View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
There's a fair few differences between a NA XR6 and the T version from factory. The engine itself is different (lower static compression better conrods and valve springs etc.), then there's the turbo, intercooler, pipework, ECU is different (it's got extra inputs and outputs, not just the tune), this means the engine loom is different too, gearboxes are different (auto's are strenthened, different torque converter, manuals get bigger clutches), diff is different (non turbo get s BW78, turbo and V8 get the BW84), those little turbo badges aren't cheap (lol).

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff. So parts will cost you a bit, plus it's essentially a full rebuild of the car, so labour will kill you. If you could do the work yourself it'd still probably take several weekends (car unusable for weeks).

As suggested, investigate a car swap instead, will be cheaper both now and in the long term.

The engine loom is the same, only there is an 'extra' loom to control the turbo.

I looked into doing a turbo conversion. And it was a pretty easy job and woulda cost very little.

You do not need to run a turbo ECU. As long as you have something like a flash tuner, and a boost controller it'll work. Custom tunes are a must.

COuple of issues are the sump will need to be drilled and tapped for the oil drain line. And due to the higher compression of the N/A motor, boost levels must be kept lowish so as not to lunch it.

If anyone wants to know more, PM me. If you were gonna go turbo, but didnt want to buy a new car,doing the conversion would be the easiest solution.

Doing a transplant would just be a waste and not very cost effective.

Edit:- As far as I am aware, the 4spd autos are the same in N/A and T models. Only difference in driveline is the turbos come with a solid drive shaft (n/a's have a hollow) and LSD as standard.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: