Thread: Roadtrips
View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Roadtrips

Thought that I'd might start a thread about road trips seeing as we have different forms of holidays on here but nothing about how we get there!

With Bathurst rapidly approaching, and this being a bit of a special year with it being the last year of the Falcon on the mountain, my mate and I have decided that we'll do the road trip across this year in my 34 year old XE Falcon.

This car has been in our family since new with my parents buying it. My brother and I have kept it ever since my dad passed away in 2005. It has lots of memories and photos of family holidays spent in it travelling to different parts of Australia.
This car has basically been a spare car for the family and has spent the last 14 years in storage, hardly being driven. That changed slightly last year when the South Australian Government changed the rules regarding historic registration, meaning that we could finally register it under that scheme. It's been driven to a couple of shows and my brother has driven it around Adelaide a little bit, but it still spends a lot of time under cover not get driven.

That all changed last weekend with the decision to take it over to Bathurst! I've since picked it up from my brothers house in Adelaide and driven it home here in the Barossa. And today I went and got some new tyres put on it as the ones on there, although still had a lot of tread, were quite old and I didn't trust them especially after having an old trailer tyre let go earlier this year. Also bought a few spare parts, namely radiator hoses, fan belts, points, windscreen wipers.

Still to do:
  • adjust the headlights (it's a bit cross-eyed at the moment)
  • change the oil and oil filter
  • check the brakes
  • grease up everything!

Apart from that, it should be a fun drive over in the old girl! Taking a car that hasn't been driven more than 100kms in a day in the last 14 years to do a 2500km round trip to Bathurst. I mean... What can possibly go wrong?

Here she is home on Wednesday night

New tyres getting fitted this morning
20 users like this post: