Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Jaguars and Land Rovers have been saved with a £5billion investment from their Indian

British car plants making Jaguars and Land Rovers have been saved with a £5billion investment from their Indian owner.

The massive injection of funds by Tata will save thousands of jobs and create many more, including 1,500 at the Halewood plant on Merseyside.

Two other manufacturing sites which had been under threat, at Castle Bromwich and Solihull in the West Midlands, will also be retained.

Saved: The Land Rover will continue to be built in Britain after the cash injection

Jaguar Land Rover said the number of models in its range will now be ‘significantly increased’.

The firm has already unveiled a ‘baby Range Rover’, the Evoque, which is being built at Halewood and will on sale next summer.

And bosses have agreed a ‘landmark’ two-year pay deal with trade unions worth 5 per cent from next month, with a further rise of 3 per cent from November next year.

Jaguar Land Rover chief executive Ralf Speth said: ‘This is a triumph for all concerned.

‘Our parent company Tata supported us through the recession and our employees also made sacrifices but now we are seeing a great turnaround in the business and everyone involved.’

The Unite union said it was ‘fantastic news’ for the company and its workers.

And Jack Dromey, Labour MP for Birmingham Erdington, which covers the Castle Bromwich plant, said it was ‘good news in bleak times’.

Old 30-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
LS2 KLR

This comes as a big surprise to me. They both have some of the best vehicles in their class (IMO). I thought they where going gangbusters. Good news as I do like the Disco 4 & RR Sport.
LS2 KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And that's why Ford dumped its PAG luxury brands, they chew up heaps of capitol.
Ford decided that they did not want to pay for this product cycle so sold J/LR
to Tata for around $2 billion and thus avoided having to spend around $7 billion.

That right there is a $9 billion turn around for Ford....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Great news for JLR and the motor industry in general.
Old 31-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That right there is a $9 billion turn around for Ford....
If you ignore the resulting cut to revenue. A bit like governments privatising their assets - short term gain, but potential long term pain.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does Tata expect a ROI?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
If you ignore the resulting cut to revenue. A bit like governments privatising their assets - short term gain, but potential long term pain.
Considering these companies had been costing ford lots of money over a long period of time i'd say great move. Also add to that the figures ford are putting out at the moment i don't see how they're a great loss. I don't think we'll see long term pain coming from the decision to move them on.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Rich@NDRS
Starter Motor

very good news for britain especially with the way things are going here.
Rich@NDRS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

one of the biggest differences here is that Tata is not pressed by its shareholders for short term proffits. As shown by Tata before, they are quite willing to put in the money and keep the company going.
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Not if there is no revenue to begin with. PAG cost Ford a lot of money to keep the lights on.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Does Tata expect a ROI?
Probably not, the real money will be leaching of manufacturing technologies and techniques back to India. Plus the prestige of an Indian owning an English institution.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Performance Auto group was long term pain for Ford, selling for a pittance actually saved Ford billion in next product cycle commitments for jag, LR and Volvo, the whole lot was looking like close to $10 billion that Ford didn't have. Imagine Ford's bottom line if they had kept J/LR and Volvo, continued loss after loss for 2009 and this year - no Ford recovery... no, not happening that why they were sold.

The world has changed for J/LR and Volvo, those types of vehicles will struggle to get good returns for their new owners but Ford has 9 year supply contract for power trains to J/LR and similar for Volvo.....
Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Land Rover is a complete basket case, inovative products but hopeless product reliablity.

BMW purchased them and ended up "borrowing" 4WD expertise for their X5 range rather than continue with Land Rover. Despite BMW's best efforts it was too hard to bring Land Rover up to modern day reliability. BMW lost billions of dollars on the deal and on-sold Land Rover to Ford.

Ford spent even more billions of dollars trying to get Land Rover right and still failed. Ford have now on sold Land Rover to Tata.

If two of the bigger, better and well established car companies with all their resources can not make Land Rover work, then what hope does Tata have?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Allan Mullaly was a genius to off load these companies when he did. Jaguar ate so much money in the two decades Ford owned the company and Ford got very little in return.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/10...mium-vehicles/

Excellent!! Looks like Jaguar is pioneering KERS, an ingenious alternative to heavy hybrid systems. Which means LR will probably get a variant too.
There was recent talk of JLR using Lotus' 3 cylinder range extender, but I suspect it has gone quiet. With those two, Jaguar would take Lexus,VAG (lol), BMW and Mercedes to school with eco-lux cars.

Tata could really benefit from using JLRs British engineers and facilities too. Since Aston is pushing the envelope of taste with Cygnett, I reckon Jaguar could get away with a re-trimmed Tata Nano based Jag.
Like the original Mini (and tastefully executed RR/VdP Minis), it seems to have enough egalitarian appeal to pull it off IMHO. Someone ought to photoshop one for laughs.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Performance Auto group was long term pain for Ford, selling for a pittance actually saved Ford billion in next product cycle commitments for jag, LR and Volvo, the whole lot was looking like close to $10 billion that Ford didn't have. Imagine Ford's bottom line if they had kept J/LR and Volvo, continued loss after loss for 2009 and this year - no Ford recovery... no, not happening that why they were sold.

The world has changed for J/LR and Volvo, those types of vehicles will struggle to get good returns for their new owners but Ford has 9 year supply contract for power trains to J/LR and similar for Volvo.....
*Premier Auto Group.

I always wondered what Tata were thinking buying something that they knew would not be profitable, they got the XF and part of the XJ paid for by Ford but now they are on their own. I would have liked to have seen LR go back to BMW and Jag somewhere similar, I'm not sure Tata knows how to handle the brands, besides throwing money at them.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
*Premier Auto Group.

I always wondered what Tata were thinking buying something that they knew would not be profitable, they got the XF and part of the XJ paid for by Ford but now they are on their own. I would have liked to have seen LR go back to BMW and Jag somewhere similar, I'm not sure Tata knows how to handle the brands, besides throwing money at them.
In this Simpson's episode, picture:
Homer as Ford
Trampoline as Land Rover
Krusty as BMW

"Hey Krusty, I'm bringing back the trampoline"
Krusty grabs shotgun and says, "You just keep right on Driving.."

Enjoy...\The Simpsoons - Trampoline Nightmare
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/10...mium-vehicles/

Excellent!! Looks like Jaguar is pioneering KERS, an ingenious alternative to heavy hybrid systems. Which means LR will probably get a variant too.
There was recent talk of JLR using Lotus' 3 cylinder range extender, but I suspect it has gone quiet. With those two, Jaguar would take Lexus,VAG (lol), BMW and Mercedes to school with eco-lux cars.
KERS and Hybrid systems are the same. Youre confusing KERS with flywheel hybrid systems which in their most commonly use forms replace a battery with a flywheel, but both still both have a motor/generator.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #19
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
KERS and Hybrid systems are the same. Youre confusing KERS with flywheel hybrid systems which in their most commonly use forms replace a battery with a flywheel, but both still both have a motor/generator.
No I'm not. Flywheel energy recovery system is KERS, as used in F1, Porsche press literature for GT3R Hybrid and Ferrari HY KERS.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Corzza

They are not flying as high as everyone thinks. Even lexus took a tumble last month

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
No I'm not. Flywheel energy recovery system is KERS, as used in F1, Porsche press literature for GT3R Hybrid and Ferrari HY KERS.
Flywheel KERS was never raced in F1. The Mercedes and Magnetti Marelli systems were both battery systems.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post