View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #42
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The curtains go down for Holden

Yep, the VT to VYII era they were on an absolute roll, and it's this that will be remembered as well as the HQ era into the future for Holden fans. You can get AWD utes of 2 or 4 doors, an AWD wagon, 2 door Monaros and AWD Monaros of this series!

That coincides with the last Ecotec 6s. Yes they had VZ, but that debuted the Alloytec which I can remember as no different to drive, with a stinging surprise in the timing chains and sludging.

It was always the everyday motor, the 6, that was the volume and the experience for most people, so we are lucky Ford's I6 was so good for so long.

How they fell from grace, IMO

1) Alloytec
2) End of local production, they lost their main unique selling point. - Stefan whatsisname, the GM exec saying Australians would have to be educated to FWD... yeah, nah.
3) Australia deciding it would be the only free market free trade nation, when all others protect, good onya DFAT. Well, at least we now know what happens.
4) No local SUV like the Territory. Their attempt (Adventra) failed, and they substituted the Craptiva. A Commodore and SUV from same platform may have been a bit more resilient
5) Ford left. Supplier base insufficient
6) High AUD as of mining boom.
7) Overall expense to build.
8) Parent company woes post GFC.