View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #570
prydey
Rob

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
As I was driving home last night I took note of what a 3 second gap looks like on the road. You could get one and a half B doubles in the gap. No one in their right mind would drive like that all the time.
Do you read that back to yourself and understand just how absurd it sounds? Its 2-3 seconds. How is that going to make a difference in your arrival time? you can still travel at the same speed. Its just a miniscule amount of time that 'could' save you. Why people feel the need to be right up the back of the car in front, when you can't actually go anywhere else, is beyond me.

60kmh, 2 seconds is probably fine. 100kmh 3 seconds is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And the car in front can't just stop instantly. So the reasoning being that you need reaction time that long makes no sense. Unless the person in front hits a brick wall.
A scenario. you are sitting behind a truck with limited forward visibility. They are not paying attention and come upon a line of traffic that is stopped due to an incident ahead. Truck swerves in to next lane and suddenly you are staring at the back of a parked car. Yes, it happens.

People tend to ignore these kinds of things due to how rarely they happen, but they can and do happen. Those that drive expecting the unexpected will have less accidents.