View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Considering Mondeo for next car

sensational review there Allan. That's some good feedback right there. Thanks for taking the time to write that mate.

It's great to see some real world reviews that aren't necessarily biased but are honest and open minded.

It seems to me that the Mondeo be it the TD or XR5T is a class vehicle that seems to provide equipment levels akin to high spec, triple priced elite branded cars out there. FoMoCo sounds like they have done awesomely with this model.

I remember seeing the Mondeo being released in 2008 at the Adelaide motor show when they used to have it and thought WOW, this car looks classy and seems to sport all the latest mod cons. Never did I think I would ever get the chance to consider one seriously until recently.

I am a person who likes to read reviews, check out what others say be it positive or negative so I can be aware, and not get surprises or sales persons looking to pull the wool over my eyes.

Based on the current feedback given so far, I have some minor concerns.
- blind spot and C pillar vision. Is this really that bad?
- turning circle. How bad is bad and is it similar to the AU sedan?
- Brake feedback. Im used to the AU giving me good pedal pressure, are their brake upgrades available?
- Is torque steer a huge issue or just when its wet? Will fitting better & improved shocks help?
- Does the car fit 5 adults with relative comfort? My Liberty was a squash, is it better than that?
- What is the insurance premiums like with these cars?
- Positive and negative feedback on using 95ron fuel if required?

Areas that have been answered that I can cross off the list:
* What is the paint like on these cars? Seems like the quality is pretty high up there.
* How do they handle in windy roads? (i.e. are they floaty) Doesnt seem like it will be a boat and am looking forward to testing the limits within reason.
* Will my bike fit in the back (with front wheel on) I reckon I'll be ok, I may need to add a tow bar but going by the pics, and estimated lengths it should fit ok.
* Can you notice a big difference in performance between the XR5T and TD models? Fun driving performance that is great from factory is what Im after. Seems like the XR5T provides this and more.
* Are people getting the advertised fuel economy figures? I gotta be realistic with this and accept that it will be based on the way I drive more so that the car itself, but if I can get better than 16L from the AU, it's got to be good.
* Are these cars reliable? I haven't read a review stating otherwise yet.
* Is the manual a pig to drive in traffic? Seems like the clutch is manageable.
* are there any auto gearbox issues to contend with in either model? Hard to tell but the auto sounds decent except from the replies of low speed clunking. That's a bit of a worry.
* have you had to get a lot of factory stuff done from warranty? Good to hear nothing major.
* Are all the electrics in these cars fairly reliable? (not after perfect, just reliable) Sounds like its ok.
* What are the typical servicing costs like? Fixed price servicing is good. I hope I can use my current mechanic for servicing rather than Ford though.

I know you can't always take every single review as gospel and I don't, but reviews like Allan's, manamp27, JimStone, and all those who have already commented and added pictures, and have spent the time to explain and offer good advice, make it a pleasure to read and to want to check out a car and put a bloody deposit down right now! LOL

I'll just quickly fill you in on my physical height and weight. I weigh about 80kg and am 5'6", and asian. Not that the last means anything, but I can fit in almost any car due to my body size. My upper torso is a bit longer than my lower but I tend to have the driver seat a bit further back with a bit of a recline for back comfort. I also tend to rest my arm on the door sill a lot. Can I still do this comfortably in the Mondeo?

Please keep the reviews and comments coming. I enjoy reading every bodies view point.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont