View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #8
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUII Rear Windscreen Seal

Sorry guys, I've only got as far as completely removing the old moulding.

The old moulding has rigid plastic which is moulded to shape around the glass and has a rubber 'flap' moulded to it. The new mould is just one piece flexible rubber, made to the same basic shape as the original. Hope that makes sense.

It's pretty clear that the original mould was already fitted onto the glass before the glass was installed to the car. In areas (especially the corners) the adhesive used to stick the glass in has touched the mould and trapped it, making it hard to cleanly remove in areas.

This just means the old mould does not come off cleanly, or in one piece and leaves behind some remains trapped under the glass/adhesive which I've then had to go back over and "dig" out carefully with a plastic spudger and a small metal pick tool.

I'm hoping now with the old moulding removed, the remains removed and the area cleaned up, I can wait for a warm day to install the new rubber. A warm sunny day should mean it will conform to shape nicer during installation and I plan to use a couple of spots of windscreen sikaflex to stick it down in key areas (especially the bottom where the join is), might have to put a spot on each corner too, will see.

Turning into a bigger job, but I still think the result will be positive. The old moulding was so incredibly shot so anything should look better than it was and should still come in under $100 and I'll have about 20m of this stuff left over.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: