View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #66
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

You make a good point, the profit must be huge.
I wonder if the margins are out the factory gate or whether the AU distributor/SAIC australia (if it exists), make the cash because of "special AU" pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"The MG brand – which was synonymous with small and affordable sports cars throughout much of the 20th century – is yet to build a performance-oriented product under current Chinese SAIC Motor ownership.

If accurate, this would place the British-badged coupe in competition with the performance figures claimed by the Porsche Taycan 4S and Tesla Model 3 Performance."
Is it just me or does anyone else hate the way they downplay the Chinese part and play up the name?

Like they always say something along the lines of historical british marque (chinese owned said quietly). Rather than just saying be open and honest about the whole thing and stating it's a Chinese designed and manufactured car (the badge is irrelevant anyway, just a recycled name they bought to help flog the cars and motoring journalism is running with it for some reason -$$$$$)

E: to put it clearer these advertorials have done this since the brand relaunched. Muddy it up to make it sound like Chinese investors bought a British car factory, rather than the reality that a Chinese car factory just bought the rights to a badge.

Last edited by oldel; 07-02-2021 at 12:55 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: