View Single Post
Old 15-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Default Re: What did you buy after your Mondeo?

byrnzy wrote : It was an eye opener how difficult it was to replace a 11 year old car purely on like to like features.........

I play this game often. My 2010 XR5 118,000kms is rather nice, goes well, ecomonical, just too big now for my needs (kids grown, moved out...). The XR5 original $44k price for the features was a big winner at the time (Mazda 6 lost out).

Todays reqts - still needs to be 3-pedal manual (rare, I know), equiv or better features as XR5, smaller than XR5, can have a towbar bolted on for those few times i need to tow our small box trailer, turbo for efficiency and that wonderful flat torque curve, able to carry that large purchase from Bunnings occasionally.
The choices = not much in hatchback or wagon. SUVs are out.
So: VW Golf R $60K, 2019 Focus ST is till coming, Levorg maybe but a ^$%%$$ CVT only (our pre-XR5 2003 Outback dual-range manual was a good package), Volvo V40 T5 $60k but auto only.

And then I start thinking what other 70s or 80s classic I could buy for my $60K (with aircon, maybe cruise), and keep the Mondeo until it expires or I expire, whichever occurs first.

Or just get that MX5 RF GT black-roof in Eternal Blue that I'm lusting after, and keep the XR5 (hey, two ''5''s in the driveway !!).
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: