 views)
2019 Focus Titanium with sunroof and HUD
Ibaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: