View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 10:07 PM   #79
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
A lot of companies throw around Europe as a general term. Usually 'European styling' or 'European Design' Never trust a company that uses vague locations to sell stuff.

I saw a product last year that said proudly in huge letters "Made in Europe"
It peaked my interest since Europe is a huge and diverse place, so I looked into the product. Turns out it was made in one of those small Eastern European countries that are probably less advanced than the developing countries that print their name as inconspicuously as possible on the products they make.
I do recall hearing ads with "european style and handling" can't remember which brand. But I distinctly remember it was either BMW, Audi or VW that specially marketed the "german engineering". Having owned a BMW Z4 when I was in the UK, I can 100% understand why they would use it in the marketing. The build is bloody spectacular, everything is just solid. Shame the engine consumed 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The chinese manufacturers are doing it simply to deceive potential buyers into believing it comes from somewhere other than china.
I don't think you are giving enough credit to average joe public. If I'm going to spend $30k+ on a car I'd sure be talking about it and looking it up, and it wouldn't take long before the "its made in China" comes up. Just google any of the brands and the search results will generally come up with something about chinese ownership. LVD Australia's website, about us section, even spells it out in black and white. All those MG car reviews almost certainly brings up the "its now owned by China".

Anyhow, if they are trying to deceive then they are doing a terrible job. If I was trying to deceive you I'd be setting up several shell companies all over Europe as a front, then add some obscure shareholding arrangements, to make ownership more of a puzzle on google. They are obviously not going to use "made in china" on the ads, its not exactly a sexy selling factor
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: