View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Exclamation I'm up for a new Torque Restrictor (yay!!!)

I've had a slight vibration on acceleration for sometime now and have kept an eye on it but it doesn't feel right letting it develop so I can pin point what it is. Often you'll see suggestions of drive shafts (or CV's) but I wanted to know first before buying anything.

Now the missus drives sedately so it's left up to me to be that little bit harder on it to clear it's bowels so to speak. This doesn't help tyre longevity mind you but it's mighty fun knowing what the ole girl can do. Well it were noticeable around 80kph accelerating to 100kph, or any low speed and hard acceleration, like the odd urgent slipping into traffic to make your target entry point.

It's like the vibration shakes the front half of the vehicle, not massive but you can't not notice it cause it's normally smooth at that point. So last weekend it were due it's 230K service and whilst it were up in the air I took advantage to go looking for the problem. Nothing visually so I finish the service and give the rear main it's usual procedure (aka clean down) the oil patch is the size of two packet of smokes nothing out of the ordinary, the lower cover isn't full of engine oil and that's a good indicator so I'm happy to leave it as that.

Whilst the floor is drying I fill the engine oil and give it a start up alls good oil pressure is up. I remember I've given no thought about the engine mounts so whilst the car is up in the air I put my foot on the brake and shift into drive......WELL!!!

Through the gap from the bonnet and the windscreen I see the engine moves way more than I had ever seen it. I get the missus to keep doing (N-D) whilst I'm looking at the top engine mounts. Sure it's rocking on those but there's no other signs of those perishing, so I get on the ground and look for the lower one and yep there's all the movement right there. I get online and find it's quite common for that lower mount (also called a Torque Restrictor) to be hit up more and weaken/fail and between the Petrol and Diesel, the Diesels torque mashes this one in particular. All this time (5yrs) its been me that's caused it to fail. I might be kinder moving forward now.

Anywho....aftermarket online sees me happily put ~$40 down to replace it FEBEST FM-CA2, how good is that, that's why the title has yay in it, it's a cheap fix. The beauty about it is it doesn't need any special setup to remove it's two bolts and its out. The engine won't drop, it doesn't need to be supported.

Whilst I'm on ebay, I decide to buy a set of clips (red) and screws for the underbody tray Moorooka Ford/Darra Ford had molested all 10 of them and left 4 (one for each corner) which weren't tight as I'd like them to be. Should have done this years ago. Oh and got two new front tyres Michelin Primacy 3 ST (finally!!!!) I've been stuck on PS3 and PS4 all this time because they're a great tyre and timing, they have been on sale when I've needed some. I'm keen to find out how they go NVH wise, so far I'm liking them.

Hope it helps someone down the track.

Last edited by cobrin; 03-04-2019 at 12:36 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: