View Single Post
Old 27-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #54
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 120 people killed in DIY car maintenance accidents in Australia since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Then there are the idiots that don't even use a spring compressor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWTg9VaL08
I shudder but feel sorry for him and can relate.

When I was 20 I had my MK 11 GT 1600 and had inserted a second hand rally shop built Kent 1600 into it with twin dcoe 40mm webbers and the car kept blowing diffs with axle tramp.

Anyway I had no-one to teach me mechanics, was self taught using a Haynes manual. Second time it blew was far from home near a servo. Had no one to tow me home and had no money for ramps and car stands.

So I jack the car up and use bricks (found discarded in a rear laneway) to support rear axle- and local servo and mechanic gets me to leave their concrete area, so I set up just outside and set up again on side of public roadway.

Car jacked up, held by brick pyramids both ends, get the axles out and then diff, and remember at end of job of putting in second hand diff one side of the bricks holding drivers side axle up starting to crumble.

I shudder now- but that young guy releasing the spring sorta reminds me of myself when young- learn the hard way with no guidance from an experienced father.

Hope he was not hurt....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: