View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 03:10 AM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What did you buy after your Mondeo?

I've been thinking about a mid-size SUV as a replacement for my MB. So it's been interesting to drive a CX5 rental for the last 3 days.

The biggest issue, and probably a deal breaker, is the lack of load area - about half that of the Mondeo with the rear seat up. With the seat down, no way could we fit our tent and camping gear, and I'd struggle to fit my work stuff sometimes.

The power was good if you revved it, typical Mazda, but a bit gutless compared to the diesel MB. I suspect it would struggle fully loaded on typical hilly roads in NZ as with just me, it would often drop 2 or even 3 gears accelerating uphill.

It was the AWD model and the handling was a real surprise. Very little understeer so there must be some drive to the rear wheels, and high grip levels. It did have the typical SUV feel of big, heavy wheels on bumpy roads.

I did not like the brakes at all. Not much bite in normal driving - I nearly rear ended another car in the first 10 minutes!

Very comfortable seat and good driving position, and much better for my dodgy back than a car.

A mixed bag of electronics. Loved the HUD and the radar blindspot thingy, but the stereo was a pain to use while driving. I would love to have proper Bluetooth in the MB though.

So not really an option, but not a bad choice. Definitely better than the previous model RAV4 which is very common in rental fleets in NZ.

My son the Toyota salesman (how the hell did that happen, LOL) tells me the new RAV4 is very good. But they are expensive here, apart from the petrol 2WD model obviously intended for the rental market.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 03-08-2019 at 03:20 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote