View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #35
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should I buy a Mondeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
DSG is another can of worms. The DSG in the Mondeo is a wet clutch model which is different from the Getrag dry clutch transmission fitted to the Focus and Fiesta which has caused so much woe. I haven't heard of any problems with the Mondeo DSG but never the less I agree with you that it isn't worth taking a chance when there are plenty other makes with reliable torque convertor transmissions. Both Toyota and Honda tried those automated dual clutch manual boxes, had trouble and dropped them. Volkswagen/Audi use them but have had a large number of failures usually just after the warranty expires. VAG are not sympathetic to the owners of failed DSG boxes outside the warranty. Hyundai/Kia are now fitting them but it is too soon to tell whether they will be reliable. Strangely enough dual clutch automated manual transmissions are supposed to be fine in Volvo and DAF trucks but I expect that they are heavy duty models.
It is odd that car reviews and manufacturers adverts only state that the transmission is automatic without saying what sort of automatic - DSG, TC or CVT. They give plenty of information about the engine.
Which Toyota/Honda had automated dual clutch gearboxes ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote