View Single Post
Old 14-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
guym

Default new mondeo for aus

Just read on Drive.com.au that ford are about to annouce bringing in the Mondeo. Very good move. Finally ford are starting to recongnise that the large car is in real trouble for a number of reasons, fuel prices just one of the big important reasons.

2 years ago I suggested that ford should bite the bullet and dump the falcon for a better car such as the mondeo or build the focus here, but a bloke called Zetec (who at the time worked for ford, don't know if he still does) got stuck into me, questioned what would I know and defending ford management for continuing with the large car. Well to you Zetec all I can say is history is fast proving I am correct.

The day of the large car is coming to an end. the drop of of sales in the large car segment is continuing to decline. Mitsubishi is in trouble with the 380 and they have annouced the second face lift in the cars history and its not even two years old. And I won't mention project phoenix. And now ford are showing their hand about the trouble of the large car segment.

There seems to be a lot of talk around these days about the future of the car industy in this country and the car makers keep talking about how the government should put in more money and subsidies to the industry. Well its about time the industry itself should take some responsibility. Its ability to miss read the market at the moment is disgraceful. 4 car makers in this country and only one of them is building a 4 cylinder car, the rest continue to build large petrol guslers. If the likes of Mitsubishi and Ford stop production here they have to take some considerable responsibility themselves. Supply and demand requires you to make what the public want and the car industry has been moving to smaller more efficient and better quality for some considerable time.

And my last rant, while I am at it which is along the same theme, is can anyone explain how in this climate of fuel costs and declining large car market does the Commondore get car of the year. I would have thought that it would be thrown out because its just far too expensive to run. But as Zetec would love to point out what would I know. Well lets what history evolve again and lets see.

guym is offline   Reply With Quote