View Single Post
Old 13-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #67
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
I've noticed the diesel Mondeo only has 96kw compared to the 100kw in the Focus TDCi, I had a look at the UK Ford website and it's that way because it's an automatic. Shouldn't make that much of a difference, but I can't help but feel that some people may want a manual diesel and that isn't even available here.

Car is looking really good for the price though
Well despite the fairly uninspiring power figure, apparently it performs well above expectations. Here's a quote from a recent road test, in which the driver claims the XR5 version was unable to shake the 2.0 litre diesel automatic!

"The six-speed automatic diesel was able to keep up with the five-cylinder car with relative ease. The automatic gearbox shifts with remarkable speed and smoothness on its own and at the behest of driver override, to the extent that while the ultimately sportier petrol five-cylinder was entertaining, punchy and easy to listen to when revving out, the diesel was always ready to match it for urgency, especially on unfamiliar roads.

In contrast, the turbocharged five-cylinder was mildly disappointing in the Mondeo, unlike its more impressive response in the lighter, smaller Focus XR5. I feel it copes less well with the Mondeo's bodyweight than the diesel does."

The rest of the article can be found here:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...1416&pg=1&vf=0
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote