View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MD Diesel Transmission Woes

Hi Ian,

I think we have the same model car. MD titanium Wagon build date September 2016, so I would expect that the gearing would be identical.

Now I can say that our car , at 110kph, shows less than 2000 RPM on the rev counter, but I'm not sure by how much - from memory about 1800 RPM, perhaps a touch higher.

So my suspicion is that your gearbox is not upshifting to sixth gear and staying in fifth gear. Under level highway running I would expect that the car wants the higher gear and when there is no result from an upshift command it flags a (transmission?) problem after a time period. There may be other concerns too based on your description.

Have you tried using the shifter paddles? I note that all the photos you show have the transmission in D and I can't see the cruise control tell tale indicator either active or in standby.

If you haven't I'll suggest that you do. Make your upshifts at about 2500 RPM and when you get to fifth gear check the RPM at 110KPH. If it shows the 2000RPM you have reported and then you try to upshift to sixth gear and nothing happens then the suspicion is that the shift actuator is malfunctioning.

In these gearboxes gears 1, 3 and 5 operate off one of the clutches and 2, 4 and 6 operate off the other. This allows an even number gear to be selected whilst power is transmitted through an odd numbered gear and vice-versa, then changing gear is nothing more than disengaging one clutch whilst engaging the other.

The problem could also be due to the even numbered gear clutch actuator being intermittent. Or a combination - either way a fix, if it's mechanical, means opening up the gearbox.

But it might be faulty software. Do you know if the service centre has cleared the gearbox software and reloaded the latest version?

Oh, at the distance you have travelled, it might be you are not on the original tyres (235/45-R18 rubber), if this suspicion is accurate and you are running something different, then the RPM figures will be different from our car. For example if you happen to be running 235/40-R18 rubber the RPM versus KPH numbers you have quoted would be pretty much correct.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: