View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #32
Dave1966

Default Re: Army Night Flying - Sydney 07-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Novice pilots ??? Really ??
As somebody who worked in close proximity to military aircraft for 20 years, and have lived within easy seeing and hearing distance of where roKWiz goes bike riding, for the past 30 years, I am finding this NIMBY 'objection' unbelievably amusing.
If world relations really go to s*** during the next few years, and we get invaded by Russia/ China/ Indonesia/ New Zealand, how much notice is required regarding dates and targets and for environmental impact studies is required.
What happened in Pearl Harbour and Darwin in 1942 ?
That’s a pretty long shot there old mate!
YOU live near a military airport you get military aircraft noise, pretty simple. You live near a main road, you get traffic, you don’t live near these facilities well it’s not unreasonable to expect the low flying chopper is about to impact something in the near future unless your given a heads up.

“Novice pilots” yep, they aren’t born with iceman sunnies and hairdos, the military usually recruit and train their pilots, and they conduct military exercises as training. It’s quite possible theses guys are under instruction whilst conducting these manoeuvres.

I’m sure a excercise is slightly different to an invasion, giving folks impacted a heads up is by no means unreasonable, they aren’t saving us from imminent invasion by Tonga, it’s a simple exercise with no harm keeping the public informed. Comparing it to an invasion such as Darwin or Pearl Harbour is totally out of context. These military exercises are no different to any other activity that impacts the general public, they should be notifying those impacted.

Like I say, these guys do a great job and I’m all for the training, it would be great to watch, but there is absolutely nothing to gain from not doing the right thing and keeping the public on side. I can assure you if it was in a different area that mattered they would be playing a different game.

Oh and by the way, I used to live next door to an ex serviceman. He was less than unscathed by his military years at war. I always gave him a heads up if I was doing anything loud, his wife gave me the drum one day after he almost jumped out of his skin when I was using a jack hammer. This bloke would have been under the table in a puddle of you know what if he heard a chopper fly over at 50’. Its simple respect for others in my book.

Last edited by Dave1966; 10-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: